Pancake
  Re: (...)
I have been experimenting with recipes for pancakes and I have got the flavor just right. My problem is that the pancakes are too dense. Any suggestions on what I can add to the mix to lighten them up? Make them fluffier?
Mike _SD
  Re: Pancake by mgillett (I have been experime...)
Maybe whipped egg whites?

Someone with more experience will be her shortly or tomorrow morning to help with your question.

btw, welcome to Cuisine at Home
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Pancake by mgillett (I have been experime...)
Hi there and welcome to the forum! I'm no expert on pancakes, but there is a possibility that your batter is a little too thick or that you have overmixed it. I always make my batter thinner than I think it should be, then leave it on the counter for a little while before I use it. Like most things, it's trial and error.

If you just sit tight, there is a lady on this forum that I have heard makes some wonderful pancakes (yes, Jean, I do mean you) and I'm sure she can offer some good advice.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pancake by Mare749 (Hi there and welcome...)
"I'm no expert on pancakes," - as I read that I thot, "man, me either!!"

By fluffy, do you mean thicker or lighter and higher? The suggestion of beaten whites would certainly help with the second. I'm afraid that's not the kind of pancakes I prefer, so I can't really help.

I like mine as Maryann, thin batter and turned just as the bubbles start showing. Now, if you're talking flavor, there I can offer a pancake recipe that is a wonderful family treat!

WALLACE'S PANCAKES

6 T. flour -- rounded (9.3 oz)
3 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda -- rounded
1/2 teaspoon baking powder -- shy
2 eggs
3 T. bacon grease
3 T. sugar

Mix all together & pour ~1/3 cup size pancakes.
The batter should be fairly thin.
Turn as soon as top has bubbles.

NOTES : Our whole family has loved these since I was a kid.

To use as waffles, cook for ~3 min. 40 seconds. These are so delicate, they will not keep - must eat them all!!
Recipe By: Wallace Thatcher
Description:
"the greatest pancakes (& now waffles) ever, from Uncle Wallace (my Great-Uncle)"

I used to make a blueberry syrup to serve with these that I thot was the best around, but...now I've tasted Lorraine's Blueberry Maple Syrup and my old recipe is in the attic. (of course maple syrup is great also!)

P.S. the reason for the 9.3 oz. of flour called out, is when I learned to make these as a kid, we had a large serving spoon that my Uncle Wallace used and he always heaped it up. Not real reliable way to measure, so finally weighed his amount.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pancake by cjs ("I'm no expert on pa...)
Now that's what I call a pancake!

This is the second time you have mentioned Lorraine's blueberry/maple syrup, now I'm hungry for that.

Lorraine, do you have a recipe for this that you would share? Thanks.
Maryann

Re: Re: Pancake by Mare749 (Now that's what I ca...)
Lighter would be with beaten egg whites foled into the batter---I usually beat the yolks for the batter and when every thing is mixed fold in the whites---makes a very light, crispy pancake. That's how we like them.

Lorraine did post her recipe for blueberry-maple syrup---I'll try to find and bump up for you--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pancake by Roxanne 21 (Lighter would be wit...)
I've used this method for waffles, but never have with pancakes, maybe I will try it one of these days.

Maryann - if you make the Blueberry Maple syrup, you might want to use the l/os this way. I had a couple slices of pound cake in the freezer - thawed them out, toasted them and spread with the rest of this syrup - my, was that tasty!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pancake by cjs (I've used this metho...)
OK, I know this is way off topic, but I saw "toasted pound cake". My most favourite way to do it, make it look like bacon, eggs, toast and ketchup. Toast the pound cake. Top with half a peach, this time of year I have to use canned. Melt some milk and white choclate separetly. On a piece of parchment paper, put alternate ribbons of the chocolate. Use a fork to kind of striate them. This becomes the bacon. Place the syrup in a squeeze top container, and that becomes the ketchup. I've had a great time with this one using it on unsuspecting guests.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pancake by Lorraine (OK, I know this is w...)
Oh my gosh! The only thing I like better than pancakes is toasted pound cake. What a great idea, thanks.
Maryann