turkey brining recipe
  Re: (...)
I was wondering if anyone has the brining recipe from the magazine Cuisine at Home from 2004 ( I think it was the October issue). It's the recipe with molasses and Apple Cider. I have used it for the passed two years and now my family wants me to make it every year and I have misplaced the recipe and have tried to find it on-line, but no luck.
I would greatly appreciate any help I can get!!! Thanks.
  Re: turkey brining recipe by lana (I was wondering if a...)
Is this the one? Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Molasses Lacquered Roast Turkey
(Cuisine at home, December 2004, Issue 48, p. 7)

Makes: One 12-14 lb. Turkey Total Time: 6 Hours Rating: Intermediate

For the Brine—
Combine:
8 cups water
2 cups pure maple syrup
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
6 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
1 T. whole black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick

Add:
16 cups ice cubes
1 fresh or frozen (12–14 lb.) turkey, trimmed, giblets removed (thaw if frozen)
2 gallons cold water, or as needed

For the Cider Baste—
Combine; Boil:
1 cup apple cider or juice
1/4 cup molasses

Trim any extra fat and the tail piece from the turkey. Then carefully loosen the skin from the breast to let the brine circulate.

Combine water and next 7 ingredients for the bring in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk until salt and sugar are dissolved.

Add ice to cool brine. Place turkey in a 4-gallon bucket and pour the brine mixture over it. Add cold water until turkey is immersed, then refrigerate; brine for at least 2 hours and up to 24.

Combine cider and molasses in a small saucepan; boil 5 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°; line a roasting pan with heavy-duty foil. Remove turkey from the brine (discard brine) and prepare for roasting.Pat the bird dry and score the skin at the end of the drumsticks. Tie the legs back with cotton string and tuck the wings under the bird. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in the roasting pan. Add a few cups of water to the pan. Roast the turkey 45 minutes, then remove from the oven. Using a pastry brush, paint the turkey with the some of the cider mixture. Start painting on the baste from the top; even out the color by brushing down, then around the sides. Tent with foil (heavy-duty if you have it), roast another 45 minutes, then brush with baste mixture again. Roast an additional 1 1/2 hours, brushing 4 more times (keep the foil tent on the turkey as it roasts leaving only the legs exposed to the heat). Cook until turkey registers 170° in the thickest part of the thigh. To check for doneness, insert an instant read thermometer deep into the inner thigh. For accuracy, don't touch the bones with the probe. Allow to rest for 20–30 minutes before carving.

Nutrition Information (Per 6 oz.):
605 calories 43% calories from fat 29g total fat 8g carb. 366mg sodium 0g fiber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com
Tammy
Thank you so much!! You don't know how happy this makes me, I have looked all over for this recipe. This is the exact one. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
Welcome!

Molasses Lacquered Roast Turkey

For the Brine-
Combine:
8 cups water
2 cups pure maple syrup
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
6 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
1 T. whole black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
ADD:
16 cups ice cubes
1 fresh or frozen 12-14 lb turkey, trimmed, giblets removed (Taw if frozen
2 gallons cold water, or as needed

For the Cider Baste-
Combine, boil;
1 cup apple cider or juice
1/4 cup molasses.

Combine water and next 7 ingredients for the brine in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk until salt and sugar are dissolved.

Add ice to cool brine. Place turkey in a 4 gallon bucket and pour the brine mixture over it. Add cold water until turkey is immersed, the refrigerate; brine for at least 2 hours and up to 24.

Combine cider and molasses in a small saucepan; boil 5 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375; line a roasting pan with heavy-duty foil. Remove turkey from the brine (discard brine) and prepare for roasing as in Figures 3 an 4. Place turkey breast side up on a rack in the roasting pan. Add a few cups of water to the pan.

Roast the turkey 45 minutes, then remove from the oven. Using a pastry brush, paint the turkey with some of the cider mixture. Tent with foil, roast another 45 minutes, the brush with the base mixture again. Roast an additional 1 1/2 hours, brushing 4 more times (keep the foil tent on the turkey as it roasts). Cook until turkey registers 170 in the thickest part of the thigh. Allow to rest for 20-30 minutes before carving.

Figure 3 - After brining, pat the bird dry and score the skin at the end of the drumsticks.

Figure 4 - Tie the legs back with cotton string and tuck the wings under the bird.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: turkey brining recipe by esgunn (Welcome! [br][br]Mol...)
oops - guess I was too slow!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.