Chorizo
  Re: (...)
I bought a pound of chorizo at the local Fred Meyer Supermarket the other day and don't know what to do with it. Marilee and her hubby don't like greasey stuff and Fredia won't/can't eat spicy stuff, so it kind of sounds like I'm out of luck with it. Maybe Dave and Jackie will take it up and share it with Jean.

Just talked with Dave, Jean. He doesn't want it either, but will bring it up to you. Darn! I thought I'd make a big breakfast, but if no one will eat it, it's no use. Enjoy Jean.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Chorizo by bjcotton (I bought a pound of ...)
Hey, Billy, my (sort of) brother in law bought us a # or 2 of choriz from a Portuguese market in New Bedford, I think. Their Mom is Portuguese, and they track down the real (Can you say strong?) stuff. I just threw it on the grill, split, and served it in some sub rolls I just made with hot mustard, of course. Now, remember the boyfriend is the Picky One, who will only eat cheese if it's on a pizza or in a grilled cheese sandwich, but he can put away the chorize and hot mustard like there's no tomorrow.

Chorize and chicken are good together, I think there was a thread here a while ago. (Jean, I'm channelling...)

I'll take a look. It's actually pretty good stuff, if you like garlic.

PJ

Just found Jean's recipe! Here ya go.

This recipe is a perfect example of Clams and sausage working together in a dish - and to add another element to it, it's great served over Fried Rice.

* Exported from MasterCook *

CLAMS WITH SAUSAGE AND CHICKEN

Recipe By :Tastes of the Paific Northwest

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

2 medium onions -- sliced thinly
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic -- minced
½ pound spicy sausage -- cut into ½ inch slices (a Chorizo sausage will work in this dish also)
¼ pound prosciutto or smoked ham -- chopped finely
1 whole chicken breast -- skinned, boned and cut in 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups tomato pulp (seed and juice or use canned tomatoes)
½ cup minced Italian parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
1 small bay leaf
1 jalapeno pepper -- seeded and minced
½ cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
3 pounds steamer clams

1. Sauté onion in butter and olive oil over medium heat in large skillet until lightly colored, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes. Stir in all other ingredients except clams. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to cook chicken and evaporate most of liquid.

2. Place clams on top of mixture, cover, raise heat to high and steam until clams open, 5-7 minutes. (Discard clams that don't open.) Serve in warm bowls.
Serves 4-6

The principal ingredients of this dish retain their distinctiveness while coming together in a spicy, aromatic broth that should be sopped up with crusty bread. As the British learned in the tropics, the best season for hot, spicy food might well be when it's hottest. A chilled, Pacific Northwest Sauvignon Blanc or cold beer or ale from one of the region's many microbreweries would be an ideal accompaniment.

cjdacook

Good without the clams, too! PJ

PJ
My mouth is watering! Chorizo and Eggs!! Fry up the Chorizo, then fry up the eggs, mix em together and throw them into a flour tortilla. YUM!!

I love S. Calif.
  Re: Re: Chorizo by pjcooks (Hey, Billy, my (sort...)
It's great (and a MUST) in a paella. Maybe can be subbed for an andouille in gumbo?? Not sure about that though.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Chorizo by Roxanne 21 (It's great (and a MU...)
hmmmm, something to play with, thanks Billy!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Like all sausages, they vary in spiciness and greasiness by who made them. I like chorizo with eggs if the sausage maker didn't go too heavy on the cayenne. If they run hot on the hot side, they go in gumbo.
  Re: Re: Chorizo by Ron (Like all sausages, t...)
Thanks for all the suggestions, but they are on their way to Jean. My brother Dave lives in the same town as Jean and Roy so they ought to be there sometime today. I like chorizo, it's just that no one else here does.

I agree about Love S. California. I used to stuff my face with all the good food down there, miss it something awful.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Chorizo by bjcotton (Thanks for all the s...)
Well, was doing a search for "chorizo," and found this old thread.

Billy (and other, fellow chorizo lovers), try the following:

Chorizo con Queso

Ingredients
  • 8 oz Chorizo, chopped
  • 2/3 to 1 c Onion, chopped
  • 8 oz Mushrooms, chopped
  • 4 oz can Chopped, green chiles
  • 2 tbs Butter
  • 1 lb Monterrey jack cheese, shredded or cut into cubes
  • 1 lg bag Tortilla chips for dipping
  • Optional: Powdered chipotle pepper to taste (I use about 2 tsp)
Directions
  1. In a large skillet or saucepan, brown the chorizo, drain, and set aside.
  2. In the same pan, saute the next three ingredients (with optional chipotle powder, if desired) in the butter until mushrooms are done and onions are translucent.
  3. Add cheese; stir until all melted.
  4. Stir in reserved chorizo.
  5. Serve hot as a dip for your favourite tortilla chips.
This was always a winner at parties, even when I had added the chipotle powder and the people said they didn't like hot things.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
I use it a lot--there are two varieties--the Mexican is made with fresh pork while Spanish is made with smoked pork. The label tells which is which. The paella is best with the Spanish while I like the Mexican with eggs and enchilades. Mexican is good in chile con queso. If you want to add smoke to a casserole, use the Spanish. Great stuff. Try some Tasso sometime (Cajun). We make a killer stuffed mushroom with Tasso.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Chorizo by Old Bay (I use it a lot--ther...)
Quote:

...--there are two varieties--the Mexican is made with fresh pork while Spanish is made with smoked pork.

The Spanish chorizo is smoked, and often dried, though sometimes fresh. The Mexican chorizo is fresh.

There is also Portuguese chouriço (and the similar linguiça) which is similar to the Spanish chorizo, but with different spices, and often containing wine. Also, Goan chouriço, which often has vinegar. Then there are the Phillipine variations called longaniza, which may even use chicken or beef, instead of pork.

A local variety of longaniza is the closest thing we have to chorizo here. It is good, but is just not the same as the Mexican chorizo.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?