Move over Jalapeno Beef, in cometh chili!!
  Re: (...)
Today was cool and rainy, chili just fit the bill.
I've been wanting to experiment with my chili.

I loved the sauce that was served with the Jalapeno Beef recipe. I kept taking little spoonfuls to taste...then it doned on me, why not add that to chili!???!

I made the sauce, blended it as in the recipe and added it to the cooked beef! We all have our own recipes for chili (some tried and true, some still a work in progress [me]), so I won't bore you with all the other ingredients; did add cocoa tho. But, I just thought I would let you guys hear about this change! It was a tasty one!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Move over Jalapeno Beef, in cometh chili!! by Bizymomma (Today was cool and r...)
What a good idea! I bet it added a nice layer of flavor.
  Re: Move over Jalapeno Beef, in cometh chili!! by Bizymomma (Today was cool and r...)
"I kept taking little spoonfuls to taste..." - me too - good idea. It's clean out the frige nite, tonite, so I'll be adding it to something also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Move over Jalapeno Beef, in cometh chili!! by cjs ("I kept taking littl...)
Great idea - maybe I'll win my chili competition this year!!
  Re: Re: Move over Jalapeno Beef, in cometh chili!! by carolekv (Great idea - maybe I...)
Hmmmmmmm, I haven't made chili for years! Maybe it's time.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Move over Jalapeno Beef, in cometh chili!! by bjcotton (Hmmmmmmm, I haven't ...)
We like chili maybe 2X per year---I have to think about the addition of chocolate, many have raved about it. Now the question---I have a recipe that we absolutely think is the best--how would I incorporate a chocolate taste??? Again--chili is a personal thing and we all come up with our favorite--really curious what that chocolate will do---help please.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Move over Jalapeno Beef, in cometh chili!! by Roxanne 21 (We like chili maybe ...)
Roxanne, The recipe I have uses round steak in the chili. Brown the meat and remove, sweat the onions and garlic, add spices and saute 1 minute, add chili pwdr and unsweetened cocoa and saute 1 minute. Proceede with recipe adding back in beef, tomatoes, etc. I think you could incorporate that into any recipe.

You don't really taste "chocolate" it just adds a good depth of flavor.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Move over Jalapeno Beef, in cometh chili!! by esgunn (Roxanne, The recip...)
I agree,...I added almost 2 Tbsp. of cocoa into mine. It didn't taste chocolately...I don't know, the taste is kind of hard to explain, but good. I'll probably always add some now.
Loving every moment of my life!!
Does anyone have the Jalapeno Beef recipe? I don't remember this one. Perhaps it was before my time here.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Move over Jalapeno Beef, in cometh chili!! by luvnit (Does anyone have the...)
Is this the one you're talking about?

Jalapeño Beef with Polenta and Chile Sauce
(Cuisine at home, October 2006, Issue 59, p. 38)

Makes: 4 Cups Beef, 3 Cups Polenta, 11⁄3 Cups Sauce Total Time: 45 Minutes Rating: Easy

Saute, Add, and Puree:
1/2 cup onion, sliced
2 dried chiles, seeded, torn
1 corn tortilla, torn
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 T. vegetable oil
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 T. fresh lemon juice
Salt to taste

Boil and Fold in:
3 1/2 cups water
1 cup polenta
1 t. kosher salt
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated

Saute and Add:
1 1/2 lb. top sirloin, cut into 1" cubes
3 red jalapeños, sliced
2 T. vegetable oil
1 T. sugar
2 t. chili powder

Saute onion, chiles, tortilla, and garlic for the sauce in a saute pan in 2 T. oil over medium-high heat. Cook until onion softens, then add broth and tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium, simmer 2 minutes, then transfer sauce to a blender. Puree with lemon juice until smooth. (While blending, leave the top ajar covered with a towel so steam can escape.)Season with salt.

Boil water in a saucepan over medium-high heat; gradually whisk in polenta. Add salt, reduce heat to low, and cook 5 minutes, stirring often; fold in cheese. Keep polenta warm off heat.

Saute beef and jalapeños in a saute pan in 2 T. oil over high heat. Cook until beef is browned but rare in the center, about 5 minutes. Add sugar, chili powder, and salt to taste; saute another minute. Serve beef over polenta with chile sauce.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy