What to do with duck breasts
  Re: (...)
I've got these frozen duck breasts, and I'm wondering how to prepare them. I've only tried duck once and never done breasts. I'm open to all suggestions, grazie.
  Re: What to do with duck breasts by lxxf (I've got these froze...)
Hmmm, well there's this interesting recipe in Issue 53 on pg 46 called Pan Seared Duck Breasts. This is being considered for an upcoming birthday dinner, I think
Now you simply MUST join us teehee
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: What to do with duck breasts by farnfam (Hmmm, well there's t...)
LMAO!! Cis, you couldn't be any more insinuating if you tried!!! LOL
By the way....I'm all for the duck either now or later!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: What to do with duck breasts by Bizymomma (LMAO!! Cis, you coul...)
Me too!!!

Here's a couple of ideas for you -

* Exported from MasterCook *

GRILLED MUSCOVY DUCK BREAST W/GRAND MARNIER PEACH SAUCE

Grilled Muscovy Duck Breast with Grand Marnier Peach Sauce

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:

2 pounds ducklings, boneless breast, 2 each
Grand Marnier Peach Sauce (recipe below)

Preparation:

Prepare the sauce and keep warm.

Remove the duck breast from the package and place them on a cutting board, meat side up. Cut each breast down the middle separating the two lobes. Trim any fat that is exposed past the edges of the breast meat. Allow the meat to come up to room temperature before grilling.

Place the duck breasts on the grill, fat side down over medium low heat to render off the fat. Some flaring will occur and should be monitored to make sure the skin doesn't burn. Cook the breast skin side down for about 8 minutes until well browned and crispy. The meat will have begun to cook through from the bottom and the edges will have begun to turn gray.

Baste the breast with a little of the sauce, turn the breast over and continue to grill just as you would a fine steak, medium rare, for about five more minutes. Baste occasionally. Good duck breast should not be overcooked. Medium rare is perfect... tender and juicy.

Remove the duck breast from the grill and let them rest for 3 to 4 minutes before slicing them against the grain on a bias as you would a London broil.

Ladle a pool of the sauce onto the center of four warm plates. Lay the thinly sliced duck breast across the sauce.

Grand Marnier Peach Sauce

Perfect as a glaze for any poultry dish or a dipping sauce for Rangoons or spring rolls. The jalapeno gives it a kick!

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:

1 12 ounce can peach preserves
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 each jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, chopped finely
1 ounce Grand Marnier

Preparation:

Combine the preserves and the tomato paste. This helps cut some of the sweetness and also gives the sauce a wonderful reddish color. Blend in the minced jalapeño and Grand Marnier and warm the sauce over medium heat.

--------

No, just one - the others I like call for the whole duck....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What to do with duck breasts by cjs (Me too!!![br][br]Her...)
LOl Jean, I was going to post the same one!

I've only been cooking duck this last year, but it's really fun, and cheap ( at least here) to experiment with. I bought up a bunch of utility ducks that were on sale dirt cheap. OK, so some were missing a leg, but they were still good!!!

I've been using the method in Jean's recipe for cooking them. Here's some things I've done, these were all given to me by friends, no specific recipes.

Marinate in soya sauce, a bit of sesame oil, s & P, and orange zest, for about 45 minutes. Then cook as per previous method. If you have leftovers of this one, make some Asian pancakes, spread with a bit of hoisin, shredded leftover duck, and roll up. This one also makes a great potsticker with a few things added to it.

I did this one in the summer when fresh peaches were available. Make a brine using peach ( or apricot) nectar. Cook as per above. While duck is cooking, slice and either grill, or fry ( in butter) some sliced fresh peaches. If frying them, add some grand marnier, and flambe. If grilling, take them off early, place in pan with a bit of butter, add liquer, then flambe.

This was a bit strange, but really good. Marinate in sake, sugar, and pickled ginger for about 45 minutes. Take it out of the marinade, wipe off, and cook as above. I did this one over Jasmine rice.

Save all the fat that is rendered. Use it to fry potatoes, anything. It is wonderful. Save the carcass if you do a whole duck. I did a stock last month with all my leftover frozen chicken and duck parts, and it was wonderful!

Duck is fun!!!

Have fun with it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What to do with duck breasts by Lorraine (LOl Jean, I was goin...)
Oh geez, I forgot the most important part!! Thank heavens for Lorraine - KEEP THE DUCK FAT!! Duck fat is gold! Anything you fry in it tastes twice as good.

'Marinate in sake, sugar, and pickled ginger for about 45 minutes." - this sounds great. Why, I think I'll give that little finger down below a work out...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What to do with duck breasts by cjs (Oh geez, I forgot th...)
Before I started cooking duck, I used to buy the fat when I went to Quebec ( or con someone into bringing it). The last container I bought was $18.50 a kilo, or $8.40 a pound. Sometimes I'll buy cheap utility ducks and roast them, just to get the fat. Waaay cheaper than buying it!!!!

Here's another marinade thant Jean gave me, it was part of another recipe, but I can't remember what. Thanks for the CRS, Billy!

MARINADE:
1 teaspoon garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons green onions -- minced
2 teaspoons oyster sauce
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice wine or dry sherry
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder

I really like the Asian flavours with duck.

Edited to add that I've also served it with Jean's Huckleberry Ketchup! I had to sub blueberries for it, but it was. Last summer in Virginia, all I had was an electric frying pan and microwave, ( not that there wasn't a restaurant kitchen across the road!!) I made a really simple sauce with some shallots, wine, and fresh blueberries. Either it was really good, or he was really hungry, because he ate it all.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What to do with duck breasts by Lorraine (Before I started coo...)
There are some really great suggestions there!! I will try one for the upcoming dinner party--well, some minor changes to the original, that is. I have always made the duck with an orange/grand marnier sauce--AWESOME--but I guess it's time to experiment a little bit!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: What to do with duck breasts by Roxanne 21 (There are some reall...)
I know, we could glue the breasts back onto the duck! Lorraine, you get to stick the feathers back on/in
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: What to do with duck breasts by lxxf (I've got these froze...)