Pea Salad
  Re: (...)
MIL asked me to bring pea salad to our Christmas get-together this weekend. I'm not real fond of this...does anyone have a tried and true recipe?????
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Pea Salad by Bizymomma (MIL asked me to brin...)
Ugh - just lost the first post. Will try again.
This is a family favorite and really easy. I don't even really like peas - but I like this salad.

Pea Salad
3 bags Petite peas
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 bunch green onion chopped
salt and pepper
Miracle Whip

Blanch peas in boiling water. Rinse in cold water and drain well. Mix all ingredients with enough Miracle Whip to moisten well. Refrigerate a few hours to let flavors combine.

*Tip on Peas - use petite or tiny peas. Only cook long enough to thaw them. They should still be firm and sweet

** Tip on Miracle Whip. Use it - don't use Mayo - not the same flavor. Also use a little more than just enough to moisten the salad otherwise the flavors will be bland.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Pea Salad by esgunn (Ugh - just lost the ...)
I don't think I have ever had a pea salad---will check my books though, I must have something---oh,oh---you did say tried and true--sorry!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Pea Salad by Bizymomma (MIL asked me to brin...)
This one's been around for a hundred years, at least!! It's good and mixing the sugar and mayo gives the nice flavor as M.W. does in the above salad.

The Pea Pick'n Salad.

1 head of lettuce, cut up
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup Bermuda onion, sliced thin
1 box of frozen peas( do not cook)
2 cups mayonnaise
2 tsp sugar
4 ozs Grated cheddar cheese

Use a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Layer ingredients in order given. Spread mayo over. Sprinkle sugar over. Sprinkle cheese over. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours. Serves 12 or more. Can be garnished with crumbled cooked bacon or small tomato wedges at serving.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pea Salad by cjs (This one's been arou...)
I've never heard of Pea Salad, but darn, that sounds good!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pea Salad by Lorraine (I've never heard of ...)
The recipe that Jean posted is great! And she's right, it's been around a long time. I got it out of a church cookbook from Pa. that belonged to my husband's grandmother. I've used it many times and it looks pretty layered in a big glass bowl also, which you toss at the last minute. But it's really easier to serve it in squares. Thanks for reminding me of this recipe.

Oh, I just remembered, the recipe that I use calls for 1/2 lb. of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled on top.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pea Salad by Mare749 (The recipe that Jean...)
"1/2 lb. of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled on top"

Well, if it sounded good before, it sounds even better now!!! I know he'll love it! And me too!Thx.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pea Salad by Lorraine ("1/2 lb. of bacon, c...)
Thanks everyone for your recommendations!! I knew I could depend on you for your help!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Pea Salad by Lorraine (I've never heard of ...)
Lorraine, I've never heard of it either, and the bacon-well, of course, just about everything tastes better with bacon!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Pea Salad by pjcooks (Lorraine, I've never...)
You're right Maryann, I add a layer of bacon also - looking over the recipe again, I also mix the sugar and mayo together to spread over the top. I can't remember the last time I made this, probably when we still were doing pig roasts each year.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com