Potato Latkes
  Re: (...)
Mandy Patinkin Potato Latkes

Recipe courtesy of Many Patinkin

6 large white potatoes
1 large onion
2 eggs (or ½ cup egg substitute)
2 egg whites
2/3 cup flour or matzo meal (I always use matzo)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp white pepper
Peanut oil for frying

Peel potatoes and onion. (If not using immediately, place in cold water.) Grate with the shredding blade of the food processor—or on a box grater (large holes). (The processor works beautifully and ohh sooo fast!!!

Put grated potatoes in a large strainer and press out liquid. Pour cold water over the potatoes and press out liquid once more. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add onions.

Beat eggs and egg whites until thick. Add to potatoes and onions. Add flour or matzo meal, baking powder and seasonings. Mix well.

Heat oil in frying pan over moderate high heat. When ready, drop batter by large spoonfuls to form oval shapes. Fry until brown on one side; turn to brown other side. Remove from frying pan and drain on paper towels.

Serve with sour cream or applesauce---or both.

NOTE: I usually make 1/3 of this recipe (only two of us) and get 4-6 good sized latkes. They do NOT reheat very well---get kind of rubbery but I haven’t tried the microwave option for this ---any thoughts?

These are the BEST latkes I have ever made—and I have made dozens of recipes looking for the right one. Most recipes come out like lead bricks---really heavy. These are nice and light and DH’s favorite latke recipe (Daughter is about ready to send her yearly request for the recipe because she has misplaced it again!!! LOL)

These are also a great side any time of year!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Potato Latkes by Roxanne 21 (Mandy Patinkin Potat...)
Love Latkes - thanks Roxanne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Potato Latkes by cjs (Love Latkes - thanks...)
MMMMmmmm, Latkes, what could be bad??!!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Potato Latkes by farnfam (MMMMmmmm, Latkes, wh...)
I love them too. I'm going to trust you that's this is the best recipe ever and give them a try when Mr HB wants a big breakfast.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Potato Latkes by Half_Baked (I love them too. I'...)
I love them too. Will do small ones for apps, with a bit of sour cream and caviar. Thx
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Potato Latkes by Roxanne 21 (Mandy Patinkin Potat...)
who loved latkas, and would grease up the whole kitchen a couple of times a year. I''ve been thinking about them recently. I've tried them a couple of times and I guess I can't control the temperature on the range. What temp should the oil be?
  Re: Re: Potato Latkes by Lorraine (I love them too. Wi...)
"Will do small ones for apps, with a bit of sour cream and caviar. Thx "

O.K., another dish added to Christmas Menu - it's beginning to look like Thanksgivig menu where it took me almost a week to cook all the dishes I'd picked out!!! (I mean a week AFTER Thanksgiving...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Potato Latkes by cjs ("Will do small ones ...)
LOL I'll skip the caviar, I think he's curing some salmon for New Year's Eve.
  Re: Flashing back to my father by lxxf (who loved latkas, an...)
Okay--I hope this helps. You should have about 1/4 inch of oil in your skillet or saute pan and bring to a shimmer--not smoking--about 350 degrees over medium high heat. You want the exterior nice and brown/golden/crisp but the inside nice and creamy--however the potatoes cooked.

Those appys sound great--never thought of that!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Flashing back to my father by Roxanne 21 (Okay--I hope this he...)
I was always told you want the outside to brown slowly, to give the inside a chance to cook without burning the outside. Took a bit of practice on my part.