Saute Pan
  Re: (...)
BACKGROUND: I've been replacing my older cookware when it reaches the end of its life. I bought an All-Clad 12" ss skillet and love it. Unfortunately, when guests are here I can't get everything in that one pan (searing steaks). I thought that rather than buy another All-Clad skillet I would buy a Lodge cast iron and have a super pan for Southern Fried Chicken in addition to searing the steaks. I also love the Lodge, but it warms up slower than the All-Clad and retains heat better, with the result that it is a lot of work to get both sets of steaks to come out perfect.
THE QUESTION: I read in CAH that the "must have" pan would be a 3qt ss All-Clad Saute. While browsing All-Clad at cookwarenmore, I noticed that the 4 qt Saute is only about $10 more than a 3qt, which seemed like a bit of a deal to me. The diameter of the pans is the same, but the 3 qt is 2 1/2 inches high and the 4 qt is 3 1/4 inches high. The extra capacity might give me another pan slightly smaller than my LeCreuset French oven which would be a plus. Are there any disadvantages to the additional height, in terms of turning steaks, or otherwise? Thanks in advance.
  Re: Saute Pan by Ron (BACKGROUND: I've bee...)
I have the 3qt and love it. I bought the 4qt Cuisenart on sale just for big recipes and rarely use it. The 3qt will suffice you 95% of the time. I love my All Clad--nothing else compares.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Saute Pan by Old Bay (I have the 3qt and l...)
I have a cast iron 3 qt that I use for just about everything. No All-Clad here () but someday when I have easy access I think that that particular product is the one I would replace my present set with. Your description of the 3 vs 4 qt doesn't seem to make any difference ---just more space at the top which is good for more quantity, I guess. What do I know??? Nothing---the pros will be along shortly---you can trust them--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Saute Pan by Roxanne 21 (I have a cast iron 3...)
Thanks for the input. I know conventional wisdom is to go and see cookware in person, but I choose to live on a lake in northern Minnesota and the nearest upscale cookware is 150 miles away. I got out my ruler - my A-C skillet is 2" high and my Lodge skillet is 2.5", so I at least have a frame of reference. BTW, I bought my LeCreseut two years ago. I phoned an outlet store to ask a question and they gave me an unbelievable 2/3 off on the last French Oven they had in a discontinued color. It was Grey and it matched the anodized aluminum on my Calphalon, so that worked just fine for me. My A-C I bought from Cookwarenmore, which sells A-C cosmetic seconds. I'm fussy and I couldn't see any problem with the skillet. Besides, as far as I'm concerned, every piece of cookware is a second as soon as I use it anyway. Prices there are 1/3 off all year, with an additional 20% when they have a sale.
  Re: Re: Saute Pan by Ron (Thanks for the input...)
hmmmmm, personal opinion here, but I would buy the biggest cast iron skillet available for cooking lots of steaks. To me, nothing does a better job - except grilling them.

I'm afraid the deeper the AllClad (or any) skillet the more likely your steaks will do a simmer rather than cook properly.

I rarely cook steaks for more than four (at least since retirement) so I have a cast iron skillet that works great, but I do have a huge one that holds 10 lbs. of fried potatoes and onions that I would use for a crowd of steak lovers.

Don't know if any of this rambling helps...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saute Pan by cjs (hmmmmm, personal opi...)
Since I don't own any AllClad (yet!) I use a large Lodge cast iron skillet, the most used piece in my kitchen. (and the most loved)

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saute Pan by Ron (Thanks for the input...)
Welcome Ron! That's a pretty interesting site.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Saute Pan by bjcotton (Welcome Ron! That's...)
Quote:

Welcome Ron! That's a pretty interesting site.

I know lots of people who have bought from them. Nobody, myself included, could tell why the pans were called seconds, even under close inspection, and they have all performed well with no problems. If you can buy during one of their sales when they have an additional 20% off you can get A-C at an affordable price.
PS: Be aware that they do stamp a large "S" on the underside of the handle. Personally I could care less.
  Re: Re: Saute Pan by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
To the Lodge fans: I have one and do like it (unbeatable for Southern Fried Chicken and cornbread) but want a pan that is non-reactive. Also, I just love how easy the ss is to maintain.
  Re: Re: Saute Pan by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I wouldn't care either Ron. As long as it cooked as advertised, a flaw means nothing to me...as if I didn't have any
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy