Lesson Learned
  Re: (...)
I learned about brining from this forum last year and I have not done it since then just because I am so busy and I travel every week. However, I decided I would brine my turkey again this week and purchased a wonderful turkey brine mix from Williams-Sonoma. I boiled the contents for the brine had cleaned my turkey and was ready to complete the process when it dawned on me that I bought a frozen ButterBall Turkey as opposed to a fresh one and I vaguely remembered in my teachings from the forum that a fresh turkey was required for brining. I quickly called the ButterBall Hotline, which was great by the way, and she told me the frozen ButterBalls are already injected, brined in a way and not to brine a frozen one because it would be too salty. Thank goodness I did not make that snaffu. My saving grace was I had also bought some of the Herbs de Provence, so I went to plan B and used that seasoning and it was wonderful. I placed the turkey breast side down in a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes and then turned it breast up and lowered the temp to 325 degrees basting with butter to start then the pan juices afterwards. I also use an electronic temp monitor for the first time which was wonderful. This was one of the most beautiful and tasty turkey's I have ever done. We also fried one which was fantastic as well. They both went with very little leftovers.

I am trying to convince my family to forgo the turkey for Christmas this year because I want to do a Standing Rib Roast and a Ham, but they have not relinquished the turkey yet.

Pam
  Re: Lesson Learned by wheatleyp1 (I learned about brin...)
I tried that with my family Pam, their response was, "Oh great, we can have that in addition to the turkey!" They were NOT giving up that turkey!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Whew! Aren't you just glad you had the presence of mind to call butterball peoples?? Congratulations on your Plan B and that you were happy with the results.

It's hard to mess with the traditions of holidays, isn't it?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Wheatleyp1,

Aren't you glad there's a lot of knowledge floating around here? The people here have helped me out more than once.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong (CRS, ask Billy) but a big welcome if you are new!

PJ
PJ
I always do a standing rib at Christmas and when I can get the whole clan together (regretably not often enough as 4 kids are in 4 different states), and I serve a smoked turkey, too. The smoked turkey doesn't require cooking, and it's great for all kinds of leftovers.