You get old, you forget
  Re: (...)
So, I read the reviews of the tortilla soup and I decided, gee, I've got to look that up and try it. Winter finally arrived in NE Ohio so a good soup sounded good. I started leaving through the splendid soups book and came across black bean soup and went out to buy the ingredients. (Tortilla, black bean - it's all the same to me - don't forget I speak Spanish fluently, lived in S. America for 8 years, attented the U of Madrid for a year).

Aside from the fact that I can't remember which recipe to look up, let me tell you the black bean soup is OUTSTANDING. I did not use canned beans, I simmered dried ones. Other than that I followed the recipe faithfully - including the pico do gallo, and the pork kebobs. I'm pleased to report that except for the meat, there are plenty of leftovers and the weather is predicted to be lousy through Monday so there will be plenty of leftovers.

I highly recommend this soup.
  Re: You get old, you forget by lxxf (So, I read the revie...)
Too funny! Don't you hate it when that happens?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: You get old, you forget by pjcooks (Too funny! Don't yo...)
How many times have I started out with one recipe and ended up with something TOTALLY different---I wonder why that happens??? But it's always fun---we can go back and make the original recipe thought another day, I s'pose--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: You get old, you forget by lxxf (So, I read the revie...)
We too enjoyed the Black Bean Soup and I prefer starting with dried beans. If I remember correctly (I forgot to mark up the recipe...darn) I decided on the pork next time I'd play with the spices a little, seems we thot it needed a slight ooomph. But, overall very good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: You get old, you forget by cjs (We too enjoyed the B...)
Do you think the Black Bean Soup would freeze well, or would the beans go to mush? I'm trying to think of things I can make and freeze for him while I'm there, and this is right up his alley!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: You get old, you forget by Lorraine (Do you think the Bla...)
Lorraine, I think it would be fine - I normally freeze black bean soup - in fact we had some Black Bean chili I've had in the freezer last nite and it was just fine.

pssst...Lorraine, have you notice how I've cleaned up my language on this forum?? Check out the 'darn' above. I'm doing right well...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: You get old, you forget by cjs (Lorraine, I think it...)
" I'm doing right well... "

I'm so.....proud of you, Jean. LOL

OK, so, I'll make it for him while I'm there. I'm going to start another thread on this.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.