Lasagna Soup
  Re: (...)
After so many of you mentioned making the Lasagna Soup, but no one had mentioned it when we were critiquing the Soups Book, I checked out the soup in the Dec. '05 (Issue #54) and it's the same darn soup - except they dropped the can of tomato sauce.

But, the interesting part of this, checking the nutritional info on each??????? I'd love to know how they came up with these magic numbers...

per cup:
Issue 54 Lasagna soup - Cal: 214; fat: 12g; sodium:762mg; carb: 15g

Splendid Soups & Sides - Cal: 309; fat: 18g; sodium: 943mg; carb: 20g.

And the only difference? Splendid soups increased their count by omitting a 10 3/4 oz. can of tomato sauce...proof positive that nutritional info is sparkle dust grabbed from the sky.

Whatever - the soup is really good and I think the next time I'll just add the can of tomato sauce and let it be healthier...

The spiced Parmesan Twists are great with the soup! Overall, with the ambience of a foggy nite, I'd give this dinner an 8 1/2.

Soup Season is definitely here!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Lasagna Soup by cjs (After so many of you...)
Sparkle dust? How many calories in that? LOL
cj, I would love the Parmesan Twist recipe, if you've got a minute to post it. Thanks in advance
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup by farnfam (Sparkle dust? How m...)
That's right, you're the holdout on buying "the book" aren't you?? here tis -

Spiced Parmesan Twists

Makes 12 twists Total time. 25 minutes

COMBINE:
2 T. Parmesan, shredded
1 t. kosher salt
1 t. ground black pepper
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. paprika

UNROLL; BRUSH AND SPRINKLE WITH:
1 tube refrigerated breadstick dough (11 oz.)
1 T. olive oil
Parmesan spice mixture

Preheat oven to 375°; line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine Parmesan and season¬ings in a small bowl.
Unroll dough onto a lightly floured surface (do not separate into breadsticks yet). Brush with oil and sprinkle cheese mixture evenly over the top.

Separate dough at perforations, then grasp both ends of each piece and gently stretch to 10-12" long. Twist into a spiral and arrange on the prepared baking sheet 1/2" apart. Bake 15 minutes, or until golden; cool breadsticks on a rack for 3 minutes before serving.

Per twist: 90 calories; 29% calories from fat 3g total fat; 13g carb.; 374mg sodium; Og fiber; 3g protein
C@H Splendid Soups book
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup by cjs (That's right, you're...)
Thanks cj, they look good and easy too. Yes, I guess I'm a holdout on the book. Am I the only one? I've barely skimmed Weeknight Menus yet, and there are still back issues I want to peruse more completely.
ps We're having the pork stuffed pablanos and walnut sauce tonite.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup by farnfam (Thanks cj, they look...)
fingers crossed that you like them as much as we have!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup by cjs (fingers crossed that...)
I have been eyeing that lasagna soup recipe for quite a while now---soo many things to try---mmmm--gotta do this one though---MY ISSUE IS COMING!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup by Roxanne 21 (I have been eyeing t...)
Mine is coming too! We're not much for soups, but after listening to y'all, we're going to be since they mostly eat what I feed them
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup by bjcotton (Mine is coming too! ...)
There you go Billy - take the upper hand!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup by cjs (There you go Billy ...)
We love soups! This book is a real treasure for us.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup by Half_Baked (We love soups! This...)
Did you find the pasta for this? I haven't seen it in any stores here, but I'm guessing that just breaking up curly lasagne noodles might work? (Also, San Juan Islands, CJS? What a wonderful cozy place to live and cook! I love Seattle and I love Victoria and anything within a 100 mile radius of all of the above.)