ISO - Crab Cakes Recipe
  Re: (...)
Ok I cooked up a lot of king crab legs last night and have just over a pound of meat left.

So I thought hey let's make some crab cakes. I looked up the recipes in Mastercook but none of them turned me on.

I thought I read on here a recipe a while back but doing a search didn't give me any results. I recall cream and scallions in the recipe but that's it.

Lol seems to weird to be cooking in my own kitchen. I keep looking for pots I don't have but the school does hahaha.
  Re: ISO - Crab Cakes Recipe by DFen911 (Ok I cooked up a lot...)
Denise, here is my current favorite - it's the one I made at the fundraiser last August - the hard cooked egg gives these the most wonderful creamy texture put together with the crunch of the coating - yum!

For the Fundraiser dinner I made miniature cakes for my Amuse-Bouche

Dungeness Crab Cakes

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey recipe for the 2006 Windsor Fund Raiser
Makes approx. 24 cakes, depending on size made

1 lbs crab meat -- preferably Dungeness
1/2 pound butter – unsalted, melted and cooled just a little
chopped parsley
chopped chives
2 hard-cooked egg -- finely chopped
salt, black pepper
1 c panko
1 c flour
2 eggs, beaten with a little water
1 1/2 c more panko (for breading)*
Peanut or canola oil, as needed for frying

Put the crabmeat in a large bowl and add the butter, parsley, chives, eggs, salt & pepper.

Mix together till combined. Add just enough panko make a coherent mixture.

Divide the mixture into patties - for regular service make into 2 3/4" wide by 1/2" thick.
Chill the patties covered for 30 min

When ready to fry cakes: have three shallow containers ready
one - flour
one - egg wash
one - panko

Dredge the patties on all sides in the flour, then dip in egg wash, drop in panko and coat evenly. Shake off excess.

Fill pot with at least 2" of oil and heat to 350 F.
Add as many cakes as will comfortably fit and fry, turning a few times with a slotted spoon, till golden brown on all sides and hot thru, about 6 min. cooking time.

Remove cakes and continue with the rest. Drain cooked cakes on paper towels an keep warm till service.

*I mixed 1/2 panko and 1/2 chopped, roasted pecans for the breading.

Alternative: brown the crab cakes quickly, set aside (chilled), then finish off in a 375 F. oven.

-----

and here's my favorite before the above. these are very delicate, but with the sauce, oh my they are good. I did these for a lot of 'intimate' dinner parties.

* Exported from MasterCook *

CRAB CAKES WITH GREEN PEA SAUCE

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via Dinner for Two, Horizons & Cottages, Paget West, Bermuda
Serving Size : 2
Categories : Appetizers - hot

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 med red bell pepper, cored & seeded
1 tsp unsalted butter
3 ozs fresh cooked Dungeness crab meat
1/2 lg shallot, chopped
2 Tbsps Dry Sack sherry
S & P to taste
2 ozs fillet of sole
1 lg egg yolk
2 T. heavy cream
2 lg egg whites
1/2 sm tomato, peeled, seeded, cut into julienne, & lightly seasoned w/S&P.
GREEN PEA SAUCE:
1/2 c shelled fresh or thawed frozen peas
3 fresh mint leaves
1 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
S&P to taste
Pinch of sugar
1/4 c dry white wine or clam juice

Peel the bell pepper by laying it flat & removing the skin w/a veggie peeler (I roasted instead). Mince & set aside.
In a sauté pan, melt butter over med. heat & sauté the shallot for 1 min.
Stir in the bell pepper & continue cooking for 1 min.
Add the sherry & cook over med-high heat till the liquid has nearly evaporated.
Remove from the heat & cool; then place in a mixing bowl & blend in the crab, s&p, and set aside.

In a blender or food processor, blend the fillet of sole & egg yolk, then gradually add the heavy cream and continue blending.
Do not overmix, or the cream will turn to butter.
Season w/s&p, & stir into the crab mixture.
In a large bowl, whip the egg whites till they form stiff peaks, then fold into the crab mixture.
Cover & chill in the frig for at least 30 min.

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet w/parchment paper & lightly butter it, or butter the b. sheet generously.
Butter two 3" pastry or poaching rings (~1/2" high) & set them on the baking sheet.
Fill each ring w/crab mixture & bake for 10 min. (mine took ~18).
Run a sharp knife around each baking ring and unmold the cakes upside down.

GREEN PEA SAUCE:
In a small pan, blanch the peas for 1 min. in boiling salted water.
Remove the peas w/slotted spoon & plunge them into cold water to set color; drain.
In a blender or food process, place the blanched peas & mint & purée. Transfer to a small pan, add the clam juice or wine & cream, & cook gently over low heat.
Season w/S&P and sugar.

