Potato starch vs corn starch
  Re: (...)
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum here but have subscribed to Cuisine at Home for almost 2 years. I love it!
Quick question: Is there much of a difference between potato starch and corn starch? I'm curious because I'm planning on making the chocolate pound cake in the most recent issue and it calls for 1t of potato starch. I'm having trouble finding this so I'm wondering if I can just substitute corn starch. Thanks for your help! :-)
  Re: Potato starch vs corn starch by adriancarrion (Hi Everyone, I'm new...)
Welcome Adrian! I Googled "potato vs cornstarch" and the results were that 1 tsp of cornstarch had more thickening power than 1 tsp of potato starch. There was also a website that said cornstarch was more soluable in rats . Having never used potato starch, I'd have to go by the thickening power noted.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Potato starch vs corn starch by adriancarrion (Hi Everyone, I'm new...)
Welcome to the forum!
Do you have instant mashed potatoes? I'm pretty sure you can grind that up into a powder and use that.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Potato starch vs corn starch by TwilightKitten (Welcome to the forum...)
Oh horrors Tammy...instant mashed potatoes? Oh the shame of it...I keep a box in the cupboard too

Billy
  Re: Re: Potato starch vs corn starch by TwilightKitten (Welcome to the forum...)
You might try looking with the Kosher products in your grocery store. It is permitted as a thickener during passover. Her is some info I found on http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html

potato starch = potato flour = potato starch flour = katakuriko Notes: This gluten-free starch is used to thicken soups and gravies. Its main advantage over other starch thickeners is that it's a permitted ingredient for Passover, unlike cornstarch and other grain-based foods. Liquids thickened with potato starch should never be boiled. Supermarkets often stock it among the Kosher products. Substitutes: cornstarch (This is very similar, but not permitted for Passover.) OR arrowroot OR tapioca starch OR ground Passover matzo (This is also permitted for Passover.)
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Potato starch vs corn starch by esgunn (You might try lookin...)
I like your research better Erin. Thanks.

Billy
  Re: Re: Potato starch vs corn starch by bjcotton (Welcome Adrian! I G...)
Welcome Adrian!!! I have used both interchangeably---no difference in either result!!! Good luck and hope to see you here more frequently!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Potato starch vs corn starch by Roxanne 21 (Welcome Adrian!!! ...)
Thanks everyone for your quick and helpful responses! After scouring three of our major local supermarkets with no luck I think I'm going to go ahead and use the corn starch. Thanks Roxanne for your comment regarding your experience with both. I'll try to remember to update you all on the results of my little experiment! :-)