CLAMS WITH SAUSAGE AND CHICKEN
  Re: (...)
This recipe is a perfect example of Clams and sausage working together in a dish - and to add another element to it, it's great served over Fried Rice.

* Exported from MasterCook *

CLAMS WITH SAUSAGE AND CHICKEN

Recipe By :Tastes of the Paific Northwest

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

2 medium onions -- sliced thinly
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic -- minced
½ pound spicy sausage -- cut into ½ inch slices (a Chorizo sausage will work in this dish also)
¼ pound prosciutto or smoked ham -- chopped finely
1 whole chicken breast -- skinned, boned and cut in 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups tomato pulp (seed and juice or use canned tomatoes)
½ cup minced Italian parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
1 small bay leaf
1 jalapeno pepper -- seeded and minced
½ cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
3 pounds steamer clams

1. Sauté onion in butter and olive oil over medium heat in large skillet until lightly colored, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes. Stir in all other ingredients except clams. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to cook chicken and evaporate most of liquid.

2. Place clams on top of mixture, cover, raise heat to high and steam until clams open, 5-7 minutes. (Discard clams that don't open.) Serve in warm bowls.
Serves 4-6

The principal ingredients of this dish retain their distinctiveness while coming together in a spicy, aromatic broth that should be sopped up with crusty bread. As the British learned in the tropics, the best season for hot, spicy food might well be when it's hottest. A chilled, Pacific Northwest Sauvignon Blanc or cold beer or ale from one of the region's many microbreweries would be an ideal accompaniment.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: CLAMS WITH SAUSAGE AND CHICKEN by cjs (This recipe is a per...)
Jean,
This sounds yummy!! The perfect winter dinner!
Well living where I do, clams are only availbe for a month or two. I have access to frozen mussels. Would those work in place of the clams?
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: CLAMS WITH SAUSAGE AND CHICKEN by Bizymomma (Jean,[br]This sounds...)
Oh, and about how much does this make? I've got my 12 yr. old son who can sometimes eat more than his father! LOL
Loving every moment of my life!!
Thank you for the recipe...sounds wonderful to me!
Jean, this one sounds so good! My PO (picky one) is half Portuguese, and clams and chorizo is a common (I think) Portuguese dish. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) Of course, I have to serve his separately. The addition of chicken and prosciutto is something I'll try, although now I'll have to separate the chicken as well! The secret is, not to let him know I cook them all together.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: CLAMS WITH SAUSAGE AND CHICKEN by pjcooks (Jean, this one sound...)
Our eaters can just drive us nuts, PJ! I won't have my review for the Chicken tomorrow because Mr HB's son wanted to come over for the games and Mr HB asked me to make him a cheeseburger noodle casserole. I make casseroles when he visits so he can take home the leftovers.

So I'm not going to read the reviews until Tuesday morning.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: CLAMS WITH SAUSAGE AND CHICKEN by Bizymomma (Jean,[br]This sounds...)
Angela, I'm sorry, I forgot to add that - this amount will serve 4-6 (I'd say if 4,they'd be big eaters) and yes, mussels would be fine in this, heck shrimp would probably be good also - it's a great, forgiving recipe.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: CLAMS WITH SAUSAGE AND CHICKEN by Half_Baked (Our eaters can just ...)
Cheeseburger noodle casserole- Can I assume he's in his early teens? I remember those days! Now 2 of my boys (21 and 24) are wishing they were more open minded about food when they were small.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: CLAMS WITH SAUSAGE AND CHICKEN by pjcooks (Cheeseburger noodle ...)
Sounds great Jean, you could call it Chishsauge and confuse everyone. I was lucky with my kids, they ate most things but one would not eat avocados and another would not eat mushrooms, but loved mushroom soups and sauces. Might have been the textures. The other one ate the horse, jockey, saddle and start chewing on the barn.
  Re: Re: CLAMS WITH SAUSAGE AND CHICKEN by vannin (Sounds great Jean, y...)
"The other one ate the horse, jockey, saddle and start chewing on the barn."

Too funny! Kids are funny,, the oldest ate a bit of everything, the middle would only eat the veg and the youngest only the meat- the only green in his day was if Freddy Flintstone was green. I used to worry so much back then about their eatting habits, that I have to laugh at myself now. They're all alive and well. In spite of me.

PJ
PJ