3 T. water
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
Pinch of salt
2 TBS heavy cream
1 TBS unsalted butter
1 TBS dark rum, optional
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Arrange in caramel:
3-4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and quartered (I sliced into eighths because DH likes his apples a little more mushy)

For the cake---
Melt and Brown:
1 stick unsalted butter
Whisk together; Add:
1 cup sugar
1 cup Granny Smith apple, grated (1 apple)
Browned butter
2 eggs
Minced zest of 1 lemon
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
Dust with:
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Simmer 1/2 cup sugar, water, lemon juice and salt for the apples in a 9 or 10" skillet over medium heat (I used my cast iron skillet). Cook, swirling the pan, until mixture is golden, 6-8 minutes. Off heat, carefully stir in the cream (caramel with sputter), butter, rum and vanilla; cool slightly.

Arrange apples in the caramel, packing the pieces tightly (they shrink during cooking); set aside.
Melt butter for the cake in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook until milk solids turn brown, about 5 minutes, swirling the pan often. Set browned butter aside to cool slightly.
Whisk 1 cup sugar, grated apple, browned butter, eggs, and zest in a bowl. Add flour, salt, baking powder and spices; whisk just to blend. Place the skillet on a baking sheet, spread batter over apples in the skillet and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool 10 minutes, then invert onto a serving platter.
Dust warm cake with powdered sugar before slicing. If desired, serve with raisin sauce and whipped cream.

RAISIN SAUCE
MAkes 1 cup Total time 15 minutes

Simmer:
3/4 cup apple juice
3/4 cup raisin (dark or golden)
1/3 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
6 whole cloves
Juice 1/2 lemon
Pinch of salt
Combine; Whisk in and add:
1 TBS dark rum or apple juice
2 tsp cornstarch
2 TBS unsalted butter

Simmer apple juice, raisins, sugar, spices, lemon juice anad salt for the raisin sauce in a saucepan over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Combine rum and corstarch in a dish, then whisk into simmering sauce: cook until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, add butter and stir until melted.

I made this a few weeks ago---it will be a nice comfy autumn dessert for you guys. The raisin sauce was a nice addition to the cake--didn't need the whipped cream but I'm sure that would be nice as well.

I often have dessert type things around because the neighborhood security patrol will stop in for a coffee break and whatever goodie might be sitting around. Most things are gobbled up in no time-- DH loved this dessert, great following a lightish type meal. Can't remember what I had for dinner but it was a nice ending.

Lorraine--did you make this yet??? You mentioned it along the way--would be wonderful in Canada with your cold temps!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy