Thanksgiving Menu Upset
  Re: (...)
Just thot I'd toss a little upset to your Thanksgiving plans also - mine I thot was cast in stone! Don't these sound yummy??? This is an excerpt from a newsletter I receive from Tom Douglas, a chef/owner in Seattle - the Palace is one of his.

Chef Sean Hartley of The Palace Kitchen was out in field (literally!)
at the Jubilee Farm in Carnation, WA cooking up some fall treats for
the 2006 Harvest Celebration Farm Tour. What else would Sean cook
this time of year but... you guessed it... squash! Butternut Squash
Fritters with Blue Cheese and Pumpkin Seeds, to be exact. These
little treats are one of the most popular fall dishes at The Palace
Kitchen, but for those who want to give it go at home, we're happy to
share the recipe.

Go here to print out the full recipe...

To: Jean Denham
Here's the full article...

Butternut Squash Fritters with Blue Cheese and Pumpkin Seeds
Chef Sean Hartley/Palace Kitchen

1 butternut squash, about 3 pounds
1 small onion, cut into medium dice
2 egg yolks
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Vegetable oil as needed for frying (about 2 cups)

For the garnish:
Crumbled blue cheese
Toasted pumpkin seeds

Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Peel the squash (a vegetable peeler works well), cut it in half and scrape out the seeds. Cut about half the squash into ¼-inch dice and set the remaining squash aside. Toss the diced squash and onion together with a little oil and spread on a baking sheet. Bake until the vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.

Cut the reserved squash into large chunks, place in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Cook the squash until it is soft, then drain. Using cheesecloth or a large kitchen towel, squeeze out as much water from the squash as possible. Transfer the squash to a bowl, and, while the squash is still warm, stir in the egg yolks, flour, sugar, and salt until well-combined, then fold in the diced onion-squash mixture.

Pour the oil into a wide shallow pan (oil should be about ¼-inch deep) and heat over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, fry one teaspoon of the batter on both sides. Remove from the heat and taste, adding more salt to the batter if needed. If the batter is too thin, add a little more flour. Drop teaspoonfuls of the fritter batter into the hot oil, adding as many as fit comfortably, pressing each fritter into a disk. When the first sides are golden brown, turn and fry the fritters on the other side.

Remove the fritters from the oil, draining on paper towels, then transfer to plates. Top the fritters with a little blue cheese and some pumpkin seeds and serve immediately.

Makes about 35 small fritters.

-------

I've just got to do this one next week.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thanksgiving Menu Upset by cjs (Just thot I'd toss a...)
Cut and pasted! It won't be on "our" table this holiday as I don't have enough "blue cheese fans" in my group. I will make this, though.

Thank you for sharing!
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Menu Upset by dollop (Cut and pasted! It ...)
We should know by now Jean, that once we cast our menu in stone we need to leave space for changes . It seems that the original never survives.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Menu Upset by bjcotton (We should know by no...)
Jean, I think I have noticed, over the years, that your 'cast in stone' menus usually change about 5-7x.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Menu Upset by Half_Baked (Jean, I think I have...)
I never cast in stone. I prefer to cast in butter
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Menu Upset by DFen911 (I never cast in ston...)
Me too Denise, but then the butter melts and I can't remember what I was going to fix
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
I just can't drag myself away from my parents/grandparents "traditional" T'giving dinner. I've added from my husband's family (mashed turnips). But, I don't know that I could make myself deviate - I might blow up or turn to stone or salt or something....
This sounds yummy. I will not be trying this next week but it sounds wonderful for my holiday brunch that I have every year for my girlfriends. I was traveling in Detroit this week and asked the pastry chef about a cranberry/red wine sorbet that he served between the appetizer and main course it was wonderful. He did not have measurements for a small batch but shared what was put in it. Boil together cranberries, orange juice, cinnamon red wine and a simple syrup. Let cool puree, strain, freeze and then scoop up. They garnished it with blueberries and raspberries and it was wonderful.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Menu Upset by wheatleyp1 (This sounds yummy. ...)
Wonderful Jean, what a fantastic recipe.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving Menu Upset by vannin (Wonderful Jean, what...)
Y'won't blow up lxxf, y'won't turn to either stone or salt. Just don't say what is in them, they will be asking for your secret ingredient.