Reports From Afield
  Re: (...)
Just talked with my little sis and she told me that they had brined their turkey using maple syrup, brown sugar and salt and then bbq'd it. Said it was delicious. As a side dish she baked sweet potatoes and then mashed them the same way she makes mashed potatoes...butter, half-and-half, salt and pepper. Wonderful! I had never heard of doing them that way, and could only find one recipe out of hundreds that seasoned them that way. Most use, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, marshmallows, etc. The only one I found in CAH was Gingered Sweet Potatoes.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Reports From Afield by bjcotton (Just talked with my ...)
Oh Billy, we so enjoy kumara any way, but both chippies and mashed are great. No-one I have ever known adds marshmellows or sweeteners. A touch of nutmeg or ginger is lovely, but it has such a lovely taste all its own. Mashed carrot and parsnip is yummy, or a mix of turnip, and any root veggie. Slow baked in 50-50 butter and oil is very good mashed, I do pour off some of the cooking medium. Just a little. Add more butter and cream. If you use them as a scolloped dish, like scolloped tatties, they take less time to cook. Nice layered too, kumara, parsnip turnip tatties,carrots. (carrots par cooked).
You're right, they are good that way. Not everybody wants all that sugar in their diet. Our favorite way to eat sweet potatoes is wrapped in foil and put on the outdoor grill. We probably do that more than regular white potatoes. The skins get all carmelized and all you need is a nice pat of butter.

That turkey sounds yummy. I'll have to try a brine sometime. We've never done it and it just sounded like a lot of bother to me. Now I'm curious, so....next time....
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I mash my sweets sometimes, NEVER do marshmallows. Today I roasted peeled and chunked (I don't think that's a real word) sweets and peeled and quartered parsnips, fresh thyme thrown in at the end w/sea salt and ground pepper. Yum.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Reports From Afield by Mare749 (You're right, they a...)
Mare, you're so right about the sweet potatoes. I parcook in the oven or micro, then grill in foil till done.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Reports From Afield by vannin (Oh Billy, we so enjo...)
We are recent converts to the baked sweet potato--who needs all that sugar is right!! There is a wonderful recipe in C@H for a jalapeno/maple syrup sour cream topping---it is truly "divine" and can be put together very quickly. I used to do the marshmallow scene--mainly for the children (of all ages).
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Reports From Afield by Roxanne 21 (We are recent conver...)
I like them baked, skin is lovely, and stuffed with fresh bread crumbs, bacon, herbs, tomatoes, and things. Or just baked, sour cream, butter. Too much of course.
  Re: Re: Reports From Afield by pjcooks (I mash my sweets som...)
I just cannot imagine sweet potatoes and marshmallows. Glorp! Then I saw some twit dumping a whole bowl full of leftover sweet potatoes and marshmallows into a spice cake and say yummm! OMG!!

Baked, mashed, roasted with other roots, chips, all of those - are our favs. One year we did jalapeno sweet potato won tons with a prickly pear dipping sauce. I wish I could get my paws on some prickly pears.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Reports From Afield by Harborwitch (I just cannot imagin...)
Quote:

One year we did jalapeno sweet potato won tons with a prickly pear dipping sauce.

I just had some prickly pears and had no idea what to do with them! Would you mind posting this recipe? Please?
Tammy
Billy, when I was gowing up, that's how my Mother did them, mashed, butter, S&P. We had never heard of the casseroles etc. Another great dish??/ Par boil, SP and regular ones. When cool enough to handle, scoop out small balls using a melon baller. Fry them in EVOO and butter. At the end. add some fresh thyme, grey sea salt, and fresh pepper. They are so good!!! Then make pancakes from the potato scraps.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.