Dinner Critique for Oct. 16 - Jalapeno Beef
  Re: (...)
I guess I get up earlier than everyone else - plus the old woman is retired, so I manage to get to c@h before you all and critique first....this time I'll wait to hear what a few have to say, then add mine...Here we go!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner Critique for Oct. 16 - Jalapeno Beef by cjs (I guess I get up ear...)
Here's my review Jean:
First off,and I hope this doesn't disqualify us, but we couldn't bear to cut that lovely London Broil into pieces so this is what we did.
Coated and marinated that LB with a mixture much like Bill's Southwestern Beef and grilled it very rare.
Followed the rest of the recipe without change and added the thinly sliced pieces of LB to the sauce before topping the polenta. It was terriffical!! . The polenta was so good with the cheese and the just hot enuff sauce on top. We loved it, will definitely make again. 8.5 Yums
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Oct. 16 - Jalapeno Beef by farnfam (Here's my review Jea...)
I should've written down my critique since it seems like I made this months ago. Darn that CRS.

I loved the polenta and the sauce but my top sirloin was really tough and I cooked it MR, in the chunks. I will make this again but I'll do it like FarnFam by thinly slicing the beef and I'll cook the meat on the grill in the future.

I'll give this an 8.5 also since I can't blame the meat and I do plan on making the recipe again.

This is the 2nd piece of meat that has given me trouble and I'm blaming the supermarket, not the recipes (or my cooking ).
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Oct. 16 - Jalapeno Beef by Half_Baked (I should've written ...)
Good Morning, Y'all!

This recipe was well received at our house. DH made a special trip to the Butcher for me as most available top sirloin for us is pretty lame! (I used the remaining TS for the Baked Potato Soup ...so I think we made the right move there.)

I followed the recipe as written.

DH gets a little nervous with "heat" so I used a mild chili powder to balance the red jalapenos.

I thought it was interesting to use the tortilla in the sauce.

This was a "pretty" dish, as well, and DH remarked on that aspect.

The polenta was perfect for the plating here.

The only thing I may do differently is add Smoked Paprika to the sauce next time (only because I love the influence with all things tomato).

I would give this a 9. Our sirloin was nice and tender, the flavors very balanced, and presentation was right on the money for us!

For dessert I made the Cream Cheese Flan (thank you again, Jean)! This was a perfect pairing to dinner.

Next!
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Oct. 16 - Jalapeno Beef by dollop (Good Morning, Y'all!...)
It really is a pretty dish, isn't it?
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Oct. 16 - Jalapeno Beef by Half_Baked (It really is a prett...)
Yes it is! And I believe that is important when planning meals! I garnished with fresh chives and the contrast was so pretty: red, white, green, against the beef.
I decided to step back here to say...DH said to please plan this meal again when his cousin and her family come to visit us in ~ 3 weeks. That is truly rare for him, as he never makes a suggestion when meal planning. He always leaves it up to me to decide. So he really enjoyed his dinner!
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Oct. 16 - Jalapeno Beef by dollop (Yes it is! And I be...)
Well, I'm in the minority on this one - first off - I think Sirloin (and Round) are tasteless pcs. of meat, but I wanted to go with the recipe as written.

I found I liked all the components of this dish, but putting it together, the umph just was not there.

Would probably do the steak/jalapenos/sugar/chili powder/oil mixture again - loved the flavor. And liked the polenta with jack - have done that before and will again. The sauce also will probably be a repeat in another context.

I'm bummed now, 'cause I've already made the dishes for the 31st - have nothing to look forward to for a while - will have to content myself with the Splendid Soups mag. I guess...

"For dessert I made the Cream Cheese Flan" - Dollop, I'm so glad you liked the flan!! Must make this again - with company or we'll eat it all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Oct. 16 - Jalapeno Beef by cjs (Well, I'm in the min...)
I was planning to make this last night, but the commissary didn't have sirloin. I have no idea what to substitute for different cuts of meat, so I was going to check out some other stores today and make it tonight. Any idea what cut I can use instead of sirloin if I can't find it? Thanks!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Oct. 16 - Jalapeno Beef by TwilightKitten (I was planning to ma...)
doing this again, I would choose a loin - like a strip loin piece (or club steak - don't know the names of cuts in other areas), but that's a personal preference. I hope you get some other suggestions
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Oct. 16 - Jalapeno Beef by cjs (Well, I'm in the min...)
Jean, what seemed to be missing for you here? I am so surprised that you didn't enjoy this. Maybe our beef made a difference, it was very tender for a sirloin, but I thought the overall dish was really good. I will say that sirloin is not my choice of meat. Maybe the dish would be improved with a rub for the sirloin?

My dried chiles were Ancho, from The Spice House, and recently purchased for chili season.

The flan is sinful! I hope all of Y'all will make this lovely dessert!