Pita bread
  Re: (...)
Cis,
Have you posted your recipe for pita bread? If not, will you when you have time?
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Pita bread by Bizymomma (Cis, [br]Have you po...)
Glad you asked Angela dear,
You will need:
1 C of warm water (85 - 115 f)
* 2 scant teaspoons of active dry yeast
* 1 tsp salt
* approximately 1 ½ to 2 C all purpose flour.
Place all dry ingredients in a bowl or food processor. Gradually add water til dough forms. Knead about 5mins by hand, 45seconds in machine. Divide into 12 pieces,raise in plastic covered bowl til double, roll flat into circles and let rest @10min. Heat a cast iron pan quite hot and set one circle on, flip often it should *PUFF* before too long, but sometimes some don't. They're done when they're lightly brown and puffed (or not). Cover with plastic and keep warm til ready to serve (but not too long)
Hope you have fun
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Pita bread by farnfam (Glad you asked Angel...)
Sweet! Thanks!
  Re: Re: Pita bread by Bizymomma (Sweet! Thanks! [img...)
If I wanted to make whole wheat, would the flour amount stay the same?
  Re: Re: Pita bread by farnfam (Glad you asked Angel...)
Now that is a VERY different recipe from mine--I will try this and see what the difference is---I kind of like mine baked though. Sounds like a fun experiment!!

Thanks, Cis
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pita bread by Roxanne 21 (Now that is a VERY d...)
Roxanne.
Go ahead and post yours too! I'm curious to see the difference!
  Re: Re: Pita bread by Bizymomma (If I wanted to make ...)
I think about the same, but maybe a bit less. Whole wheat tends to be drier IMHO. So either a little less flour or a bit more liquid. How about half white and half wheat flours, they'd be softer and nicer that way. Btw, I think I use high glute flour for these, but I can't remember darn!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Pita bread by Roxanne 21 (Now that is a VERY d...)
Me too Rox, I'd like to see how others do theirs. Mine is kinda made it up as I learned it type thing. Lets see yours
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Pita bread by farnfam (Me too Rox, I'd like...)
Me too - I haven't made these since the days I wanted the kids to see how every darn thing under the sun was made/grown/whatever....don't think the kids ever gave a rat's a$$ tho.

Anyway, it's time to get back to the Mother Earth thang.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pita bread by cjs (Me too - I haven't m...)
The San Francisco Chronicle ran an excellent article on flatbreads on 11 October. It ought to be available for awhile at:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...LJPVP1.DTL
Can't wait for the cookbook they mention to come out.