Turkey, Turkey, Turkey
  Re: (...)
Sorry if this has already been posted - just please point me to the post! I am hosting Thanksgiving this year and we brined our turkey for the first time last year - thought it was absolutely delicious. BUT - thought the gravey turned out a little on the salty side - good, but a little salty. My mom and sister will be here and they are probably even more picky than me on the saltyness.

Do you have a brining recipe you like for your turkey? This is the recipe I used last year - I don't remember what day I brined on - but I know I took it out, rinsed and let sit overnight in the refer on Wed.

1 gallon of cool, water. 1 cup of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt (if using Morton’s Kosher salt, use 3/4 cup) 1/2 cup of white or brown sugar

Pour the mixture over the turkey and refrigerate.

Additional spice and seasoning suggestions: Add any or all of the following to your brine mixture: bay leaves, juniper berries, black pepper corns, dried thyme, and garlic cloves.

How many days do you brine? I have a 17lb turkey for 8 adults and 3 kids - want leftovers and there will be 4 big eaters.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Turkey, Turkey, Turkey by esgunn (Sorry if this has al...)
Your brine ratio is similar to mine - for every qt. of cold water, 1/4 c. kosher, 2 T. brown sugar & 2 T. granulated sugar, plus whatever herbs/spices. I brine a turkey overnight then rinse thoroughly. I can only suggest making sure the bird is rinsed very well, other than that, don't know why you would have an over-salted product. Did you add much salt to the gravy as you were making it maybe?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com