I'm blind and have blisters on my 'clicker' finger
  Re: (...)
This weekend I went through every page of the [Email]C@H[/Email] site and copied recipes that were posted from the magazine, and some personal ones also. I figured that this way I'd know what you were talking about when you referred to a recipe from the past plus be able to cook some of the oldies but goodies.

There are 7 recipes that I would like to have after reading all the reviews and would appreciate it if at sometime someone would post them over the next month or so. I definately know that these recipes aren't posted:

Mushroom Pork Marsala with Fettucine Noodles
King Crab Louis Sandwich
Tarragon Cream Chicken and Artichokes
Polenta Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
Sugar Steak Salad
Polenta Cake with Gorgonzola Butter Filling (I can't read my writing so I think this is the name. My hand was cramped from typing at this point )
Roxanne - there was a Sesame Fried Chicken that you said was only 1/4th of the recipe. I think it turned into a salad.

Having read 190 pages, I am more enamoured of the magazine than I was even before. There are some really fine dinners out there that I'm dying to try.

There are 4 people that kept this site going and I'm sure there are more but these 4 stand out in my mind - Gloria, TwighlightKitten, Roxanne and VegasDramaQueen. You were so gracious with your time that [Email]C@H[/Email] should have put you on the payroll. I know there are more but I'm rather brain dead this morning. Thanks to you all. Cheers!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: I'm blind and have blisters on my 'clicker' finger by Half_Baked (This weekend I went ...)
King Crab Louie Sandwich
(Cuisine at home, August 2006, Issue 58, p. 11)

Makes: 6 Sandwiches (21/2 Cups Filling) Total Time: About 40 MInutes Rating: Easy

For the Crab—
Whisk Together:
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 T. green bell pepper, minced
2 T. fresh lemon juice
2 T. ketchup
1 T. scallions, thinly sliced
1 T. minced fresh parsley
1 T. prepared horseradish

Fold in:
2 cups king crabmeat (10 oz.)
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
Salt and pepper to taste

For the Sandwich—
Assemble:
6 soft sandwich rolls, halved, toasted
8 Bibb lettuce leaves
Crab Louie mixture
1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
12 cooked peppered bacon

Whisk first 7 ingredients together for the crab in a large bowl.

Fold in crabmeat, bell pepper, celery, and seasonings.

Assemble sandwiches on rolls with lettuce, crab mixture, avocado, and peppered bacon.
Tammy
  Re: Re: I'm blind and have blisters on my 'clicker' finger by TwilightKitten (King Crab Louie Sand...)
Tarragon-Cream Chicken
(Cuisine at home, April 2003, Issue 38, p. 34)

Makes: 4 Servings Total Time: 30 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

Season:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

Dust Chicken with:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Saute Chicken in; Remove:
2 T. olive oil

Add:
8 oz. white mushrooms, halved if large
3 oz. prosciutto, sliced

Add:
1 cup dry white wine or low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream

Return to Pan:
Browned chicken

Stir in:
2 t. minced fresh tarragon
1 t. apple cider vinegar

Garnish with:
Minced fresh chives

Serve over:
Toasted bread

Season chicken with salt and black pepper.

Dust each breast with flour, shaking off any excess.

Saute chicken in olive oil over medium-high heat in a saute pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cook until lightly browned on both sides, 5–7 minutes total. Remove chicken, set aside, and keep warm.

Add mushrooms and prosciutto to the pan. Cook until mushrooms soften and begin to brown, 2–3 minutes.

Add wine (or broth) and heavy cream.

Return chicken to pan, reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 8 minutes.

Stir in tarragon and vinegar; cook 1 minute.

Garnish with chives.

Serve chicken over slices of toasted bread.

Nutrition Information (Per 4 oz):
527 calories 56% calories from fat 33g total fat 17g carb. 532mg sodium 1g fiber
Tammy
  Re: Re: I'm blind and have blisters on my 'clicker' finger by TwilightKitten (Tarragon-Cream Chick...)
Savory Polenta Layer Cake with Butter-Gorgonzola Filling
(Cuisine at home, October 2005, Issue 53, p. 25)

Makes: One 8-inch Pan Total Time: 2 Hours + Chilling Rating: Easy

For the Polenta—
Combine, Whisk in, and Cook:
10 cups cold water
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 T. kosher salt
4 bay leaves
2 cups yellow cornmeal, medium-grind

For the Cake—
Assemble with:
6 cups prepared polenta
8 T. butter, divided
1 1/2 cups Gorgonzola, crumbled and divided
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, divided

Combine water, oil, salt, and bay leaves in a large pot. Pour in the cornmeal in a steady stream, whisking until incorporated. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often, about 10 minutes. When thick and bubbling, reduce heat to low and partially cover. Cook until glossy, stirring often, for 25–35 minutes.

