Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Breads-Biscuits-Rolls

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup flour
1 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt

Combine all of the above, forming a pliable dough. Knead for 10 minutes.

On floured surface, roll out small balls of dough to desired thickness.

Brown each in a cast iron fry pan or on griddle.

Source:
"America's #1 Mexican Cookbook"

* Exported from MasterCook *

Flour Tortilla Recipe

Recipe By :Elvira Gonzalez Leal

3 cups unbleached flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. vegetable shortening or lard -- (4 to 6)
about 1 1/4 cups warm water

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Add vegetable shortening or lard. Or use a combination of half lard, half shortening.

Use a fork or a pastry cutter to cut in the shortening or just do it the old fashioned

way and use your hands.

Next add warm water a little at a time until your dough is soft and not sticky. You do

not need very hot water.

Knead the dough for a few minutes.

Now you will pull off pieces of dough to form about 12 small dough balls. Let them

rest for at least 10 minutes, longer if you like.

This is a good time to heat up the comal. You will want to set it at medium to high

heat. If it is too hot the tortillas will cook too fast.

Now you can roll out the dough with your tortilla rolling pin or palote. It is a good

idea to dust each ball with a little flour just before you roll them out. Lay the palote

in the center of the dough ball and roll up, center and roll down. It is good to lift the

dough and turn it. Again, rolling pin in the center and roll. Roll them out fairly thin.

Lay your tortilla on the hot comal. It takes just a few seconds to cook. Flip to the other

side. When they are done it should have lots of nice brown speckles. Place them in a

towel. If you would like you can use a tortilla warmer to keep them warm longer.

They are ready to be served!

If you need any of the equipment to make flour tortillas, try our authentic tortilla kit.

It is well worth the effort to make homemade tortillas! Enjoy!

Flour Tortillas

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00

4 cups Unbleached all purpose flour
2 teaspoons Salt
4 teaspoons Baking powder
2 tablespoons Vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups Warm water or more if needed

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking powder. With a pastry blender, a fork or your hands, gradually work in the lard or shortening until it is all incorporated. Add enough warm water to make a soft but not sticky dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes.

Divide the dough into 1/4 cup (3 oz) portions and form them into balls.

Roll each ball into a flat round about 6 inches in diameter and 1/8 inches thick.

Heat a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Place the tortillas one at a time into the dry hot skillet; cook until brown on one side, then turn and brown the other side.

Remove from the skillet and keep warm in cloth towel.

Source:
"Southwest cookbook"

Flour/Wheat Tortillas

Recipe By :

3 cups white all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup lard or vegtable shortening
1 cup hot water

Mix the flour and salt. Mix in the lard by hand until the mixture resembles small peas. Add the water slowly until you have a soft elastic ball. You may need to add a little more or less water, but do it slowly. You may not really need as much water as you think you do. Knead until smooth. Cover with a damp towel and then let rest 15 minutes.

Make about 7-9 equal size balls. Flatten and roll each ball into a flat round disk. Cook on a very hot cast iron skillet. No oil is necessary. Flip when bottom side is golden, the top should be bubbling slightly when ready. Use a spatula to lift the edge and check for doneness before flipping completely. Keep the cooked tortillas warm by covering with a damp towel while you continue to cook.

Wheat Tortillas

To make wheat tortillas, use the above flour tortilla recipe and substitute wheat flour for 1/4 to 2/3 of the white flour. Wheat flour is a little tougher, so the amount used is based on your personal taste. You may substitute, all the white flour if you wish but use less than called for.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: No Masa Harina Tortillas for Roxanne by bjcotton (Here's you some Swee...)
Ole! I'm beginning to feel a little Mexican.

I love that bisquick recipe, Billy.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: No Masa Harina Tortillas for Roxanne by Half_Baked (Ole! I'm beginning ...)
Just curious, Billy, which is your favorite and which is the easiest to make? I always just buy fresh ones at the grocery store. Are they really better homemade?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
WOW!!!! Thank you Billy. I just love this "ask and you shall receive" space. It's not that we don't like or tolerate masa harina---it's not available here. I can purchase tortillas here--imported from Australia--but they are not always around. It can be six months or more before they are back on the shelves. When we have a craving-well, ya know.

Printed!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Billy, bless your heart, I wish you would preface your recipes with "I haven't tried, but..." You mislead us sometimes. We're going to blame your bad taste is one of these doesn't work...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: No Masa Harina Tortillas for Roxanne by cjs (Billy, bless your he...)
Sorry everyone...I haven't tried these recipes. Roxanne wanted some so I Googled it and found these. I too just buy mine at the store where they are always available.

Jean, I'll try to remember that...maybe hang a post it on my screen.

Billy
  Re: Re: No Masa Harina Tortillas for Roxanne by bjcotton (Sorry everyone...I h...)
"maybe hang a post it on my screen." - or hang it on something, bless your heart....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: No Masa Harina Tortillas for Roxanne by cjs ("maybe hang a post i...)
Much appreciated anyway---I will choose the one that I think will work best according to the ingredients I have available---I will also use that bisquick recipe (from scratch) that Billy posted before. That was a winner for those of us that know what bisquick is and can't purchase off of the shelf.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: No Masa Harina Tortillas for Roxanne by Roxanne 21 (Much appreciated any...)
I have to admit here Roxanne, I got that Bisquick recipe from Jean [that's where I steal most of my good recipes ].

Billy