Do you own a digital kitchen scale?
  Re: (...)
I've been wanting to buy one, but there are so many to choose from. Any recommends?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? by Mare749 (I've been wanting to...)
I'll pull the article that was on C@H a few issues back. It's on their members plus site if you have access to that. If not PM me with your email and I'll send you a PDF version of the article.
I have one I love - just looked for the brand and all it says is "Thinner" ??????? It lasted thru school, the hotel kitchen and now here at home and it's still weighing....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? by DFen911 (I'll pull the articl...)
I have a Krups and it has served me well for 15 years---I haven't changed a battery yet. It has large numbers with gram increments up to 2 kilos---2.2 pounds. A handy little container for measuring came along with it. Whatever style you choose---you will love it. One of my most trusted helpers in the kitchen, for sure!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
I have a Soehnle that I've had for about 16 yrs and love. I use it constantly. It's on the smallish side, though, I think, but it's served all of my needs. Reads "Max 2000g (4lbs 6 oz)". I recently changed the original batteries it came with all those years ago. Don't remember where I got it- King Arthur (Bakers Catalog)? William Sonoma? Kitchen Etc?

While I love the balance scale I had access to at my last job, it just wasn't practical for home use. Digital's the way to go.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? by pjcooks (I have a Soehnle tha...)
Thanks PJ, actually that brings me to my next question. What size for the home cook? Some that I have looked at go up to 11 lbs. or more. I can't think of what I would actually use that for. Right now I use an inaccurate cheapie to weigh out 4, 8, or 16 oz. and that's about it. But I want a more accurate scale that includes grams as well as ounces.
Maryann

Re: Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? by Mare749 (Thanks PJ, actually ...)
I have a little dig. one that has served me well over the years. It does lbs and ozs, and gms & kilo. Not that it matters much, I was working in obstetrics when the change to dec. came in 1967, July 10th. So I can do either, it makes no difference to my brain, such as it is. I also have a 50 kg job we use for heavy things, with 100gm increments, that is about 3 and half oz. we also have an old metric one like they used to have in green grocers. It is very pretty I think.
  Re: Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? by Mare749 (Thanks PJ, actually ...)
I mail ordered one of those Soenhles (? SPELLING) for my Mom when she was required to measure all of her food for her diets---it has been a wonderful addition to her medical/nutrition care. There are some nice ones available in the Chef's Catalogue--you might get a good deal on shipping now, too! The readout is great and measures in oz and gms. I don't think the home cook needs more than a 5 pound capability---IMHO.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? by Roxanne 21 (I mail ordered one o...)
The one I have, a Salter, was recommended last year by Cook's illustrated, Taste of Home and I think CAH. It goes up to 11 pounds and I use it both in the kitchen and in Fredia's business to mail packages. I do our mailing online with the USPS and most of them go Priority Mail. To do that I have to know how much the packages weigh. That's why I'm glad it goes up to 11 pounds.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Do you own a digital kitchen scale? by bjcotton (The one I have, a Sa...)
Billy, I am so glad you mentioned that. I hate standing in line at the post office when I want to mail a package, although I never mail anything that weighs 11 lbs. I think I want the one that C@H recommends.
Maryann