Balsamic Glaze
  Re: (...)
I see in one of Jean's threads that you are all talking about Crema di Balsamico. The commercial one I use is by Casa Rinaldi ( Italy) but I do make my own glaze for steak, vegetables, tomatos and salad greens.

Put into a saucepan 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Bring to boil and simmer 6 to 8 minutes or slightly thickened and syrupy. Can be used hot over meats or cool to spoon over salad/vegetables.

Looking at the Crema bottle, the ingredients are simple. Concentrated grape must ( which I dont have access to!!), balsamic vinegar ( 20% only??), modified starch and antioxidant. Hmmmm.
I have used my glaze very sucessfully on strawberries when I have not had the ' proper' stuff about. Also on occasion, I have further reduced it to intensify.
Give it a go.
  Re: Balsamic Glaze by Lyndee (I see in one of Jean...)
Thanks Lyndee, I will. This sounds fantastic!
Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Balsamic Glaze by Mare749 (Thanks Lyndee, I wil...)
I buy a commercial glaze called "Blaze" from Modena (can't remember what the brand name is). I recently purchased a few bottles of the Crema, but gave most of them away as gifts. I've made my own a few times, but have to confess, I had a hard time getting the right consistency. Too runny or balsamic tar.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Balsamic Glaze by Lorraine (I buy a commercial g...)
I reduce Balsamic quite often also, but I haven't added b. sugar - hmmmm, Lyn, will have to try the addition.

I was just curious to taste the Crema to see the taste of the product. Hopefully it's around here somewhere...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Balsamic Glaze by Lorraine (I buy a commercial g...)
Lorraine, the commercial product has modified starch ie thickener added, so you may never get the same consistency unless you add some also. I too have never had it exactly how I want it, but the flavour is great and its a lot cheaper!
The Crema is great for its ' clinging' qualities isn't it!
  Re: Re: Balsamic Glaze by Lyndee (Lorraine, the commer...)
I've always only just reduced balsamic to the thickness I want. I've never added anything to it. Balsamic is very sweet naturally, doesn't adding the sugar make it too sweet?

I made a balsamic dipping sauce last night for the foccacia bread we made in class and YUM!!
  Re: Re: Balsamic Glaze by DFen911 (I've always only jus...)
I Googled it and found it available in the US. Just in case though, I'm bringing 3 bottles home with me.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Balsamic Glaze by DFen911 (I've always only jus...)
Quote:

I've always only just reduced balsamic to the thickness I want. I've never added anything to it. Balsamic is very sweet naturally, doesn't adding the sugar make it too sweet?

I made a balsamic dipping sauce last night for the foccacia bread we made in class and YUM!!

I use Donna Hay's recipe and she is the brown sugar freak! The added sugar is fine tho....