Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal)
  Re: (...)
Pastry

4 cups flour
1 lb butter, chilled and cubed
1 cup sour cream

Cut cubed butter into flour until it resembles coarse meal. ( Or whatever the exprssion is). Add in sour cream. Stir with fork until combined. If it doesn't form a ball, that's fine. Place in ziplock bag and mush together. Place in fridge for at least one hour. Dough can also be frozen at this point for later use.

Turnover Filling

1 lb ground pork.
1/2 cup chicken stock or water
I medium to large onion, minced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp each, thyme, sage, dry mustard
pinch of ground cloves
few gratings of nutmeg
1 medium potato, cooked and mashed

Combine all in pot except potato. Simmer, uncovered 25 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated and meat is cooked. Remove from heat. Stir in potato. Chill.

At this point, check for seasonings. Last Saturday, I added minced fresh thyme and fresh sage at this point. You want it to be tasty, nothing worse than bland turnovers.

Roll out dough on floured surface. Cut out 3 inch circles. Add 2 tsp filling. Brush edges of dough with water, fold in half and seal. Crimp edges with fork. Place on ungreased sheet. Brush tops with eggwash. Cook at 375F for 15-20 minutes.

A few notes:
After years of making them, I've learned a few things. a white wine makes a small turnover that is great for a more upscale party. a red wine glass gives a 2-3 bite turnover. A martini glass makes a good size if they are part of a meal.

These freeze very well. Thaw and heat at 350F for about 10 minutes until hot.

If you can get fresh herbs, I strongly recommend using them aling with the dried ones.

If your pork is fatty, just drain off the fat before adding the potato, but you do want some moisture.

If you over fill them, they will explode. "smirk"

The dough is great, you can roll the scraps, and re-roll them, and re-re-roll them. "smile"
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by Lorraine (Pastry[br][br]4 cups...)
Thank you, Lorraine. Plenty of fresh herbs-I'm glad I read all the way through the recipe because I was going to ask you that!

I appreciate your help in getting this dish together for the Picky One. Even I'm surprised that living only a few hours from the Canadian border, and growing up with many friends of Fr-Can descent, I know practically nothing about their cuisine. I wish I had paid more attention back then.

Thanks again!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by pjcooks (Thank you, Lorraine....)
I just realized you were in NH. I had two uncles living there, so visited every summer. Littleton, and Bethlehem. And then there's Dixville Notch. ( I'd still love to take cooking classes at the Inn) What a gorgeous part of the country, and what a small world. Off to hunt up the cretons recipe. And, as an added treat, lol, I'll post a favourite Christmas Eve one, Cipaille.
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by Lorraine (I just realized you ...)
Yes, North country is beautiful, even (or especially) in winter. Patti Page lives in Bath, but you probably knew this already. (Please don't say, who's Patti Page?!!!) I would love to retire up there, funny because everyone else heads south!

I just checked, and they still offer the cooking classes at the Balsams. I think it was $300, a 4 course lunch with wines to match, and staff to serve. Maybe this should go on my Christmas wish list!

Thanks for the recipes! PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by pjcooks (Yes, North country ...)
I remember Patti Page, didn't realize she was still around. Course I'm even older that you are , plus some
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by bjcotton (I remember Patti Pag...)
To the top for Marye! If you don't want to do the turnovers, you can make regular pies.
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by Lorraine (To the top for Marye...)
marye, this was an excellent recipe. I'm getting ready to do it again for the buffet I'm hosting for the engagements of my son, and my nephew. Well, not to each other

My boyfriends' late brother was married to my sister, so we share a nephew. He's also our Godchild. And my boyfriend is my oldest son's Godfather (which is a whole nother story) so it's kinda fun they're both engaged and we're right in the thick of it.

Oh yeah, the point of the story- my boyfriend is half French Canadian, thus the pork pie connection-thanks again, Lorraine!

Which is why I'm getting all involved in chutneys all of a sudden~

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by pjcooks (marye, this was an e...)
"My boyfriends' late brother was married to my sister, so we share a nephew. He's also our Godchild. And my boyfriend is my oldest son's Godfather"

whaaaaat?????

Lorraine, I have not the slightest idea why I have not made this yet - I've seen it for years and I know it's been at the top of the list many times....will for sure do it!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by cjs ("My boyfriends' late...)
You MUST Jean-!!! This was always a favorite of my ex-Mother-in-law around the holidays and I still enjoy having once in a while---those chutneys are an awesome addition!!!

I served with a cranberry concoction---in my former life but will try some of these other suggestions next time-----

Thanks for the reminder, Lorraine---- BTW----you can keep your strain of whatever that illness is in Canada---sure is a bummer!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by cjs ("My boyfriends' late...)
[quote whaaaaat?????

[/blockquote]

That does sound funny, now that I think about it

His late brother, my BIL was my son's original Godfather but when he passed away, his brother stepped in to take his place. Many many years later, after I was divorced, we got together. Simple, isn't it, kinda. (we're not Big Love or anything)

Just bought my ground pork for these, too darn hot to cook right now though, will have to wait!

PJ
PJ