* Exported from MasterCook *

Veal and Mushroom Meatloaf

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Beef/Veal

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Combine:
3 slices fresh white bread -- torn (such as Pepperidge Farm Hearty White bread)
3/4 cup whole milk
3 eggs -- beaten
Saute in 6 T. Unsalted Butter:
8 cups button mushrooms and shiitake caps -- sliced (1 lb.)
1 T. garlic -- minced
1 T. chopped fresh thyme
1 cup shallots -- minced
1 cup Madeira or Marsala
1/2 cup heavy cream
Add:
1 cup tomato -- seeded, minced
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1 T. kosher salt
2 t. black pepper
Fold in:
2 1/2 lb. ground veal
Top with:
4 strips thick-sliced bacon -- cut into 16 strips (4 x 1/2)

Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare loaf pans and rack by poking fairly large holes on each side of disposable aluminum pans with scissors. Line a shallow baking sheet with foil. To allow for drainage and even baking, place pans on a cooling rack set inside the baking sheet.

Combine bread, milk, and eggs.

Saute mushrooms, garlic, and thyme in butter over high heat for 5 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Add shallots; cook about 3 minutes. Add Madeira and cream; bring to a boil and cook until almost all liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool 5 minutes.

Add tomato, parsley, salt, and pepper to bread mixture, then stir in the mushroom mixture.

Fold veal into bread mixture using two forks. Spoon meatloaf mixture into prepared loaf pans.

Top with bacon strips and bake 1 1/4 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 160°. Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before serving.

Source:
"Cuisine at home, February 2005, Issue 49, p. 11"
NOTES : Makes: 2 Loaves (about 2 lb. each)Total Time: 2 Hours Rating: Intermediate
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Veal and Mushroom Meatloaf - Recipe by bjcotton (Here's the recipe re...)
THANKS BILLY......DO YOU HAVE THE RED WINE SAUCE AS WELL ?
WHAT IS MASTERCOOK ? SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS LOCK, BUT I AM A LITTLE HARD OF HEARING !!!!!!!!!!!
  Re: Re: Veal and Mushroom Meatloaf - Recipe by ARFORD010 (THANKS BILLY......DO...)
Red Wine Sauce
(Cuisine at home, February 2005, Issue 49, p. 11)
Makes: 1 1/2 Cups Total Time: 25 Minutes Rating: Easy

Saute in 2 T. Olive Oil:
4 cups button mushrooms, chopped (8 oz.)
1 cup shallots, minced
1 cup ham, minced
1 T. garlic, minced

Stir in:
2 T. tomato paste

Deglaze with:
1 cup dry red wine

Add; Sprinkle with:
2 T. unsalted butter
2 T. all-purpose flour

Add and Simmer:
1 can (14 oz.) beef broth
1 sprig fresh thyme

Strain; Add:
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. unsalted butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Related Recipes:

Veal and Mushroom Meatloaf

Saute mushrooms, shallots, ham, and garlic in a saucepan over medium-high until browned, about 5 minutes.

Stir in tomato paste; cook 1–2 minutes, or until browned.

Deglaze with 1 cup wine, scraping up browned bits. Simmer until wine is nearly evaporated.

Add butter and sprinkle mushroom mixture with flour; cook 2 minutes.

Add broth and thyme, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer to thicken.

Strain and discard solids, then return sauce to pan. Add 1/4 cup wine and vinegar, then whisk in butter. Season with salt and pepper.

Nutrition Information (Per 2 T.):
108 calories 51% calories from fat 6g total fat 6g carb. 299mg sodium 0g fiber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com
Tammy
  Re: Re: Veal and Mushroom Meatloaf - Recipe by ARFORD010 (THANKS BILLY......DO...)
It's not my hearing AFORD010, but my memory. CRS ya know. Do you have a first name we could call you or would you prefer your screen name?

Billy
  Re: Re: Veal and Mushroom Meatloaf - Recipe by bjcotton ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
My name is Aaron. Thanks for the recipes. Is MasterCook a software for recipes and such ? If so what is the latest version available ?
  Re: Re: Veal and Mushroom Meatloaf - Recipe by ARFORD010 (My name is Aaron. Th...)
Welcome, Aaron!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Veal and Mushroom Meatloaf - Recipe by ARFORD010 (My name is Aaron. Th...)
Welcome Aaron.

Yes MasterCook is a recipe software. It is wonderful for importing recipies, organizing, meal planning, shopping lists...So easy to use. I think V9 is the latest - I have V8. It runs about $20 and I bought mine at Best Buy.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Veal and Mushroom Meatloaf - Recipe by esgunn (Welcome Aaron. [br]...)
HELLO Aaron!!! Welcome to our family!!!! Hope you join us frequently.

I just ordered the Mastercook 9 version---through Amazon. It was a little less expensive BUT the shipping was a LOT less!! I really don't understand what this is all about BUT I'm sure it will help with my organizing the recipes that are coming through on this forum---TOO many to keep track of that I would really love to try!!

See you soon!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Veal and Mushroom Meatloaf - Recipe by Roxanne 21 (HELLO Aaron!!! Welc...)
I have used Mastercook for years, starting with version 4 and still love it. I think my latest version is 9. This is a great program and was very easy for me to learn at a time when I only knew how to turn the computer on and check my email. Very easy to order from Amazon. You will really enjoy all the great features.

Oh, BTW, welcome Aaron!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Veal and Mushroom Meatloaf - Recipe by Mare749 (I have used Masterco...)
If anyone is interested, as I learned how to use MasterCook 9 I wrote out instructions on "How to....." Several of my friends have copies of those instructions and use them. If you like, drop me a PM with your email addy and I will send them to you. They are step by step instructions.

Billy