Heatlhy Eating
  Re: (...)
By day, he's a Chef, by night, he's a junk food eater. I'm trying to think of things I can make and freeze while I'm there so that when he gets home at night, he doesn't order in a greasy pizza, or fried chicken. He really likes beans, and pork. He never eats a salad, never cooks green veggies unless it's collard greens, I have my work cut out for me.

For those of you who have all the back issues, are there some you can recommend that I could make and freeze?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Heatlhy Eating by Lorraine (By day, he's a Chef,...)
Lorraine, When I make Marlenes Taco Pie I always freeze 1 of them and there great reheated.I always feel like i'm splurging when I have this, ohh by the way I know someone who makes what I consider to be the best "ham & beans" soup since he likes beans, and pork. I'll try to figure out how to post it
Vegetarian lasagna
I make up turkey/chicken hotdogs and grill them up and them put them into the buns. (I use the Wonderlight buns as they are 1/2 the carbs) and then wrap them in parchment paper and then foil. You can pop them into the oven to heat or remove the foil and heat in the microwave.

Sheppards Pie. I individually package up slices. Good way to hide veggies

Does he like any green veggies? What about fried brussel sprouts? I blanch them and then saute them in bacon drippings. Very yummy.
  Re: Re: Heatlhy Eating by DFen911 (Vegetarian lasagna[b...)
Tracie, I forgot about Marlene's pie (and never thought about freezing it) , and I think I may have the recipe for that soup! He'd love either one of those.LOL

Vegetarian Lasagne, perfect thing to make and freeze!! I've never seen him eat a salad other than caesar, so I'll be making the Chicken roulades. He's eaten veggies when I've cooked them, he's just too tired when he gets home to do it. So, if I can incorporate them in dishes and freeze them, at least it will be more nutritious than what he's eating now. Personally, I think he needs me to move there and take care of him. I forgot to mention he doesn't have a stove yet. So, I'll be cooking with an electric frying pan and microwave, or at the Inn during off hours.
  Re: Re: Heatlhy Eating by Lorraine (Tracie, I forgot abo...)
Do you have a food saver? I make entire meals and freeze them up for my hubby. So when I'm at school he only has to pull one out of the meat section, one out of the veggie section and then one out of the carb section. He doesn't have to read anything, just grab, heat and eat He loves it!
  Re: Re: Heatlhy Eating by DFen911 (Do you have a food s...)
Denise, Roy and your husband must meet one day - they have both put us thru school eating out of pouches!!! (Gil might as well join the group!)

Lorraine - Mike Rodman's Chix & Leek Cass would freeze also.

and for junk food, how about this -

roll out crescent triangles put a hot dog on the wide end, roll up, bake the little suckers up and freeze individually in baggies and he can pop one in the microwave. (great with cheese melted over the top, or saurkraut, or......)

here's one that freezes well - and can be eaten hot or cold.
* Exported from MasterCook *

OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN

chicken pieces
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese -- grated
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Dash pepper
1 egg -- slightly beaten
2 T. milk

Rinse chicken; pat dry.
In a plastic bag combine all but egg & milk.
combine the egg & milk in a shallow dish.
Dip chicken in egg mix.; place chicken 2-3 pcs. at a time in plastic bag.
Shake to coat.

Place chicken, skin side up in an oven proof pan .
Bake 375 for 35 to 45 min. or till Chicken reaches 160°.

Chicken can be eaten hot or cold - either way, it's delicious!
----

Also, his own Pork Chops & Rice Casserole (in da book) would work!!

Darn near any recipe in da book can be frozen...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
What about rice bowls.
You could make mexican with shredded beef or pork, beans, tomatoes, peppers, corn in tomato sauce and put in the glad ware individual bowls that go from freezer to microwave.

Chinese with cooked chicken a teriyaki sauce or brown garlic sauce with peppers, pea pods, brocoli, carrots sauted. Same just put over cooked rice and nuke to warm up.

Little meatloaves cooked in muffin tins or mini loaf pans -again just cook - freeze individual and reheat. Easy to sneak in shredded zuchini or shredded carrot for extra vegis.

Make making the rice bowls easier by roasting up two or three chickens at once, shred and use - could also make up individual pot pies lots of vegies to include. Same with the beef -do a large pot roast and make up into potroast meals to reheat and shred some for rice bowls.

What about bags of frozen corn and petite peas - they are so easy to nuke to heat. My kids love them! Better than some frozen vegies - 3 minutes on high with about 1 tbsp water and a serving is done.

Good Luck
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Heatlhy Eating by esgunn (What about rice bowl...)
"Little meatloaves cooked in muffin tins or mini loaf pans -again just cook" - yes!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Heatlhy Eating by cjs (Denise, Roy and your...)
"Also, his own Pork Chops & Rice Casserole (in da book) would work!!

Darn near any recipe in da book can be frozen... "

And, we both have da book!!! I think maybe I'm trying too hard. I'll go through the book while I'm there, and buy lots of freezer containers. Thanks, all.
  Re: Re: Heatlhy Eating by Lorraine ("Also, his own Pork ...)
Jean we would love that! And, you posted a PERFECT recipe. I was just talking with my boss who celebrated his one year anniversary from open heart surgery. And one of the things he misses is fried chicken. I told him there are good recipes for oven fried chicken that don't use all that oil. And here I come and you've posted one

I think I'll make this this weekend and bring him in some for a tasting.