Split Pea with Ham from Splendid Soups review
  Re: (...)
The recipe for the split pea soup basically was the same recipe that I usually make but the few changes made quite a difference.

Using dry sherry to deglaze the veggies really made a difference. I use sherry in so many recipes that now I'm rather surprised I never tried it in pea soup before. Guess that's why C@H chefs make the big bucks.

Instead of the bacon and ham, I added a smoked turkey neck because I was more interested in the smoked flavor than the meat.

The addition of the frozen peas is excellent and the dollop of sour cream/lemon zest/mint just brightened up the taste even more.

I give this soup a solid 9. Mr HB gave it a 6 but that's because he's gotten really tough at rating...roflmao. If I ever get an 8 or 9 from him again, I'll know it's one of the best dinners he's ever had in his life.

This is the Split Pea Soup recipe that I will use until the next super star comes along, probably in Splendid Soups II.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Split Pea with Ham from Splendid Soups review by Half_Baked (The recipe for the s...)
WHAAAAA!!!!! Can't wait to get my issue---*sigh* You all are having such a great time with this issue it will be nice to plate up some of the delights---I have always added a touch of sherry to the last stage of the cooking process for pea soup. I bet it would be really great to deglaze with---never thought of that---hmmmm!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Split Pea with Ham from Splendid Soups review by Roxanne 21 (WHAAAAA!!!!! Can't...)
Well, this is pretty much the whole recipe, Roxanne. I used 1.5 c stock and 5c water and 1/2 c each of celery, carrots and onion...and a pinch of thyme.

The recipe called for 2 c ham.
Jan

Re: Re: Split Pea with Ham from Splendid Soups review by Half_Baked (Well, this is pretty...)
I haven't received my copy either Roxanne. I am waiting patiently..picture me standing by the mail box, arms crossed and toes tapping, with a glare firmly fixed to my mug!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Split Pea with Ham from Splendid Soups review by bjcotton (I haven't received m...)
Quote:

I haven't received my copy either Roxanne. I am waiting patiently..picture me standing by the mail box, arms crossed and toes tapping, with a glare firmly fixed to my mug!

I think I've seen a picture like that, of you!
Jan

Re: Re: Split Pea with Ham from Splendid Soups review by Half_Baked ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I can't say I'm adding the Pea soup to my list, 'cause every one in the book is on my list!!!! I've never added sherry to my pea soup and I'm anxious to try it.

I'm going to add another 'critique' to your post Jan - the Poblana-Corn Chowder is also another winner!!! I still have some corn stock left so used 1/2 & 1/2 with chix stock.

And... the Crab Toasts - yes!!!

has anyone not liked a soup from this book?? I sure haven't. Roxanne and Billy, if there is a soup you really want to make from our critiques so far, let us know and we'll post it for you - you know, with murphy's law, the will insure your copies will arrive the next day...

P.S. Had to add, we had a bottle of a blend Shiraz-Malbec, '05 Dona Paula Estate from Argentina with the chowder and crab toasts that turned out to be just a perfect match. What a treat when something blends so well!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Split Pea with Ham from Splendid Soups review by cjs (I can't say I'm addi...)
I ordered my copy Sept 20th, and it arrived last week. Patience, Billy!!! ( I have none, so picked up a copy a few weeks ago at the grocery store. )
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Split Pea with Ham from Splendid Soups review by Half_Baked (The recipe for the s...)
To the top for another review of the Split Pea with Ham Soup.

We liked the soup very much and especially the dollop of sour cream, lemon zest and mint - what a great flavor adder!!

I also made the go with - Crab Salad Wraps. Sorry to say these things went in the garbage after two bites!!!! Have never done that with a C@H recipe before, but these were just bad.

But, will certainly make the soup again - and the garnish.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Split Pea with Ham from Splendid Soups review by cjs (To the top for anoth...)
"what a great flavor adder!!" I hate to tell you this Jean, but an "adder" is a venomous snake ; so, the sentence should read, "What a great flavor(ed) adder that was!!" OR, "What great flavor that adder added!"
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Split Pea with Ham from Splendid Soups review by bjcotton ("what a great flavor...)
go find your room, Billy!!
www.achefsjourney.com