Share a recipe-ethnic food
  Re: (...)
Hi Guys,

As I am sitting this morning contemplating dinner (guests coming over) and I promised russian food I thought it might be fun to start a thread of YOUR FAVORITE ETHNIC FOOD RECIPE. As some of you know I am originally from Russia (some 27 years ago). I love to cook all different kinds of food from different countries. Obviously I have a ton of Russian Recipies that came from my grandma. I can share some of them too. Anybody Interested?
  Re: Share a recipe-ethnic food by piano226 (Hi Guys, [br][br]As ...)
Absolutely! Let me think about this one for a bit and get back to you.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Share a recipe-ethnic food by Mare749 (Absolutely! Let me ...)
SOO....here is the menu item for today...piroshki/stuffed with kind of traditional russian stuffing. Green onions/eggs/fried onions.

Here is the recipe:

I normally for easy preparation buy buttermilk bisquits (you know the kind in the refrigerator section -10 per tube) You can also make your favorite yeast dough or buy white bread dough in the freezer section and cut it into pieces.

Stuffing..

Dice a couple of onions...Fry them so they are nicely brown and carmelized.

Boil 4-5 eggs...Chop

Chop two-3 bunches of green onions.

After the onions are fried add eggs and green onions and on a very low heat just soften up the mixture.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Stuff the dough and bake or fry .

The recipe is kind of approximate depending on the amount you need. It is very difficult to screw up since a little more eggs or a little more or less onions dont make any difference. This is for about 20 piroshkis so you can add or reduce the amount by what you need.

P. S. the key ingredient in this whole thing is fried onions...dont be greedy on those ...they give the sweetness and a great flavor.

Stuff the dough
  Re: Re: Share a recipe-ethnic food by piano226 (SOO....here is the m...)
Now that sounds good and easy. I read somewhere that you could carmelize onions (a whole bunch obviously) in a slow-cooker. I'll have to see if I can find that. This would be a good thing for a family gathering.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Share a recipe-ethnic food by bjcotton (Now that sounds good...)
Really sounds yummy, thanks! And it would be suitable for any time of day, too. I like to make stromboli once in a while and use frozen bread dough. Roll it out, fill with anything you like, roll it back up and bake till golden.
Maryann

Re: Re: Share a recipe-ethnic food by Mare749 (Really sounds yummy,...)
Oh, I almost forgot. Billy, if you find those instructions for carmelizing onions in the crockpot, would you share?
Maryann

Re: Re: Share a recipe-ethnic food by piano226 (SOO....here is the m...)
Oh Marina, what a good idea! I made them (your peroshki recipe) with the cabbage like you told me a while back. Gosh they were good. I made enuff for leftovers but hubby didn't leave any
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life