Assemble cake by first spreading 2 cups warm polenta in an 8–10" skillet or pan that has been rinsed with cold water. Dot with 21/2 T. butter, 3/4 cup Gorgonzola, and 2 T. Parmesan. Continue layering, finishing the third polenta layer with the remaining butter and Parmesan. Cover with plastic and chill 1–24 hours. Bake at 400°on a foil-lined baking sheet until sizzling and deep golden, 45–60 minutes.
Tammy
  Re: Re: I'm blind and have blisters on my 'clicker' finger by TwilightKitten (Savory Polenta Layer...)
Polenta Stuffed Pork Roast
(Cuisine at home, December 2004, Issue 48, p. 18)

Makes: One 2-3 lb. Roast Total Time: About 2 Hours Rating: Intermediate

For the Polenta Stuffed Pork Roast —
Butterfly; Season with:
1 pork loin roast (2–3 lb.)
2 T. minced fresh sage
Salt and pepper to taste

Slice; Stuff Loin with:
Polenta Dressing, see online recipe

Heat; Brown Loin in:
2 T. vegetable oil

Arrange in Roasting Pan:
2 celery stalks, cut to fit roasting pan
2 carrots, cut in half lengthwise
1 onion, quartered

Preheat oven to 375°.

Butterfly pork; cut it lenthwise to within an inch of the bottom. Cutting parallel to the work surface, cut the halves sideways to within 1" of each side. Loin should lay out flat. Season inside with sage, salt, and pepper.

Slice dressing in half lengthwise, stuff into pork loin (reserve extra dressing for another use), bring side of loin together and tie. Season outside of the loin.

Heat oil in a roasting pan on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the loin and brown on all sides, about 5 min. total; remove from the pan.

Arrange celery, carrots, and onion in the pan in a single layer. Place loin on the vegetable “rack” and roast 35–40 minutes, or to an internal temperature of 150°. Cover with foil and allow roast to rest 15 minutes before slicing.

Polenta Dressing
(Cuisine at home, December 2004, Issue 48, p. 17)

Makes: 2 Cups Total Time: 30 Minutes + Cooling Rating: Intermediate

Brown; Add:
4 oz. bulk or link Italian sausage (if using link, remove the casings)
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup frozen corn kernels
1 t. garlic, minced

Stir in; Boil:
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 cups baby spinach, lightly packed, chopped

Slowly add:
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/8 t. cayenne

Stir in:
2 T. mascarpone or cream cheese
1 T. minced fresh sage

Brown sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to break it up. Add onion, celery, corn, and garlic; cook 3 minutes.

Stir in broth and cream. Bring to a boil, then add spinach.

Slowly add cornmeal, salt, and cayenne, stirring with a spoon or rubber scraper. Reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes (mixture will be very thick). Remove from heat.

Stir in mascarpone and sage. Press polenta into a 8 x 4" loaf pan coated with nonstick spray; cover and chill. Polenta Dressing shown here in Polenta Stuffed Pork Roast.

Dried Cherry Sauce
(Cuisine at home, December 2004, Issue 48, p. 21)

Makes: 2 Cups Total Time: 15 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

Deglaze Pork Roasting Pan with:
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup ruby port

Combine:
2 T. unsalted butter, softened
2 T. all-purpose flour

Whisk in; Add:
2 T. cherry preserves
1 pkg. (3 oz.) dried tart cherries
Salt and pepper to taste

Deglaze pork roasting pan with broth and port. Bring to a boil, simmer 5 min., then drain; discard solids.

Combine butter and flour with a fork until blended. Whisk into broth mixture and simmer 3 min.

Whisk in preserves until melted, then add the dried cherries, salt, and pepper. Dried Cherry Sauce shown here served over Polenta Stuffed Pork Roast.

Nutrition Information (Per 1/4 cup):
99 calories 34% calories from fat 4g total fat 14g carb. 385mg sodium 1g fiber
Tammy
  Re: Re: I'm blind and have blisters on my 'clicker' finger by TwilightKitten (Polenta Stuffed Pork...)
Sugar-Rubbed New York Strip Steak
(Cuisine at home, April 2006, Issue 56, p. 14?15)

Makes: 1 Steak, 3 Cups Salad and 1/3 Cup Vinaigrette Total Time: About 30 Minutes Rating: Easy

For the Steak—
Combine; Press on:
2 T. brown sugar
1 1/2 t. ground black pepper
1/2 t. kosher salt
1 New York strip steak, 1–11/2

For the Salad—
Toss Together:
3 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/3 cup blue cheese, crumbled

Saute; Deglaze and Finish with:
1 strip thick-sliced bacon, minced
2 T. shallots, minced
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 t. brown sugar
1 t. Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
2 T. olive oil

Drizzle Vinaigrette over; Serve with:
Prepared salad and steak
Baked potatoes

Preheat oven to 450?; heat an ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium.

