Need some microwave help
  Re: (...)
I mainly use mine for reheating things like a cup of soup or leftovers. My defrost button is geared for meats and seems to be too hot for defrosting prepared foods. It practically cooks them. I don't seem to have a book for this and was wondering if anyone knows what the power settings are used for? Would a setting of 30 be about right for defrosting handheld snacks?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Need some microwave help by Mare749 (I mainly use mine fo...)
Now that's tough because all microwaves are different--you have to look at the specs in your manual.

I have never been very comfortable with microwave cooking---I just use it for heating liquids or reheating leftovers for a quick lunch type meal.

The defrost works beautifully when I'm in a fix though--there is a program for certain types of foods and the timer is automatic according to the weight to be defrosted. I agree, seems to "cook" it a bit, nothing that can't be corrected with the recipe instructions.

Someone should be able to assist on this???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Need some microwave help by Roxanne 21 (Now that's tough bec...)
I have a Kenmore Microwave book and it says 30 is the defrost setting. It also says that when you defrost that the center of whatever should still be frosty/icy when you remove it from the micro. It should finish defrosting on the counter. Does that help? It was published before the pocket sandwiches came out, so doesn't mention that type of foods.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Need some microwave help by bjcotton (I have a Kenmore Mic...)
Yes, that's what I was thinking. My old Kenmore microwave used 30 as a defrost setting and it worked well. Guess I'll just have to experiment a bit.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Need some microwave help by Mare749 (Yes, that's what I w...)
I don't use the microwave at all. Shane does for some things. And he does defrost at 30, sorry I don't know the brand. Large things like chickens or roasts are generally bought for the day, and when I pack for the freezer I always make the packets flat. That is minced beef is packed no more than 1 inch thick, I squitch into the corners of the bag, envelope it and wrap in cling film. Freeze flat. I never freeze steak, chops, veal birds etc in more than one in a layer. Not for some time have we done a schnitzathon, that is, prepare a lot of weiner schnitz. and lay in a large roasting pan layers of schnitz separated by cling film. One can just take out one or 10, depending on need, and they are already breaded, ready for the pan, and take just 5 minutes to defrost on the bench. It is a useful ploy.
  Re: Need some microwave help by Mare749 (I mainly use mine fo...)
and the way mine works (if you can believe the manual) is that the power settings 1-10 represent percents 1=10%,10=100%. But this is very misleading. My machine only operates at 100% power, but if I set it at 50% power for two minutes it will operate at l00% power for 30 seconds, go off for 30 seconds, on at 100% for 30 seconds and off for the last 30 seconds.

If you need to heat something slowly, I would recommend the stovetop. Anything with a high fat content (cream sauces and butter) tends to explode and then you are left with a mess and high blood pressure.