Floating Cake w/ Fresh Berries & Raspberry Sauce
  Re: (...)
I typed out this long long long recipe and hit submit. Then they said I had taken to long to type it out and the post was no longer valid........

I'll go type it on Wordpad.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Floating Cake w/ Fresh Berries & Raspberry Sauce by Half_Baked (I typed out this lon...)
Oh, don't you hate that?? We'll wait...not patiently tho
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Floating Cake w/ Fresh Berries & Raspberry Sauce by cjs (Oh, don't you hate t...)
Floating Cake with Fresh Berries and Raspberry Sauce

Make 2 cakes to serve 24. Prepare each meringue separately. There is enough caramel for 2 cakes.

12 servings

Preparing bundt pan
Butter
Superfine sugar

Meringue
8 egg whites, room temp
1/4 t cream of tartar
1/8 t salt
1 cup superfine sugar
1/4 t almond extract

Caramel
2 T hot water
2 T light corn syrup
1/2 c superfine sugar

Fresh raspberries and/or strawberries.
Whipped Cream served on the side, if desired. (I desired)
Raspberry Sauce (see recipe)

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Generously butter 12 c bundt pan (preferably non-stick) and sprinkle with superfine sugar, tapping out excess. Cut parchment to cover top of pan: butter paper.

For meringue:
Beat whites with cream of tartar and salt in large bowl of electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add 1 cup sugar 1 T at a time, beating until whites are stiff and shiny. Mix in almond extract. Gently spoon meringue into prepared pan, smoothing surface to release air pockets. Cover with parchment, buttered side down. Place in deep roasting pan. Pour boiling water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of bundt pan. Bake until top of meringue rises about 1" above edge of pan and is lightly colored, about 30 minutes. Transfer bundt pan to rack and cool completely. (can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover top with plastic and refrigerate.)

Remove parchment from top. Dip pan into warm water several seconds, then invert onto serving platter. Blot any syrup on platter or top of meringue, using paper towels. (Meringue can be unmolded several hours ahead. Cover with bundt pan and refrigerate.)

For Caramel:
Combine water and syrup in small saucepan. Add sugar cook over low heat, swirling occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil until caramel colored. Cool until slightly thickened. Drizzle over meringue. (caramel can be prepared up to 1 hr ahead.)

Just before serving, fill center of meringue with berries. Spoon some raspberry sauce around meringue. Serve remaining sauce and berries sparately.

Raspberry Sauce - makes about 2 1/2 cups

2 - 10 oz pkgs frozen raspberries, thawed (undrained)
1/4 c superfine sugar
2 T framboise

Puree all ingedients in processor. Strain into small bowl and refigerate. (can be prepared 2 days ahead.)

OR for a more brittle drizzle (this is the one I like and I made it from JC's recipe. I forgot it wasn't on this recipe. I just prefer the more brittle drizzle) BUT the original drizzle could have been too soft because of Cook Error as there isn't much difference.

1 c sugar
1/3 c water

Heat the sugar and water in a small pan, swirling until sugar dissolves completely. Cover and boil without stirring until it's a nice caramel color. Let cool until you can lift the syrup with a fork and dribbble thick strand decoratively over the meringue. I think I may have boiled this almost to the hard crack stage....CRS!
Jan

Re: Re: Floating Cake w/ Fresh Berries & Raspberry Sauce by Half_Baked (Floating Cake with F...)
OOO---doesn't that look interesting!!! Quite a different take on Pavlova---a more "high-rise" version, so to speak===I also make the brittle BUT I do the caramel bit and then put on a cookie sheet and let it harden. Then---I smash with the palm of my hand and the shards are my decoration---always a show stopper!!! The soft drizzle sounds good too---maybe a combination???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Floating Cake w/ Fresh Berries & Raspberry Sauce by Roxanne 21 (OOO---doesn't that l...)
Kinda a cross between Pavlova and Oeufs a la Neige. Two of my favorite desserts.
Jan

Re: Re: Floating Cake w/ Fresh Berries & Raspberry Sauce by Half_Baked (Kinda a cross betwee...)
oh my, looks so very good! Roxanne, why don't you post yours also - can't hurt to have lots of ideas with this dessert.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Floating Cake w/ Fresh Berries & Raspberry Sauce by cjs (oh my, looks so very...)
Yes, please do Roxanne, I'm very interested in this dessert. Never had it, I don't think, but it sure sounds good and my family would love it.

Thanks Jan for posting yours, sorry you had to type it twice.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Floating Cake w/ Fresh Berries & Raspberry Sauce by Mare749 (Yes, please do Roxan...)
btw, the Floating Cake is from Bon Appetit.
Jan