French Market Soup - Heart Healthy
  Re: (...)
Thanks for asking about this soup Billy - it is now finally in my Master Cook - I've been making this since '93 and we all just love it. I even made it for a dinner party with lots of sourdough bread and most took the recipe home with them. It's definitely worth the effort.

FRENCH MARKET SOUP
8 quarts (32 cups)
You can use the qty of various beans listed below, or substitute 1 lb. mixed beans and add ¼ cup barley

1 recipe Bean Soup Stock (see below)
3 tablespoons dry yellow split peas
1/4 cup pearl barley
1/4 cup dry black-eyed peas
2 1/2 tablespoons dry green split peas
1/4 cup dry pinto beans
2 1/2 tablespoons dry pink beans or small red beans
2 1/2 tablespoons dry garbanzo beans
2 1/2 tablespoons dry lentil beans
2 1/2 tablespoons dry lima beans
1 1/2 tablespoons dry mung beans
1/3 cup dried black beans
28-ounce can plum tomatoes, diced
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
6 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 chicken breasts, skinned, boned and diced

In a stock pot, heat stock just to boiling (do not boil); reduce heat to simmer. Thoroughly wash peas, barley and beans; add to stock. Add tomatoes, onions, celery and garlic; simmer, covered, 3 hours, or until beans are tender. Add chicken; cook 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.

NOTE: This soup is sensational and well worth the effort. Finding all these types of beans may require shopping in more than one supermarket. The dry beans will keep for months. As a timesaver, measure out the beans for several recipes and store them in plastic bags. (Note: I make this soup so often, that this is what I do and the bags of beans are always ready to go!!

SERVING SUGGESTION: Good with homemade bread and fresh seasonal fruit.

BEAN SOUP STOCK
3 quarts
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon marjoram
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons celery seed
1 meaty ham hock, about 2 1/2-3 pounds
3 quarts water
1 tablespoon salt
Measure parsley, thyme, marjoram, bay leaves and celery seed into a square of cheesecloth and tie cloth securely at the top with a string. Combine with ham hock, water and salt in a stock pot. Bring slowly to a boil, removing scum (and fat) as it floats to the top. Cover and simmer 2 ½ - 3 hours.

(Do not boil or fat will be reabsorbed into the broth, making it cloudy.) Refrigerate overnight. Skim and discard fat that floats to the top. Cut ham off bone, reserving only very lean meat. Dice and return to stock pot with season¬ing pouch. Discard ham bones and ham fat. Use stock at once, or store in refrigerator or freezer for later use.

APPROXIMATE NUTRITIONAL CONTENT PER CUP
Total calories: 16 Protein: 3 g Carbohydrates: Tr Cholesterol: 5 mg , Fat: Tr
Sodium: 240 mg
Percentage of calories from: Protein: 50% Carbohydrates: 19% Fat: 31 %
Don't be too concerned with the high percentage of calories from fat in this recipe. The calories of the stock are so low that even a trace of fat will elevate the percentage.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: French Market Soup - Heart Healthy by cjs (Thanks for asking ab...)
Oh yeah, I have that one. Lorraine is a fan of it too.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: French Market Soup - Heart Healthy by bjcotton (Oh yeah, I have that...)
You mean I already typed this sucker up??? I repeat, Billy, take back your CRS...it's driving me crazy!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: French Market Soup - Heart Healthy by cjs (You mean I already t...)
See, if you had it in MasterCook you wouldn't have to type it everytime. I have all of my favorites, including the ones we fix on here, in MasterCook...plus about 1,500 I've yet to cook
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: French Market Soup - Heart Healthy by bjcotton (See, if you had it i...)
I could swear I already posted here. I don't think I've ever seen dried mung beans unless they are at the health store to use to make bean sprouts.

I'm going to have to start eating healthier since I've run wild this summer. When the dr weighed me, I had gained 5# and I know it was cream sauces and cake.

I've been dreaming about the walnut cream sauce for 2 days.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: French Market Soup - Heart Healthy by Half_Baked (I could swear I alre...)
"walnut cream sauce for 2 days."
oh thanks for bringing that up, Jan!!

You know, you might try your library to see if they have Piscatelli's book - and you could check out some of his dishes - I swear I would cook from it just for the food flavors.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: French Market Soup - Heart Healthy by cjs ("walnut cream sauce ...)
My library has NOTHING. I'll have to look for him at the bookstore.

I've just been thinking about the walnut cream sauce on BBQ like Dale suggested. That just sounds so good to me.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: French Market Soup - Heart Healthy by Half_Baked (I could swear I alre...)
Quote:

I could swear I already posted here. I don't think I've ever seen dried mung beans unless they are at the health store to use to make bean sprouts.

Thanks for linking to this, Jean.

Oddly enough, with all the things we DON'T have here, the supermarkets actually have green AND yellow dry mung beans. I've done a little searching, but what do any of you know about other uses for the dry mung beans, not just sprouts and soups?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: French Market Soup - Heart Healthy by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
This soup is about all I use them for, I'll look around at the recipes I've saved that looked good.

This soup is so good!
www.achefsjourney.com