About parmesan cheese
  Re: (...)
Does anyone know how long you can keep a wedge of this in the freezer? I bought some a while back and cut it in wedges, wrapped it well, and put some in the freezer.
I let it thaw and when I went to grate some, it's all crumbly. Does that mean it's bad? I can't imagine it going bad since it is aged anyway?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: About parmesan cheese by Mare749 (Does anyone know how...)
The only PR I have ever frozen was the rind for later soup stock. The cheese doesn't last long at my house. I can't imagine it being bad--probably just limited in application say as crumbled over pasta or maybe in a Caesar salad.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: About parmesan cheese by Old Bay (The only PR I have e...)
My experience with any cheese I've frozen is that it gets grainy and crumbly when thawed. Try grating it while it's frozen, might work.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: About parmesan cheese by Mare749 (Does anyone know how...)
Maryann, your cheese is fine. It just does change texture once frozen. You'll find cheese that you freeze can be used in any way except sliced, it won't hold up.

I've kept cheese frozen for months and it's been fine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: About parmesan cheese by cjs (Maryann, your cheese...)
I freeze cheese, too. Sometimes I pop cheese into the freezer for ~ 15 minutes and then grate and pop back in the freeser to flash freeze in a single layer. Then package it up in 1/2 cup portions and back into a food saver bag to freeze. It comes in handy!!
  Re: Re: About parmesan cheese by dollop (I freeze cheese, too...)
Thanks, everyone.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: About parmesan cheese by bjcotton (My experience with a...)
Or you could pop it in a food processor (I use a mini) and it works beautifully--nice fluffy grated PR
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: About parmesan cheese by Roxanne 21 (Or you could pop it ...)
Bumping this thread up for Val. Welcome Val, if I haven't already done that.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: About parmesan cheese by Roxanne 21 (Bumping this thread ...)
Speaking of parmesan cheese... I've been wondering - when they grate it in a restaurant, it seems a lot less dry than what I've got at home. Any ideas? I buy mine in the grocery, in a chunk in the deli. And I store in a sealed baggie in the fridge. (On a side note, my poor crazy children PREFER the green can - they're so sane otherwise, but sigh....)
  Re: Re: About parmesan cheese by carolekv (Speaking of parmesan...)
If I grate mine on the small holes of a box grater, I find it comes out fluffy. I normally use the big holes. None of those little fluffy bits for me!! LOL I buy mine cryovacked, and keep them unopened in the spare fridge. They last forever.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.