Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions?
  Re: (...)
Hello Everyone. I am so excited to be apart of this forum. As many of you, cooking is my passion and I love C@H. Everytime a new issue arrives it is like Christmas.
I am in need of my first ss skillet. There are so many on the market and I am somewhat confused on all the different brands. Does more exspenive necessarily mean better performance? Thanks.
Karen
  Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? by kmberd (Hello Everyone. I a...)
WELCOME kmberd!!! You're in the right place for your questions to be answered---but not by me, I'm afraid

There was a thread a little while back on ss pans and it seemed that the more professional/advanced cooks were leaning toward the All Clad---certainly appears to be a superior product and will be the one I choose when I replace my present set. I have a ss set now but it is from the Dansk line---I'm not sure that even exists anymore. Has been my friend in the kitchen for over 25 years and still like new.

We bought our daughter a set of Cuisinart last year for a house warming gift and she absolutely LOVES it--there are great sales going on now--maybe you could get a great bargain. I might suggest that you go to your local kitchenware outlet and see if you can handle the products and judge from there?? GOOD LUCK on your choice---others will be along shortly---ones that know the American market better than I do.

Come visit again!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Welcome, Karen!

More expensive does not necessarily mean better. Of course, price is an indicator of quality, but that doesn't mean you need to shell out big bucks for a TOL ss skillet when a mid price one may work well for you. Is this something you'll use all the time? Is weight an issue for you? I'm happier with heavy pans.

I bought a $40 (heavy) ss skillet about 20 yrs ago from the now defunct Kitchen Etc. Although I don't use it as much these days as I used to, it's seen a lot of use and still looks brand new. I can't even tell you the brand, it may have been their own.

I think I recently read a review on this in one of my cooking mags. I'll go look and report back.

PJ
PJ
Welcome to the forums Karen!! I agree, you don't have to pay top dollar to get a good, dependable sst skillet. I'm sure everyone on here has their favorites - we have gotten our kids/grandchildren sets and pieces of Farberware and I also used Farberware for catering and schlepping around. It held up great.

Over the last few years I've been buying AllClad and have all the pieces I want (I think...), but it's so expensive and it's the last I'm planning on buying in my lifetime!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Karen, I've been trying to link you to an article about this, but not having my ITs here (yes, my kids) I can't get it to work.

Anyways, here ya go (source-CI 5/2003)

Favorites are:

All-Clad 12" $125, 2#14oz and Viking 11" $140, 3#9oz

Best Buys:

Calphalon 12" Omelet $63.95 3#2oz & Farberware Milennium 12"covered skillet $69.99 3#11oz

Recommended with reservations were Emerilware $60, Cuisinart $100, Kitchenaid $119 and Le Creuset $86.

Hope this helps!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? by pjcooks (Karen, I've been try...)
thanks for the all the information. It really does help in my decision making. The more and more I research I am finding out that the All-Clad seems to stand out. Now I just have to decide on the 12 inch or 10 inch. Happy New Year!!!
Karen
  Re: Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? by kmberd (thanks for the all t...)
Quote:

thanks for the all the information. It really does help in my decision making. The more and more I research I am finding out that the All-Clad seems to stand out. Now I just have to decide on the 12 inch or 10 inch. Happy New Year!!!

Karen, I have a 12" All-Clad and love it. I would recommend the 12" over the 10" because the 12" is the diameter across the top and the pan has sharply flaired sides - there is only 9" flat cooking surface in the 12". Unless you cook really small amounts, you might have crowding in the 10".
  Re: Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)

Karen, I have a 12" All-Clad and love it. I would recommend the 12" over the 10" because the 12" is the diameter across the top and the pan has sharply flaired sides - there is only 9" flat cooking surface in the 12".

[/blockquote]

Wow, Ron, that's really good to know. I don't have any AC yet. My MIL wanted me to buy stainless steel, but I wanted everything to match ao I bought a set of Avocado Club Aluminum. At least those are gone but I sure wish I'd listened to her. I was in those crazy 20s.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks Ron. I would have never have known that until I were to use it for the first time. So with everyones help I have decided on the 12" All-Clad SS pan. This will be my first piece of my "dream" set of cookware. I am currently using the ns Pampered Chef cookware line that I am not happy with anymore. thanks!!!
Karen
  Re: Re: Need new ss skillet. Any suggestions? by kmberd (Thanks Ron. I would ...)
You'll never be sorry Karen!! I have both sizes and must say I use the heck out of both!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com