Combine 2 T. brown sugar, pepper, and salt in a bowl. "Press" sugar mixture onto both sides of the steak, then sear it on one side until browned, about 5 minutes. Flip steak and brown the second side for 2 minutes, then transfer pan to the oven to finish (about 8 minutes for medium-rare). Remove steak and let rest on a cutting board.

Toss lettuce, tomatoes, and blue cheese together while steak is in the oven; chill until ready to serve.

Saute bacon in a small skillet over medium-high heat until crisp; add shallots and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Deglaze with vinegar, then whisk in 2 t. brown sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Finish vinaigrette with oil and keep warm. To serve, cut steak in half and place each half on serving plates. Divide salad between the steaks.

Drizzle steak and salad with the warm vinaigrette. Serve with baked potatoes, if desired.

Nutrition Information (Per 1/2 recipe):
669 calories 48% calories from fat 36g total fat 28g carb. 983mg sodium 3g fiber 57g protein
Tammy
  Re: Re: I'm blind and have blisters on my 'clicker' finger by TwilightKitten (Sugar-Rubbed New Yor...)
Pork Marsala with Buttered Fettuccine

Makes 4 Pork Chops
Total Time: 45 minutes with Fettuccine

Ingredients:
Dredge and Saute in:

4 center-cut pork loin chops (4-6 oz each)
Salt and pepper
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Melt 1 T. unsalted butter; Stir in:

¼ cup shallots, minced
1 T. garlic, minced
8 cups assorted mushrooms

Deglaze with:

½ cup dry marsala
¼ cup chicken broth
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 T. chopped fresh sage
6 T. cold unsalted butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Garnish with:

2 T. chopped fresh parsley
2 slices prosciutto, frizzled (slice crosswise in thin strips, then fry in olive oil for about 5 minutes, stirring often until crisp)

Directions:

Dredge seasoned chops in flour. Sauté pork in oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Flip and sauté 5 more minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.

Melt butter in the same pan. Stir in shallots and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté 8 minutes, or until they release all their water and brown.

Deglaze the pan with marsala. Add broth, lemon juice, and sage; bring to a boil, and reduce until almost evaporated. Remove from heat and whisk in butter until melted. Season with salt and pepper, return the chops to the pan. Garnish with parsley and prosciutto.

Buttered Fettuccine

Makes 4 cups
Total Time: 20 minutes

Boil; Toss with:

8 oz dry fettuccine
2 T. unsalted butter
2 T. Parmesan or Asiago, grated
salt and pepper to taste

Boil fettuccine in a large pot of salted water according to package directions. Drain, then toss with butter, cheese, salt and pepper.
Tammy
  Re: I'm blind and have blisters on my 'clicker' finger by Half_Baked (This weekend I went ...)
Whew, Twilight!!! good job!

Jan, I've made two of the above (that I can remember) will look when we get home,

King Crab Louis Sandwich - loved this one!

Polenta Cake with Gorgonzola Butter Filling - I think that was the one that was just overpowering rich - couldn't eat it. (personal opinon only!)

You have your work cut out for you my dear - be sure to report back after each!!

P.S. went over to Cuisine Members Plus site and this is the review I gave the polenta dish -

"2006-08-04
This dish is over the top rich! Made my teeth curl and I could almost see my arteries clogging. I loved the basic polenta cooked with the 4 bay leaves - wonderful flavor.

I've never started polenta in cold water before, but it works! To serve this dish again, I stop at this point and maybe add just a touch of butter and a little grated Asiago, parmesan, or ricotta. And serve like that with the Pork Chops Capricciosa "
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I'm blind and have blisters on my 'clicker' finger by cjs (Whew, Twilight!!! go...)
Gave that MasterCook 9 a workout did you? Good for you. The thing I did/do is I make separate cookbooks and then in one of them I import every recipe I MIGHT like to try. As I try them I either delete them or move them over to another cookbook for safe keeping. Once a week I export ALL the recipes and then copy to a disk in case something happens to my computers.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: I'm blind and have blisters on my 'clicker' finger by TwilightKitten (Sugar-Rubbed New Yor...)
TwilightKitten - your name was definately one that helped keep the site alive. I'm sorry I neglected to post it this morning but I was pretty brain dead, lol. There were also a couple of men who's names escape me at the moment.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I expected to get a couple a week but I should have known that one of you would take it upon yourselves to supply them. That was really very nice, TKitten. Thank you again. You are so sweet!

What a great group of people!

Thanks for the idea, BJ. I made my cookbooks (I don't use the ones that come with the program either) and in the title, I'd put C@H. Yes, I did give MC9 a workout and I think you so much for that gift. xoxox Jan
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.