Savory Cole Slaw and Tortilla Chicken w Avoc. dip
  Re: (...)
Made this in addition to the soup.

THE BEST COLE SLAW I EVER HAD.I did skip cayenne since my b/f is not a really spicy food eater. I personally loved the chicken and the avocado sauce and so did my friend. On the other hand my b/f was just OK with it. He did take seconds but said that fried chicken is better. It also could be that he is now deprived of fried foods and so he is craving it.

P.S Issue #52
  Re: Savory Cole Slaw and Tortilla Chicken w Avoc. dip by piano226 (Made this in additio...)
Must have skipped right over this one - it does look good and we eat mostly oven-fried chicken these days, darn it.

(If you spray the coating with Pam before putting it in the oven, you can also skip the browning in butter/oil step-it'll bet good color in the oven)

Thanks for bringing this one up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Savory Cole Slaw and Tortilla Chicken w Avoc. dip by cjs (Must have skipped ri...)
According to the latest and greatest from different research...Olive Oil is not only good for you...but apparently is necessary especially for heart patients...sooooo...i basically make everything now with olive oil...so i browned mine in that.
  Re: Re: Savory Cole Slaw and Tortilla Chicken w Avoc. dip by piano226 (According to the lat...)
Oh, us heart folks have known that since at least '93 ( ) Olive, canola, etc. are all good for us - no cholesterol. But, since I quite working and I'm not running around like a crazy woman anymore, I need to watch the fat intake also.

I have a particular favorite soup recipe that I'll p.m. you for you to try - I would make it even if it wasn't from my favorite heart healthy book. I'll do it in the a.m.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Savory Cole Slaw and Tortilla Chicken w Avoc. dip by piano226 (Made this in additio...)
I made this recipe from Issue 52 a while ago and was a BIG hit!!! The salsa was homemade though because we are a little more on the mild side. Avocado dip---terrific!!! And I agree--the slaw was very good, have added to a few other menus along the way. Easy to prepare too!!!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Savory Cole Slaw and Tortilla Chicken w Avoc. dip by Roxanne 21 (I made this recipe f...)
Could someone please post those recipes, please? TIA
  Re: Re: Savory Cole Slaw and Tortilla Chicken w Avoc. dip by dollop (Could someone please...)
I will over the weekend--sorry I didn't get to the forum sooner--it is a good tasty recipe!!
  Re: Re: Savory Cole Slaw and Tortilla Chicken w Avoc. dip by Roxanne 21 (I will over the week...)
Thank you, Roxanne! <big hug> I appreciate it and I'm sure it is yummy!
  Re: Re: Savory Cole Slaw and Tortilla Chicken w Avoc. dip by dollop (Thank you, Roxanne! ...)
Tortilla Chip Chicken

Makes four 3-4 oz. pieces
Total time: 45 minutes

2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6-8 oz. each)
Salt and pepper
8 oz. plain tortilla chips
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup purchased bottled salsa
3 TBS. olive oil
Avocado dip
Savory slaw
Tomato wedges

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Prepare breast halves by trimming fat and slicing each in half lengthwise. Season with salt and pepper.
Pulse tortilla chips in a food processor until coarsely ground; transfer to a shallow dish. Place flour in a second shallow dish, and in a third blend egg and salsa together with a fork.

Dredge both sides of chicken in flour, then dip into egg mixture to coat. Transfer chicken to ground chips and pat them onto both sides; place on a baking sheet or plate.
Heat oil in an oven-proof saute pan over medium high heat. Saute chicken 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Carefully flip chicken, then place the pan in the oven. Roast 8-10 minutes, or until cooked through. Serve with dip, slaw and tomato wedges.

Tip--you could also crush the chips in a plastic bag with a rolling pin.

Avocado Dip
Makes 2 cups
Total time: 10 minutes
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted
1/2 cup milk (whole or 2%)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 TBS. jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 TBS. chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste

Puree avocado, milk, and sour cream in a food processor or blender. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until smooth.

Savory Slaw
Makes 4 cups
Total time: 10 minutes

1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 TBS fresh lime juice
2 TBS honey
1 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp cayenne
3 cups packaged coleslaw
1 cup red cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Whisk mayonnaise, lime juice, honey, salt and cayenne together in a large bowl.
Add remaining ingredients; toss to coat.

ENJOY!!!
  Re: Tortilla Chip Chicken by Roxanne 21 (Tortilla Chip Chicke...)
Thank you so much! Looks like a wonderful recipe.