Serving Ideas : Pour a pool of green pea sauce on each of 2 salad plates. Place a cake, with browned side up, on each pool of sauce & garnish w/the julienne of tomato or a tomato concasse.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO - Crab Cakes Recipe by cjs (Denise, here is my c...)
The crab cakes in c@h were good BUT Jean's sounds very nice as well. The shrimp cakes were awesome!!! YUMMM___seafood!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: ISO - Crab Cakes Recipe by Roxanne 21 (The crab cakes in [u...)
...and then there are salmon cakes...

Sorry, off topic!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO - Crab Cakes Recipe by cjs (...and then there ar...)
Here's one from Old Man, he has a restaurant on the Southern coast of Oregon:

Crab Cakes al la Old Man

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fish-Shellfish-Seafood

10 stalks celery minced small (we use a cuisinart)
1 med yellow onion minced small
1/2 red bell pepper chopped small
20 oz bay shrimp pureed
20 oz crab meat - fresh cooked not canned
3 well beaten eggs
1 cups small crushed saltine craker crumbs(depend -- (1 to 2)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/3 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp SW pepper blend
1 tsp cajun spice mix (better half makes ours)
2 tsp tabasco
1 1/2 tsp regular prepared mustard (thanks to chefpo

Mix all but crab together until well integrated.
Add crab and fold in gently (you want to keep a lot of the big pieces big).

Let sit in cooler overnight or at least 4 hours to help flavors mingle.

Portion with ice cream scoop (can't remember number we use, but it is med to big). As you form each cake (just drop from scoop to your hand and push down a bit with other hand, cover with more saltine cracker crumbs on outside of cakes - both side. Arrange on cookie sheet as you are portioning. We use a smaller cookie sheet to get 15 cakes in a layer. the remaining 2 or 3 cakes can go on top of the 1st layer. Line the sheet with parchment - 3 layers to absorb draining liquid from cakes, cover well with plastic wrap = no air to cakes. Store in cooler till you cook 'em. Cook on grill or in heavy pan in butter - 5 min a side or so, you want crispy outside and creamy inside.

For lobster cakes, if I was going to make them (which I'm not), I would change the recipe so the lobster flavor was more prevalent, so maybe they would be more delicate, but we reform a bit before cooking anyway so I don't see a real problem there.

Description:
"Old Man (Pat) - C2C"
Yield:
"18 each"

Don't remember where I got this one and there's no notes.

Crab Cakes w/Horseradish Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fish-Shellfish-Seafood

1 pound jumbo lump crab meat
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup bread crumbs
2 1/2 ounces diced green chiles
1 large egg
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 1/4 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
4 ounces beer
olive oil
Horseradish Sauce

Combine all ingredients except crab and olive oil in a bowl; mix thoroughly with a large spoon. Gently fold in crab meat.

Heat a skillet on medium to low heat, and add olive oil to coat. Shape crab mixture into 1/2-inch thick patties. Ince the oil is hot, add crab cake patties. Cook 5-6 minutes on each side, until browned.

Serve warm with Horseradish sauce.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: ISO - Crab Cakes Recipe by bjcotton (Here's one from Old ...)
I've combined shrimp and crab as Old Man does, quite often and it makes a nice cake.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO - Crab Cakes Recipe by cjs (I've combined shrimp...)
OOh, you guys are killing me!! That stuff is so hard to find here, and if you do find some (frozen) it's so high priced, you couldn't bear to chop it into bits.
Pouting now, and drooling
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: ISO - Crab Cakes Recipe by farnfam (OOh, you guys are ki...)
Ok so here's how it was made. I had to improvise.

1 lb king crab meat
2 Tbl mayo
2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
2 bunches of green onions (green part only)
1/2 lemon juiced
1/2 bagette crumbled (most of the crust removed)
1/4 c. fine bread crumbs

Mixed all ingredients together and formed patties using a 1/3 cup measuring cup. These were placed on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and covered and refrigerated for 45 minutes.

They were then browned in olive oil and placed into a 350 degree oven to finish. Each was topped with just a dab of real butter.

Salad was a spring mix and I made a lemon vinaigrette dressing. I figured the lemon would help off set the sweetness of the crab.

1 tbl dijon mustard
1 tbl mayonaise
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
6-8 oz olive oil
S & P to taste

Mix everything but the oil and drizzle that in slowly to incorporate. Taste for seasoning and let chill for 30 minutes at least if possible.

This dinner was just delicious! Husband and daughter went on and on and even had seconds. For those watching their carbs it's a very low carb meal.

I took a picture but forgot to being my camera to work so will load it up tomorrow.

Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas. Because of you I was able to pull off a really good dinner
  Re: Re: ISO - Crab Cakes Recipe by DFen911 (Ok so here's how it ...)
YUM Denise. How did they turn out? Great I bet! Just look at all the stuff you're learning and doing. Hard work but worth it huh?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: ISO - Crab Cakes Recipe by DFen911 (Ok so here's how it ...)
What's not to love in that dish?? (I was just going to nag about a picture till I read your post again.. )

What was the rest of the menu??
www.achefsjourney.com