Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal)
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by mjkcooking (The ones you posted ...)
Will do in a.m.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by Lorraine (" I posted the quic...)
Marye wanted some ideas/recipes for sauce for these goodies, so I guess I can just post it here - maybe someone else would be interested.

Sauces for Mary –

Roxanne: I served with a cranberry concoction---in my former life but will try some of these other suggestions next time-----
Here’s one of my cranberry salsas

CRANBERRY APPLE SALSA
- Gourmet, 11/90 – the salsa is part of a recipe for Turkey & Swt. Potato Croquettes, so I’m thinking it would work perfectly!
FOR THE SALSA:
1/2 cup finely chopped picked-over fresh cranberrries
3/4 cup finely chopped Granny Smith apple tossed w/1 T. lemon juice
1 Tablespoon honey
2 scallions, chopped fine
3 Tablespoons golden raisins, chopped fine
2 fresh jalapeno or serrano chilies, or to taste, seeded & minced
Vege oil for deep-frying the croquettes

In a small bowl combine the salsa ingred.& season w/salt to taste. Chill the salsa, covered for 1 hour.

-------------
Lorraine: I can't believe I've never served it with a cranberry chutney. As kids, we ate it with ketchup, or my Mother's green tomato pickles.
My note: I don’t have a recipe for green tomato pickles, I’m not a big fan of green tomatoes.

But, here’s how to smoke ketchup that I just learned to do and it’s wonderful!! (don’t know if you & Terry have a smoker or grill doing smoke or not…?)

This is the link to the thread with the smoked ketchup on C@H – the method is at the bottom of the post for the ribs. Marye, it is so good!
http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...true#Post152570

-------------------------
Marye, this is the ketchup I served, along with some chutneys, with the Tourtiere Turnovers of Lorraine’s

HUCKLEBERRY KETCHUP
It's amazing what all this ketchup is good on/with!!
Recipe By :a Chef's Journey recipe for the 2006 Windsor Fund Raiser Dinner

32 ounces frozen (or fresh) huckleberries or blackberries or if necessary -- blueberries
2 T. shallots -- sliced
2 cups Tawny port
4 T. currant jelly
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/4 cups Huckleberry Jam

In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients except the Huckleberry Jam.
Mix well, bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook for 2 hours.

Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes.
Puree in a food processor until smooth.

At this point for a smooth 'ketchup' push through a sieve or strainer. (chinois is too fine)
Allow to chill overnight.

Add just enough Huckleberry Jam for a 'ketchup' consistency.
(about 2:1 - puree to jam is a good amount)

NOTES : makes approx. 2 1/2 cups
--------
Since Huckleberries are so perishable, it may be difficult to purchase them. Using Blackberries is a good substitute and add Huckleberry Jam to finish off - they add a tartness that is so good. Here is a website that offers Huckleberry Jam.

http://www.oregonjam.com/

-------
Any fruit chutney (especially with apples) would be very good served with them, also.

Have fun!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by cjs (Marye wanted some id...)
Thanks jean. Have them copied Yum yum
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by mjkcooking (Thanks jean. Have t...)
You're going to have some fun, Marye!! and, you're welcome.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by cjs (You're going to have...)
I think the Smoked Ketchup would be great, because in the olden days , we served it with plain ketchup, or Ketchup Grandmere. Here is the recipe:

One 28oz can of diced tomatoes
2apples, peeled and sliced thin you could also use 2 peaches or 2 pears
3 onions sliced thin
1/2 green pepper diced
1 tbsp pickling spices
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
s&p

I think some bought chutneys, like Major Grey, might kill some of the flavour. Hope you like it!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by Lorraine (I think the Smoked K...)
Oh, I need to try that ketchup recipe, Lorraine! Thanks! I'm not into fruity stuff with my protein very often, but this sounds really good! I also can't wait to try the smoked ketchup, either! I've checked online and the Balsamic Ketchup isn't available locally. I guess I'll have to find it online.

Came back to ask, Lorraine. I assume this is cooked down until the fruit and veggies break down, the processed until smooth?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, I need to try th...)
Did anyone ever make them with ground beef - this kind of sounds like something that I might be able to use for an inexpensive league special - it is basically a meat and potato pie, how scary could that be for golfers?
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by iBcookin (Did anyone ever make...)
Daphne, I did a bowl of each with and without the balsamic and each were very good; the balsamic just a much deeper, richer flavor.

Linda, I think beef would work - maybe Lorraine has tried it at some time?? You just reminded me of a recipe I've made for years and it would be great to offer golfers - they can eat them out of hand - hot, or room temp.

From "a Chef's Journey...Home" page 98

I learned to make “Beerox” when I was a new bride from a neighbor who only showed me how to make it, but I’d never seen a written recipe for “Beerox,” so I had no idea of the correct spelling. Over the years I have run across “Beirox” and “Runza” which are so similar to the Beerox I was taught to make. Whatever it is called, my family never tired of eating these little goodies – and they are just as good cold as hot. In recent years I’ve been brushing them with a mixture of butter and vegetable oil, but years ago, before we knew about cholesterol, I dipped them in bacon grease for the most wonderful flavor of all!!

Beerox

1 lb. bread dough (pizza dough works well)
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 head medium-sized cabbage, shredded
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
A mixture of melted butter and oil, or melted bacon grease

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Sauté the beef, cabbage, onions and garlic until beef is no longer pink and the vegetables are soft.

Roll or pat out a circle of dough (about 2-2 1/2 oz. for each) to a diameter of 3-3 1/2” and about 1/4" thick. Lay in the palm of your hand and put about one tablespoon of the meat mixture in the middle. Bring the edges of the dough up and over and pinch closed to seal completely.

In a baking pan, liberally coat the bottom with butter/oil mixture; put the beerox smooth side down to coat the top and turn over placing the beerox so they are touching in the pan. Repeat for the rest of the dough and filling.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until rolls are golden brown. Remove beerox from pan and let cool on a baking rack if not serving immediately.

CJ’s tip: Beerox freeze beautifully and can be enjoyed hot, room temperature or cold.
---------

Now days, I've played with sausage and spicing up the beef a little more, but still make them the old way - and just love them.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by cjs (Daphne, I did a bowl...)
Thanks, Jean. I'll give it a try. It will have to wait a bit, though. William has decided we need a real smoker. The grill with the smoke pan works, but I it's a lot of work. We'll see. I hope we don't find a regular smoker just as labor intensive?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tourtiere Turnovers for PJ (etal) by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Jean. I'll ...)
Sorry for the late response. Daphne, it will break down quite a bit while cooking. The only time I have processed it was for catering events.

IB, many recipes call for equal parts pork and beef, so I think using beef only would be fine. I would check it for seasonings once the mixture has cooled.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.