Online Dinner (Birthday) Party
  Re: (...)
Hope I'm not being pushy here, but I think we're all okay with the next dinner being Pan Seared Duck Breasts Issue 53 page 46. They show it with a Pear Ginger Chutney and a Risotto Sweet Potato medley. They sound yummy. Maybe tho' that cranberry/apple chutney would work and the Jalepeno Maple Cream sweet potatoes? Anyway just some suggestions. So we're all set then? Due Dec 18?
Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY BILLYJ (coming soon)
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Online Dinner (Birthday) Party by farnfam (Hope I'm not being p...)
"Pan Seared Duck Breasts with a Pear Ginger Chutney and a Risotto Sweet Potato medley"

YESSSSS! Sounds great! and December 18th it is. (with all the 'bad' food we've been eating and will continue to eat for a while, I think we're skipping dessert on this one!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Online Dinner (Birthday) Party by cjs ("Pan Seared Duck Bre...)
NEVER skip dessert---I love making desserts--now to decide which??? Any takers???!!!???

This sounds like a nice change menu!! The 18th it is--
CAN YOU BELIEVE IT IS DECEMBER??? Yikes-
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Online Dinner (Birthday) Party by Roxanne 21 (NEVER skip dessert--...)
Dessert, Hmmm, I've been dreaming alot about that Chocolate Bread Pudding. And since you only get one birthday a year, that's probbly what we're going to have. With only a very few candles on it
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Online Dinner (Birthday) Party by farnfam (Hope I'm not being p...)
Could somebody post the recipe please? I don't have that issue. I can live with the pear chutney, but I don't do sweet potatos.
  Re: Re: Online Dinner (Birthday) Party by lxxf (Could somebody post ...)
Why certainly Ixxf,
Score, Season, and Cook:
4 boneless duck breasts, thawed if frozen, 6-8oz
Salt and pepper
Score skin on each duck breast with three or four shallow incisions, taking care not to cut the flesh; season with s&p
Heat a saute pan over high. Add duck, skin side down, to the hot, dry pan, reduce heat to low, cover with a spatter screen and cook for 10min. Remove breast, pour off accumulated fat, then return them to the pan skin side down. Saute until skin is crisp, @ 10min. more. Turn breasts over, cook 2min, then transfer to a cutting board. Allow duck to rest 5min before slicing.
The sides are up to you Ixxf, if you don't like sweetpotat's then review what you try instead.
Very happy to have you join us, how fun!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Online Dinner (Birthday) Party by farnfam (Why certainly Ixxf,[...)
...and for those who need the whole dinner (madmax ) here's all the recipes -

Pan-Seared Duck Breast & Risotto with Wild Rice, Sweet Potatoes, and Sage
(Cuisine at home, October 2005, Issue 53, p. 47)

Makes: 4 Breasts + 2 Cups Risotto

For the Risotto—
Bring to a Boil; Cook:
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup wild rice, rinsed

Warm:
2 cups chicken broth

Saute in 1 T. Unsalted Butter; Add:
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup arborio rice

Deglaze with; Add and Simmer:
1/4 cup dry white wine
Warm chicken broth

Stir in:
Remaining chicken broth
1/2 cup sweet potato or butternut squash, peeled, cubed
1/2 cup cooked wild rice

Finish with:
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 t. chopped fresh sage or thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

For the Pan-Seared Duck Breast—
Score, Season, and Cook:
4 boneless duck breasts, thawed if frozen (6–8 oz. each)
Salt and pepper

Bring water and wild rice to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, or just until tender. Drain rice if necessary and set aside.

Warm broth in a saucepan until steaming; keep warm over low heat.

Saute onion in butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add arborio rice and cook until slightly translucent, about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.

Deglaze with wine; cook until nearly evaporated. Add 1 cup warm broth; simmer over medium-low heat 10 minutes.

Stir in remaining broth, sweet potato, and wild rice. Cook until arborio is creamy and tender, and sweet potato is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Stir risotto occasionally to prevent sticking.

Finish with Parmesan, herbs, and seasonings. Serve immediately.

Score skin on each duck breast with three or four shallow incisions, taking care not to cut the flesh; season with salt and pepper. Heat a saute pan over high. Add duck, skin side down, to the hot, dry pan; reduce heat to low, cover with a splatter screen, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove breasts, pour off accumulated fat, then return them to the pan, skin side down. Saute until skin is crisp, about 10 minutes more. Turn breasts over, cook 2 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board. Allow duck to rest 5 minutes before slicing.

Pear-Ginger Chutney
(Cuisine at home, October 2005, Issue 53, p. 46)
Makes: 1 Cup

Saute in 1 T. Olive Oil:
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 T. fresh ginger, minced
1/2 t. fennel seed
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1 cinnamon stick, halved

Deglaze with; Add and Simmer:
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups Bosc pears, peeled, cored, diced (1 large pear)

Stir in:
1/4 cup dried tart cherries
Salt to taste

Saute onion, ginger, fennel seed, pepper flakes, and cinnamon in oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until onion is soft, stirring often to prevent scorching.

Deglaze with vinegar and sugar. Simmer until sugar dissolves, then add pears. Cook until pears are soft and juices are evaporated, 15–20 minutes.

Stir in cherries and salt; serve room temperature or cold. (Chutney may be made up to 1 week ahead and chilled.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Online Dinner (Birthday) Party by cjs (...and for those who...)
We'll see if this is doable when I get to NZ. I told Cis that I really had no preferance for a birthday dinner, so to go ahead and choose. If I ran across something later on I'd give a holler.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Online Dinner (Birthday) Party by bjcotton (We'll see if this is...)
yeah, like a souffle or something, eh???
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Online Dinner (Birthday) Party by cjs (yeah, like a souffle...)
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy