What type of container do you use for microwaving?
  Re: (...)
Just read another article about the study from Johns Hopkins regarding the use of plastics in the microwave contributing to cancer. I mistakenly thought that only applied to certain types of plastics. The article makes it sound like it's any and all. Guess I'll only be using glass from now on.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: What type of container do you use for microwaving? by Mare749 (Just read another ar...)
Interesting---I will check that article out!! BUT---I don't microwave---just heat up a cup of water or soften cold butter, etc. I don't think I have ever done a meal--so to speak. Something about the microwave has always been against my way of doing the kitchen thing---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: What type of container do you use for microwaving? by Mare749 (Just read another ar...)
When my very active, young (42), healthy cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer last year (no family history) I stoped heating things in the microwave in plastic. My husband still reaheats leftovers in their plastic containers - but I always put it on a plate now or in a glass container.

Who knows if plastics had anything to do with it - can't really prove or disprove it in her case. But it just seemed like a good idea.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: What type of container do you use for microwaving? by esgunn (When my very active,...)
I'm to the point that I don't really believe much of anything that's said on TV. There are sooooooo many things that "cause cancer" only to be reversed a year or two later. I just use whatever sense I have when I do things, such as using food-grade plastics when microwaving.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: What type of container do you use for microwaving? by bjcotton (I'm to the point tha...)
I agree, and mostly just use my own common sense about these things. However....I still thought this article was thought provoking. I decided to share it for anyone who might be interested. I know we're been kind of careless about this at our house, using plastic containers or plastic wrap for reheating, so I'm thinking maybe we should use glass instead. Here it is:

> Cancer update -- Johns Hopkins -- Cancer News from Johns Hopkins :
>
> 1. No plastic containers in micro.
> 2. No water bottles in freezer.
> 3. No plastic wrap in microwave.
>
>
>
> Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its newsletters. This
> information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center as
well.
>
> Dioxin chemicals causes cancer, especially breast cancer. Dioxins are
highly
> poisonous to the cells of our bodies. Don't freeze your plastic
bottles with
> water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic.
>
> Recently, Dr.. Recently, Dr. Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager
at
> Castle Hospital , was on a TV program to explain this health hazard.
He
> talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us.
>
> He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using
> plastic containers. This especially applies to foods that contain fat.
He
> said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases
dioxin
> into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body.
>
> >Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or
ceramic
> containers for heating food. You get the same results, only without
the
> dioxin. So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc.,
should
> be removed from the container and heated in something else.
>
> Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's just
safer to
> use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc.
>
> He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants
moved away
> from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the
> reasons.
>
> Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as
dangerous
> when placed over! foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is
nuked,
> the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the
plastic
> wrap and drip into the food.
>
> Cover food with a paper towel instead.
>
> This is an article that should be sent to anyone important in your
life!
>
Maryann

Re: Re: What type of container do you use for microwaving? by Mare749 (I agree, and mostly ...)
I "snope" every e-mail I get that makes any sort of claim to be true. Most of the time they aren't or are just based on something true...if that makes any sense. Here's what they say about this topic:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp
Tammy
  Re: Re: What type of container do you use for microwaving? by TwilightKitten (I "snope" every e-ma...)
That seems to put paid to that rumor huh? How about this rumor....mother's milk causes cancer in mice?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: What type of container do you use for microwaving? by TwilightKitten (I "snope" every e-ma...)
Thanks for the info, TK. I'll check out that website next time I get a scary email. (I usually just delete them, don't know what got into me this time!)
Maryann

Re: Re: What type of container do you use for microwaving? by Mare749 (Thanks for the info,...)
I don't use the microwave, Shane does. I don't use it because there is just something that repelles me. Don't know what, just does. I know it is irrational. As for plastics in general, esp. cling wrap, I use it all the time for refridgerated commodities. I don't worry about dripping poison, or fumes, or whatever else. Someone is going to say something about anything and everything. So I have determined not to worry about practically anything. Otherwise we end up worrying about everthing. I can't be bothered.
  Re: Re: What type of container do you use for microwaving? by vannin (I don't use the micr...)
I just read somewhere that you should never heat water in a pyrex cup in the microwave, The slick sides prevent the water from clinging and thus boiling. If it gets too hot it could explode. Sounds right. About all we do is heat leftovers or thaw in a microwave.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".