Speaking of blueberry/maple----
  Re: (...)
Has anyone made the blueberry-maple mega-mall muffins from issue 21, page 36??? These are totally the BEST blueberry muffins--but then, could be a taste of home---NO mega muffins here.

I have been thinking about those pans that make the muffin tops---any opinions??

The maple flavor I ordered from Bakers Catalogue---before I used that I would go with almond extract---very nice as well. I also use frozen blueberries---when they are available here I always buy a ton of them and freeze---works just as well but gives a little more moisture---not a bad addition but needs a little more baking time. YUMMMM!!! I made these today as a treat for a special guest in the morning---GOOD recipe!!! The aroma is incredible!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Speaking of blueberry/maple---- by Roxanne 21 (Has anyone made the ...)
"The aroma is incredible"

Well, it is blueberries and maple"!!

I haven't made them, but I love that combination. I'm not a big muffing fan, and usually only make mini ones for our bake sales. I'd love to have the recipe if someone would be so kind as to post it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Speaking of blueberry/maple---- by Lorraine ("The aroma is incred...)
Here ya go!!!

MEGA MALL MUFFINS

BLUEBERRY – MAPLE MUFFINS

Makes 6 mega muffins
Work time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes

Whisk; Set aside:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 TBS Baking powder
½ tsp salt
Whisk; Set aside:
1 cup plain lowfat yogurt
¾ cup sugar
6 TBS unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs, room temp
½ tsp imitation maple flavoring ( I have also used almond with a good result but the maple is better if you have it).
Combine:
2 TBS all-purpose flour
2 TBS sugar
Add and toss:
1 cup fresh blueberries
Fold wet into dry mix:
Fold in coated blueberries
Top with:
Sugar, streusel or glaze—your choice---I have used the sugar coating, simple and pretty

Spray entire 12 cup muffin pan (inside and the surface between cups) with nonstick spray. A light gray nonstick pan works great. Stay away from dark pans—they overbrown.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Whisk dry ingredients. Whisk wet ingredients. Set both aside. Rinse fruit. Now gently toss the damp fruit in the flour/sugar mixture until coated.

Use a rubber spatula to fold wet ingredients into dry, just until flour is barely visible. Don’t over mix. The batter will be lumpy—that’s okay. Now gently fold in the coated fruit.

Fill cups using an ice cream scoop. Use a heaping ½ cup batter (about 2 scoops each). You want the batter mounded above the pan. Stagger muffins so tops don’t bake together. Note: I just use a large soup spoon and pile the batter in—simpler!!

Put sugar and streusel toppings on muffins before baking. If using sugar, generously sprinkle top of muffin. For streusel, gently press chunks onto top, leaving ¼ - ½ inch border,

Bake 20 – 25 minutes in center of oven. They’re done when inserted toothpick comes out clean. (If glazing, brush on glaze; bake additional minute).
Let sit 5 minutes. Remove; cool on a rack.
Note: I invert the muffins on a rack and they fall right out, fully intact. Trying to pry them out will take the tops off and spoil the muffin (not the taste though—LOL)

These are sooooo good!!!!

ISSUE 21, Page 36
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Speaking of blueberry/maple---- by Roxanne 21 (Here ya go!!! [img]...)
Thank you, Roxanne. I have real maple syrup, so I think I'll try subbing some of it for the sugar. A New Year's project!
  Re: Re: Speaking of blueberry/maple---- by Lorraine (Thank you, Roxanne. ...)
I think I am the only person in the world who really cannot stand blueberry muffins. (ducks) I don't like banana either or the apple..hhmm maybe it's fruit muffins I don't like. I like the pumpkin ones, but then don't like poppy seed either.

Hey! I got it...I think it's just I don't like muffins!! Come to think of it I don't like cupcakes either. Good lord it's not muffins or cupcakes...it must be a morbid fear of the wrappers!! That's it!! I'm cured! I'm free!!
  Re: Re: Speaking of blueberry/maple---- by DFen911 (I think I am the onl...)
"it must be a morbid fear of the wrappers!!"

LOL Denise, I can't remember the last time I used wrappers.