Buttermilk Recipes
  Re: (...)
My great-uncle used to make these for us when we were kids and they have been a family favorite all my life!

WALLACE'S PANCAKES
Recipe By: Wallace Thatcher

6 T. flour -- rounded (9.3 oz)
3 1/2 cups buttermilk (may need more)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda -- rounded
1/2 teaspoon baking powder -- shy
2 eggs
3 T. bacon grease
3 T. sugar

Mix all together & pour ~1/3 cup size pancakes. Turn as soon as top is full of bubbles.

This hotcake batter should be quite thin, use as much buttermilk as needed.
Description:
"the greatest pancakes (& now waffles) ever, from Uncle Wallace (my
Great-Uncle)"
------

I think the hotcakes and my mother's Roquefort dressing are the two favorite 'buttermilk' recipes in my life.

My mother always made this dressing in a large dinner plate that had a little depth to it - so, I have one dinner plate just like that - doesn't match anything else in house - that I keep just for this dressing...

ROQUEFORT DRESSING

Smash one pkg Roquefort cheese (approx 3-4 oz) with a fork in a shallow dish or plate.
Add 3/4 cup buttermilk, a tablespoon at a time combining w/the fork.
Add:
2 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise
grate 1/2 tsp. onion
mince 1 clove garlic
salt & pepper
3 drops tabasco
1/4 tsp. worcestershire

Mix this well with a fork, but keep those beautiful lumps of cheese. Don't be tempted to use a processor.

-----

BUTTERMILK COLESLAW
Serving Size : 8

8 c cabbage -- finely chopped
1/4 c carrots -- shredded
3 green onions -- chopped
1/3 c currants
1/3 c crushed pineapple -- drained
1/3 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 c 2% low-fat milk
1/2 c mayonnaise
1/4 c buttermilk
1 1/2 Tbsps white vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsps lemon juice

Cut cabbage, carrots, gr onions & combine w/currants and pineapple if used.

Combine sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayo, buttermilk, vinegar & lemon juice.
Beat till smooth; add to the cabbage & carrot.
Mix well, cover & refrigerate.

--------
Of course you need buttermilk to make your own creme fraiche - this is from a friend, June Jacobs

CREME FRAICHE
makes about 2 cups

2 cups whipping (heavy) cream preferably NOT ultra-pasteurized
1/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature

1. Warm cream in heavy small saucepan to lukewarm (85 degrees F). Remove from heat and mix in buttermilk. Put the mixture into a clean glass jar (that has a tight-fitting lid), Leave the jar open and cover with a piece of waxed paper fastened with a rubber band. Let it stand in a warm draft-free area until slightly thickened, 24 to 48 hours, depending on temperature of room.

2. When the cream has "clotted," remove the paper and replace it with the lid. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Teacher’s Tip Stored in this manner, the Crème Fraîche should keep until you've used it up (and made more!) Like fine cheese, it may develop a "skin", but you can remove it and use what's underneath.
----

and of course marinate your chicken pieces in buttermilk before frying!!!
---

Someone else's turn.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Buttermilk Recipes by cjs (My great-uncle used ...)
About how many pancakes will that recipe make Jean? Are they quite thin? With the 800 pounder home I would need a lot of them if they are
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Buttermilk Recipes by cjs (My great-uncle used ...)
Here is a wonderful recipe.

White Chocolate Muffins with Cheesecake Filling : 16 muffins

Cheesecake filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/8 teaspoon salt

Streusel topping:
1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

White chocolate muffins:
3 ounces Swiss white chocolate, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup buttermilk, divided
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped

Make the cheesecake filling:
In a small bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, sugar, egg and salt.
On low speed, beat until creamy. Set aside.

Make the streusel topping:
In a small bowl combine the almonds and sugar. Set aside.

Make the muffins:
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
Line 16 muffin cups with paper baking cps and set aside.
Place the white chocolate and 1/4 cup of milk in a small bowl and melt according to the directions in the Chocolate Key.
In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir with a wire whisk to combine. Set aside.
In a 4 1/2-quart bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla extract; beat well.
Using a wooden spoon, stir in the melted chocolate. Gradually add the flour mixture alternately with the remaining 1/2 cup milk.
Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir to mix well.
Stir in the dried cherries.
Spoon half of the batter into the 16 paper-lined muffin pans.
Spoon 1 slightly mounded tablespoon of the cheesecake filling over the batter and top with remaining batter, filling two-thirds full.
Sprinkle the streusel topping over the muffin tops.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool 5 minutes and remove from pans to cool completely. When cool, store the muffins in a plastic bag or airtight container.

"Melting chocolate to use as a baking ingredient for candy work or decoration requires gentle heat. Chocolate that is overheated may scorch, lose flavor and turn coarse and grainy. Stir melting chocolate after it has begun to liquefy. Because of the sensitivity of milk solids to heat, milk and white chocolates should be stirred constantly while dark chocolate need only be stirred frequently during melting.
Here are two good methods for melting chocolate so that it is smooth and glossy:

Chocolate Key:
In a microwave oven:
Place coarsely chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe container and microwave at MEDIUM (50 percent power) for 1 1/2 to 4 minutes, until the chocolate turns shiny.
Remove the container from the microwave and stir the chocolate until completely melted.
Stir milk and white chocolate after about 1 1/2 minutes. Because of their milk proteins, they need to be stirred sooner than dark chocolate.
If overheated, these chocolates may become grainy.

In a double boiler:
Place coarsely chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, not simmering, water.
Melt the chocolate, stirring until smooth."

Adapted from: Chocolatier March 2000
  Re: Re: Buttermilk Recipes by bjcotton (About how many panca...)
Yes, they are pretty thin - I make them ~4 - 5" - you can't really make them much bigger because you want to turn them as soon as the top is full of bubbles, but it's not cooked thru, so you'd have a he!! of a mess. Maybe try them as a snack for gorilla-man and see. I've never paid attention 'cause by now I don't use the recipe, and I just eyeball and hope I've made enuf.

Good Lord, dollop....why don't you post something that will make us drool????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Buttermilk Recipes by cjs (Yes, they are pretty...)
Well, they are good! I hope Y'all will try 'em!

How 'bout this...I use buttermilk in my mashed potatoes! We folks in the South enjoy that little "twang" and I sub buttermilk for milk in most recipes.

Check out this cake recipe from Foster's Market. http://www.fostersmarket.com/Recipes/but...kcake.html

It is "delish" and also wonderful with the lemon curd!
  Re: Re: Buttermilk Recipes by dollop (Here is a wonderful ...)
Dollop,

Recipe printed! Sounds really good, and great for the sis who can't eat regular chocolate. I'll do these for Thanksgiving AM.

Ooooh-maybe with dried cranberries!! And macadamias, my Mom's favorite.

Thanks!

PJ
  Re: Re: Buttermilk Recipes by dollop ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
I'm almost afraid to look...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Buttermilk Recipes by cjs (I'm almost afraid to...)
Don't look, Jean...trust me - don't look.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Buttermilk Recipes by Half_Baked (Don't look, Jean...t...)
I bet you took a quick look!
  Re: Re: Buttermilk Recipes by dollop ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
That is just disgusting Dollop! You look at that and you teeth immediately begin griting with a sugar high. It reminds me of I think it's one of Maida Heatter's cookbooks with a fresh berry torte and some type of creamy filling between the layers...your mouth is deluged with saliva and your teeth begin to hurt I could eat the whole thing.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy