Potato cakes with zucchini and onion
  Re: (...)
This was a good side dish for a sole menu I made a few nights ago. I wasn't keen on a full starch that evening sooo combined the starch and the veggie.

I made a major blunder when I went to panfry them though---you MUST use a non-stick pan---what a mess I made with my regular pan---that's what I get for not paying attention to the recipe---anyway, the dish was salvaged. It was better with a dollop of sour cream and chives on top.

Nice change of pace--and easy to prepare!!

Issue 59 page 21

I know someone else mentioned this along the way but I don't think a critique was given.

Potato Cakes with Zucchini & Onion
Makes 12 cakes; total time 35 minutes

Combine 3 cups zucchini
1/2 tsp kosher salt
Stir together:
Prepared zucchini
3 cups russet potatoes, grated (1 1/2 pounds)
1/2 cup onion grated
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 t. cayenne
Olive oil

Combine zucchini and salt in a colander. Let drain 5 minutes, then wring dry in a kitchen towel.
Stir zucchini and remaining ingredients together (except oil). Heat 2 T. oil in a NON-STICK skillet over medium low heat. Drop potator mixture in oil by 1/4 cup measures and flatten to 1/2 inch thick. Saute cakes until potatoes are cooked, about 5 minutes per side. Fry in batches, using additional oil if needed. To keep cakes warm, place on a baking sheet lined with a rack, cover with foil and hold in a 200 degree oven

Per 2 cakes: 216 calories; 30% calories from fat; 7g total fat;32g carb; 621mg sodium;3g fiber; 7g protein
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Potato cakes with zucchini and onion by Roxanne 21 (This was a good side...)
Hi there, Roxanne! I made these, too. We enjoyed them very much. The cheese addition was nice in this recipe and just the right compliment to flounder for us! My Mom ate with us that evening and she has made them a couple of times since.

Very simple and a repeat for us. (I fried mine in my cast iron skillet with no sticking issues.)
  Re: Re: Potato cakes with zucchini and onion by dollop (Hi there, Roxanne! ...)
Nice one! I like all veggie fritters, tatters and anything, pumpkin and corn, carrot and parsnip, anything and everything.
  Re: Re: Potato cakes with zucchini and onion by vannin (Nice one! I like a...)
Oh my, I don't think I've made these, will have to go check. They sound good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Potato cakes with zucchini and onion by cjs (Oh my, I don't think...)
I was wondering what I could sub for the zucchini...not yellow crook neck...they will not eat them in any shape or form. They will eat acorn and butternut squash, but I don't know how to sub with those. To me, they sound excellent!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Potato cakes with zucchini and onion by bjcotton (I was wondering what...)
Billy, I think the recipe used the zukes to lighten up a basic potato pancake. I've done the same thing shredding carrot and onion. But the parm cheese really set this off for me! We really enjoyed them...very basic.

I have a recipe for an eggplant patty that is very much
like this recipe.
  Re: Re: Potato cakes with zucchini and onion by dollop (Billy, I think the r...)
My turn to ask YOU for a recipe dollop dear. Please post eggplant patty recipe. Eggplant is my very mostest favorite veggie. Thanks in advance, maybe a new thread so it doesn't get lost?
yummy I can hardly wait
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Potato cakes with zucchini and onion by farnfam (My turn to ask YOU f...)
I'll be glad to.
  Re: Re: Potato cakes with zucchini and onion by dollop (I'll be glad to....)
I DID make these - Sept. 9th - so many recipes,so little memory capacity I had them with T-Bones and Roy raved about that dinner for days. Nothing real spectacular, but just really tasty!

Billy, if no one came in the kitchen while you were prepping the the 'cakes' - I'll bet anything they wouldn't even know they were in the mix - plus they are healthy!! Good way to sneak things in - shredded.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Potato cakes with zucchini and onion by cjs (I DID make these - S...)
They swear they can tell if they're in anything. My older sis has a recipe for some kind of fruit jam made with zukes I'll have to get for you. Maybe I'll just make them and if they mutter about it I'll eat 'em all myself.

Everytime I make something they say they don't like and later tell 'em it was in there they always say, "I knew it, I just didn't say anything." Me thinks they lie a lot too!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy