more T'giving insanity
  Re: (...)
besides the stress of planning, shopping, cooking, what else makes you crazy about the holidays. For me it's my chandalier. I inherited the thing, it's beautiful and I hadn't cleaned it in 2 years. Upon returning home from my celebratory 1 year smoke-free dinner at a prime restaurant, I decided it was time to clean the thing. I have to make a map before I take it apart, and the crystals always fall apart and I never have the same number when I reassemble it as I did when I took it apart. There must be at least 300 of them. Washing is easy, I just put them in collanders and soak them in the sink for a while, then, I rinse them in plain water and then I soak them in a jet-dry solution, rinse them again, set them on bath towels on the diningroom table, then polish them and rehang them. The frustrating thing is that there are always left over crystals, but dang, that thing shines like crazy.
  Re: more T'giving insanity by lxxf (besides the stress o...)
People that can't cook to begin with gathering in the kitchen to chat...not with the cook, but with other non-cooks. I usually solve that by waving my knives around or shouting "Hold it! If you're not cooking GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN!" That usually works.

lxxf, if you need help taking things apart, I'm great at that. Don't ask me to help you put them back together, I always have left-over parts too.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: more T'giving insanity by bjcotton (People that can't co...)
People who can't cook in the first place that offer to bring a side dish, then don't because they have decided that since you are already making so much stuff, you don't really need it. Yes, this actually happened!

Another time, same relative offered to bring a vegetable and walked in 15 minutes late with a bag of frozen vegetables. Holidays are so much fun, we end up laughing for weeks.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: more T'giving insanity by Mare749 (People who can't coo...)
Now that would be interesting Mare, a bag of frozen, after the event. I am boggled.
NO HELP WITH CLEAN UP!!

Because I work in an environment where I prep, cook, serve and CLEAN-UP after myself in a relatively short period of time, everyone says "Oh, you're used to this, I won't get in your way." The problem here is I can't fit a 30 ft (1 way) dishwasher in my house at the moment.

I'm going to my Mom's this year, yes, I'll do dishes....
PJ
Just finished drying the bottom third of the verdaminit chandalier and it's 402 crystals. The thing does telescope as it nears the ceiling so I don't expect it to have 1206 crystals, but youza it's alot to polish and the little hangers catch on each other. No wonder I haven't done it in 2 years and it's not the kind of thing you can entrust to cleaning help.
  Re: I miscalculated by lxxf (Just finished drying...)
Yikes!!!
PJ
  Re: Re: more T'giving insanity by bjcotton (People that can't co...)
Quote:

People that can't cook to begin with gathering in the kitchen to chat...not with the cook, but with other non-cooks.

I agree with Billy. This happens in our house each holiday (my brothers and their wives). It drives me crazy!!

The other thing is that no one else ever offers to have anything at their house or offer to bring anything. It gets old!
  Re: I miscalculated by lxxf (Just finished drying...)
lxxf, I'm thinking you're missing the boat with that chandelier cleaning!!! I used to have a huge one in my dining room and to clean it I bot a product that came in a spray bottle.

I moved the dining room table/chairs out of the way, spread an old sheet on the floor under the chan. and topped with newspapers. Then I just stood there and sprayed that sucker - the cleanser cleaned, dripped away and left the chandelier shining and spotless. It's so easy - get down to a hardware store and get yourself some of this amazing stuff!!!
-----

Irritating on holidays?? I guess I'm always the irritator, not the irritatee - not all my relatives appreciate my signs on the cabinets - "Thank you for washing the dishes, but...PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PUT ANYTHING AWAY!!!"

sometimes I've had to call every invitee to find something they assumed 'must go here'
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I miscalculated by cjs (lxxf, I'm thinking y...)
I've used that also, but it didn't seem to do the job as well. Maybe it was the nicotine in the cigarette smoke that required the polishing. Anyway 768 polishes later it's ready to be rehung.