Saltimbocca Chicken Breasts with..... Review
  Re: (...)
now this one was right up our alley!! Really enjoyed!

I did use fresh spinach julienned in place of the arugula - only because I happened to have it on hand.

Rating - 9 Make again - you bet!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saltimbocca Chicken Breasts with..... Review by cjs (now this one was rig...)
I'm sooo excited. Had to run to Walmart today (wait...I go just about everyday, what am I saying??LOL) and found some fresh sage. It was in a package of "Poultry Blend" and was mixed with thyme and rosemary, but I can pick out the sage. I can fix the recipe now!!! yeah!!!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Saltimbocca Chicken Breasts with..... Review by Bizymomma (I'm sooo excited. H...)
Ok, let me try to post this again! I posted and it said it was entered and when I got back to the main page there was NOTHING!

Angela, I'm glad you got your hands on some fresh sage!

Now, the review: DH loved, loved this recipe! We both enjoyed it very much and will certainly repeat this before long. If we "rate" these recipes, then I say~~~9.5!
  Re: Re: Saltimbocca Chicken Breasts with..... Review by dollop (Ok, let me try to po...)
This is probbly a recipe I would have skipped over, not being a big Ceasar salad fan. But glad to have given it a try. For a heartwise change, we used turkey bacon for the prociutto.
Also stuffed with Asiago as it was available. The chicken breasts were very good indeed.
I'm a little confused about the arugula/pasta thing. Was the pasta supposed to wilt the
arugula. Mine didn't. The creamy sauce did not really thrill me but James LOVED it. I followed the recipe but it didn't seem enuff and pasta didn't really get covered well, it seemed dry , same with the wine and sage sauce, not enuff. Over all I'd give it 6 Yums, but James gives it 9, so I'll probbly make it again, but next time increasing the sauce.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Saltimbocca Chicken Breasts with..... Review by dollop (Ok, let me try to po...)
This was an interesting recipe---very different from the saltimbocca I usually make but certain techniques I may incorporate in future.

I was unable to find sage--that appears on the shelves here about twice a year--for about five minutes sooo had to use something else---guess what---OUR FAVORITE---BASIL!!! It worked beautifully in this dish. I thought the arugula was a nice touch to the pasta sauce---had to open a salad pack and pick out the arugula--used the remainder for a nice salad on the side with a simple vinaigrette.

The timing on the stove top seemed to take a bit longer to brown and crisp the prosciutto as stated in the recipe but the end product was nice and moist--pan juices were great but will cut back a little on the lemon juice.

This was a nice dish overall--will most likely make again--but will try to cut back on the fat and salt content with further experimentation---and those calories!!!! YUMMMM!!!

Good choice!! Rate: 8.5
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Saltimbocca Chicken Breasts with..... Review by Roxanne 21 (This was an interest...)
Roxanne, we have many of the same thoughts.

Even Harold said that this would be a perfect dinner for company because there was nothing in the recipe that the whole world didn't like. He thought it was too lemony also but I would have put more juice and zest in. I made extra angel hair pasta and he all but licked his plate.

It took me longer to cook the chicken also....alot longer but my chicken was still very juicy. I guess I cooked it too low. Whatever happened, it worked and was great.

I used spinach instead of arugula mainly because I forgot about it in my hunt for proscuitto. I drove to many markets to get it and I have no idea why my fancy stores didn't carry it.

I really enjoyed this dinner even though I was exhausted and wasn't very organized. I give it an 8.5 and Harold gave it an 8. An 8 means he really liked it.

I do believe that Harold will ask for this dish for dinner before too long.

I definately will lower the fat next time....it was really too much.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Saltimbocca Chicken Breasts with..... Review by Half_Baked (Roxanne, we have man...)
Okay, we LOVED this dish!! Something like this is right up my alley! (is that a southern sayin' LOL!!)

I'm not able to find arugula here, so I subbed in spinach. I read Cis post and decided to make a couple of changes... Of course I had to double the chicken to feed our family. And I tripled the sauce! I love lemon with pasta and chicken. Chicken picatta is one of my favorites, so I had no doubt I would enjoy the flavors here!

Yeah for me!!...I was able to find fresh sage...so pretty much I was able to replicate the recipe.

At first I tried cutting my breasts in half..LOL, but when I started to put the cheese in, the butcher had done such a botched job of separating the breasts that you could see cheese everywhere. I stuck my knife in through the end and was able to make a pocket and slid the cheese in thru the end.

While baking they did leak some...but hey, I'm not picky. Scrape that stuff right off the rack and mound it on!!

I, we, hereby give this dish a 9.5! The stuffing complications is the only reason it didn't warrant a 10! I'm going to forward this recipe to my family. They will love it too!

GREAT CHOICE ERIN!!

Oh yes, and mine did take a lot longer to cook than the recipe stated. I took mine out of the oven at 10 minutes and it was still 130deg. inside. Popped it back in under the convection for a bit. That worked. It was still juicy!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Saltimbocca Chicken Breasts with..... Review by Bizymomma (Okay, we LOVED this ...)
The flavors were well received, but I should have used a thermometer on the chicken, it wasn't done. Smelled heavenly while cooking. The neighbors microwaved the chicken and then finished the meal. The Savory Monkey Bread and the Savory Orzo were both big hits. They gave it an 8.5 even though the chix wasn't done, I gave it a 7.0. I thought it was more trouble than it was worth.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Saltimbocca Chicken Breasts with..... Review by bjcotton (The flavors were wel...)
* I thought it was more trouble than it was worth.*

I thought I was just rushed and discombobulated (sp) but it was a pita. I will be more organized next time and will have my mise en place ready for each section before I start. It was my fault for trying to stay one step ahead instead of having everything ready to go.

The next time I make it, it wont't be the same dinner but close enough with the flavor.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Saltimbocca Chicken Breasts with..... Review by Half_Baked (* I thought it was m...)
Don't know if this idea will help anyone or not...but, as I get older ( ), I find I just don't enjoy prepping, cooking and cleaning up at 4 or 5 p.m. Nowadays, every dish I make I do anything and everything I can do ahead of time, like in the a.m. (for those of you still working, this wouldn't work, but some things can even be done the day/nite before)

I did the cheese 'insertion' and wrapping of the prosciutto in the a.m.; mise en place all together either on the counter or in the frig on a small sheet pan and dinner was really a snap.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com