Ever hear of a fried poached egg?
  Re: (...)
I was leafing through an issue of Gourmet magazine and it had a recipe for a variation of eggs Florentine. It called for the usual creamed spinach, but then it used a bound breaded fried poached egg. It sounds wonderful, but I doubt I could fry the thing without breaking it.
  Re: Ever hear of a fried poached egg? by lxxf (I was leafing throug...)
huh, sounds interesting - I'll bet one of the times a non-stick skillet will come in handy!! Will you post the recipe - if it works...or not.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ever hear of a fried poached egg? by cjs (huh, sounds interest...)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup plus 2 tsp all purpose flour
2 tbs finely chopped shallot
1 tbs unsalted butter
1 10oz box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/8 tsp fresly grated nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cups coarse fresh white bread crumbs
4 poached large eggs
3 oz thinly sliced serrano ham or prosciutto
7-8 cups vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1/4 tsp water

Whisk together cream and 2 tsp flour in a small bowl until just combined.

Cook shallot in butter in a 9-10 inch heavy skilled over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until shallot is softened, about 3 minutes. Add spinach, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and l/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until excess liquid is evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir cream mixture, then add to spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until cream is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Stir together bread crumbs, l/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a shallow bowl. Spread remaining 1/2 cup flour on a plate and set aside for dredging.

Gently blot any water from top of poached eggs with paper towels, then sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.

Carefully dredge 1 poached egg in flour, dusting off excess. Transfer to beaten egg, spooning to coat completely, then transfer with a slotted spoon to bread crumbs, letting excess egg drip off. Coat with crumbs and transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining poached eggs, 1 at a time.

Cut sliced ham crosswise into l/4 inch strips.

Heat 1 1/2 inches oil in a 3-4 quart heavy saucepan over high heat until deep-fat thermometer registers 375F. Fry ham in oil, stirring occasionally with a clean slotted spoon to separate strips, until crisp, 15 to 20 seconds. Transfer ham to paper towels to drain.

Return oil to 375F.

Lower 2 eggs (1 at a time on slotted spoon) into hot oil and fry until golden brown, 15 to 20 seconds. Transfer fried eggs to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining 2 eggs.

Reheat spinach over low heat, stirring constantly and adding more cream or water to loosen mixture if necessary, about 1 minute.

Divide creamed spinach amont 4 plates, then top with poached eggs and ham.

I'm not going to have time to try this until after the holidays. Seems like a lot of oil to me. It sounds great, it's just a lot of handling something as fragile as a poached egg. If anyone has the inclination to try, I'd love to read a review.
  Re: Here Ya Go by lxxf (1 cup heavy cream[br...)
I have not tried this gem either, but it reads well to me, and I certainly will. It seems the yoke would maintain its liquidity with careful handling, and would be a joy on all sorts of things from salads to corn/potato/veggie fritters. And more besides. Could put all sorts of herbs in the breadcrumbs. Could put minced prawn (or something) in the egg wash, could do anything really. Thanks very much, a new horizen.
  Re: Ever hear of a fried poached egg? by lxxf (I was leafing throug...)
PS. I am of the opinion that eggs are tougher than they appear, like women I suppose.
  Re: Re: Ever hear of a fried poached egg? by vannin (PS. I am of the opi...)
I have deepfried soft boiled eggs before!! Just peel, flour, egg, then dip into seasoned pinhead oatmeal. Panko crumbs would be nice too.Deepfry until crisp. Great on a Caesar Salad with a twist!!