Scallop Dish for the Adventurous
  Re: (...)
We ran across a Seaweed Salad while we were away last weekend and bot it to try. It was so good, the next day we went back and bot two more containers to bring home to play with. I found recipes online for making it and using it. I couldn't find any seaweed to use that recipe, so went with one of the other offerings - and oh, was it wonderful!!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...OPDISH.jpg

Scallops with Wasabi Cream & Seaweed Salad

12 large scallops
1 cup Seaweed Salad (available at Asian markets (we got ours at a seafood deli)
2 T. wasabi powder
1/2 cup Creme Fraiche (I subbed sour cream)
1/4 to 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Tamari (thot I had this, didn't, so used Kecap Manis instead)
1/4 cup Mirin
2 T. peanut oil
2 T. cornstarch
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Mix wasabi & enough water to the texture of wet sand.
Add cream, wasabi mixture and creme fraiche in a bowl; place in frig for 24 hours.

About 1/2 hour before you are ready to serve, mix the Tamari and Mirin in a non-reactive pan; bring to boil & reduce the heat to a simmer.

Add a slurry of cornstarch & water (note: again they are asking for a consistancy of wet sand ) to the Tamari/Mirin .

In a large skilet over med. high heat add oil and season scallops (after drying them well) and place in preheated skillet. Cook on both sides for two minutes.

Spoon some of the wasabi mixture in the center of four plates; place seaweed salad on plate. Arrange the scallops around the plate and drizzle with Tamari mixture. Serve immediately.

The picture shows only one scallop because they were the biggest hummers I've ever seen - each one looked like a small beef filet!!! (We bot four and they weighed a little over a lb.!!!) Which means we have two more in the freezer and we also have the sauces left from last nite, so we're having the same dinner again tonite! The flavors are just wonderful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Scallop Dish for the Adventurous by cjs (We ran across a Seaw...)
I hope to find some seaweed salad premade somewhere. I've failed miserably each time I tried to make it.

Luckily for me, I will get to eat this whole recipe by myself since I've tried to get Mr HB to eat seaweed salad before. He says he chews and chews but it never breaks up enough. LOL, I tell him it's not lettuce.

I've tried to put this in MC 3 times. Each try says it already exists but when I open Jan's Shellfish book, it's not there.

Edit: Oh, it's there. I'm not even going to tell you what happened.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Scallop Dish for the Adventurous by Half_Baked (I hope to find some ...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Scallop Dish for the Adventurous by cjs ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Hee hee, you'll get it Jan sweetie.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy