Footwear
  Re: (...)
Okay you guys that are spending LONG hours toiling in the kitchen on your feet---and those sore legs at the end of the day. What are you wearing to offset the aches that are sure to occur with standing for a long time---even though moving around a great deal from one appliance to the next???

I bring this up because-----------I always spent my time in the kitchen with NO SHOES--just stocking feet---however started to notice some discomfort after a few hours on my Italian marble floor---very hard on the legs but beautiful to look at and clean up!!! Anyway----after many months tracking down THE perfect comfort shoe---I ended up with CROCS!!! What a find!!!! I literally wear them all of my waking hours---I no longer have leg aches or spasms, and no low back discomfort either---new lease on life for sure!!!

Just curious to know what you all are comfortable with???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Footwear by Roxanne 21 (Okay you guys that a...)
I have arthritis in my feet and recently had foot surgery, so I pretty much live in a pair of wool Stegmanns. They have a good arch support and a roomy toe for when my foot swells. When I'm working (calling on grocery stores that mostly have concrete and tiled floors) I usually wear Birkenstocks or comfort clogs by LLBean, which are cheaper and just as good.

I'm curious about Crocs, but was concerned about my feet getting too hot in them. Is that a problem?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I've seen the CROCS and while they are about as unattractive a shoe as I've ever seen, I hear they are the most comfortable shoe for people who spend a lot of time on their feet. Me? I live in bare feet and love it. Can't bring myself to wear shoes indoors. When I come in the house shoes are the first thing to go, then the bra. Ahhhh, feels so good. My kitchen floor is vinyl so it's not a hard floor. When we built the house I insisted on a soft floor rather than the standard tile floor and I've never been sorry. I had a tile floor in my home in San Diego and it was VERY hard on my legs. I said never again. CROCS are probably the best solution for standing on hard floors.
Good old black Reebok aerobic sneakers. Takes me from the kitchen to the dining room (with a bit of Pledge)and the dish room afterwards. I'm on my feet about 8 hours a day, and even though they only last a year, they're the most comfortable shoes I've found. They're also lighter to wear, and that counts when you run up and down stairs all day.

Some of the catering staff love their Crocs, but we have a dress code. I'm acually supposed to wear those black service safety shoes (ugh) but I wear longish black pants, so maybe noone has ever checked out my footwear.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Footwear by pjcooks (Good old black Reebo...)
I'm still wearing my kitchen/non-skid shoes I used while working or barefoot!! Barefoot is my preference - indoors/outdoors.

Maybe a pair of crocs in my future when my kitchen shoes wear out....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Footwear by cjs (I'm still wearing my...)
I'm a Croc gal, too! I received them for my birthday from #2 son and have barely taken them off since then. It's like walking on air.

Ewww, I have to put on heels for Thanksgiving week.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Footwear by Half_Baked (I'm a Croc gal, too!...)
why, pray tell?? Let them get to know the real you, Jan.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Footwear by cjs (why, pray tell?? Let...)
I would no more wear heels than I would fly to the moon on a broomstick. And I haven't since 1992. I will admit to a lovely little pair of wedged heels I purchased in Bond St London. But I wear them rarely, beautiful as they might be. Mostly I wear lambswool moccasins round the place, or soft little black dancing shoes. Very light, very comfy. I don't know what Crocs are, but they sound good.
  Re: Re: Footwear by vannin (I would no more wear...)
I'll bring a pair and show you Dale. I have a pair of those and a pair of clogs like the Drs and Nurses wear, very comfortable; however, [Big Grin like that word] most of the time I wear sandals. Switching between the crocs with no heel, the clogs with a 2+" heel and my sandals make my legs and feet ache. So, I mostly stick to sandals. If I'm going out to dinner I wear the clogs..they look nicer.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Footwear by Mare749 (I have arthritis in ...)
No problem with heat---there are several vents all over the top and sides of the shoe--also worn as a sandal type with a strap over the heel---I don't use the strap though, it flips up and over the top of the shoe.

I purchased a pair for my Mom--she is diabetic and the CROCS come in therapeutic styles for problem feet (or potential problem feet). She is a convert---wears them EVERYWHERE. Now this is a lady that said, "EEWWW---they are soooo ugly, who on earth would wear those??" If you go the the CROCS website you will see what they are all about.

I'm thinking about buying another pair--and NO, I do not have stock in the company---

There are many fun different colors but I stayed basic pearl gray---thinking about navy blue. I'm seeing more and more of them here (a rip off model) and they are quite a fashion statement with some folks--men included. Hot pink, anyone???

If you like Birks--you'll love these!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy