Cooking Soul Mates
  Re: (...)
Have you ever looked thru a cookbook and wanted to make just every single recipe in the book?? I recently rec'd Tyler Florence's new book 'Tyler's Ultimate' and started looking thru it last nite.

I'm only on page 62 (Scallop Saltimbocca) and I'm ready to head for the kitchen and start at page 1 (Chicken Wings with Curry-Lime Butter)!!!!

I've made a few of his dishes over the years and have liked them, but I've never had one of his books. Flavor-wise and cookiing style, he is my soul mate . A few other cooks over the years I've found this to be true, Christina Ferrari (sp?) comes to mind, but not very darn often does this happen.

So, two questions in this thread - what do ya'all think of Tyler Florence, and have you also found soul mates with other cooks?

Marsha Adams, she did a lot of Ahmish dishes, was another one of mine...can't think of the 2 or 3 others right now.

I'm talking a cook/chef who you have made their dishes often enuf over the years, that you just know automatically you WILL make such and such a recipe because it's theirs? Your food/seasoning tastes are so alike.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cooking Soul Mates by cjs (Have you ever looked...)
Definitely, there's this retired chef that is always sharing her recipes, ideas and solutions with me. If I get a recipe from her, I just know it's going to be tasty and I'm going to like it. Can anyone guess her name? A clue, her first name is Catherine.....
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Cooking Soul Mates by bjcotton (Definitely, there's ...)
Oh Billy - but, we do have similar tastes, don't we?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cooking Soul Mates by cjs (Oh Billy - but, we d...)
We do Jean my love, mine is just not as adventurous as yours.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
OK - you asked for chefs/cooks you have followed for years - other than my mom - there are not too many I have followed for years.

Books/publishers other than C@H that I have found many favorites out of is Cooking Light Five Star recipes and a few other oxmore house cook books.

One person I have started watching and really like the look of her recipes (and have copied for my "New to Try" are Giada De Laurentiis - Every day Italian from Food Network.

And all my foodie friends here!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Cooking Soul Mates by esgunn (OK - you asked for c...)
Oh yes I have tried several of Giadas recipes and they all have been wonderful, especially her peas & proischutto(sp?),I just have a thing about peas
  Re: Re: Cooking Soul Mates by bjcotton (We do Jean my love, ...)
There are soo many that I connected with over the years but I guess my favorite would be Caprial Pence--every recipe of hers has been spot on!! Michael Smith--would be second even though I have no books of his--haven't really searched for one but I think I might.

I have seen Tyler on BBC food network a few times and I could definitely connect with him also---guess I will just order that book you are talking about, Jean.

And Giada---have two of her books as well as Ina Garten--Ina is a bit heavy on the fats and calories but if I change accordingly her recipes are okay.

C@H is the one I most often turn to though for new attempts. Cook's Illustrated is second.

James Martin--Britain based--is also an awesome chef---have a few of his books but I do have to change his recipes a bit too--I guess that is true for everyone--different tastes etc.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Cooking Soul Mates by Roxanne 21 (There are soo many t...)
"have a few of his books but I do have to change his recipes a bit too--I guess that is true for everyone--different tastes etc." - exactly what I'm talking about - it is so rare to find a chef/cook whose dishes need no tweaking at all to enjoy - and the three I mentioned are three found over, what, 50 years.

And, as Billy mentioned a few friends rank right up there at the top also in the same category.
www.achefsjourney.com
My mom and several of my aunts were excellent cooks. I grew up on a farm and we produced most of own vegetables and meat. My grandfather really taught us how to garden. We were doing Slow Food and organics before they became politically correct. Most of my aunts" cooking reflected our German heritage, but one of my aunts introduced us to Chinese and Mexican cooking and to seafood. Watching Julia Child, the Frugal Gourmet and Justin Wilson taught me how to approach cooking and to have fun while doing it. While I like many of the newer cookbooks I find myself going back to some older cookbooks - a 1943 edition on American Cooking that was put out by the Chicago Culinary Institute (before lard became a bad word), an out of print Ortho cookbook on Mexican cooking, The Romanoli's Table for Italian Cooking, Paul Prudhomme's Fork in the Road cookbook, and several of the old Time-Life books on cooking.
  Re: Re: Cooking Soul Mates by bjcotton (Definitely, there's ...)
Quote:

Definitely, there's this retired chef that is always sharing her recipes, ideas and solutions with me. If I get a recipe from her, I just know it's going to be tasty and I'm going to like it. Can anyone guess her name? A clue, her first name is Catherine.....

Billy, I told her almost the exact same thing. If I am reading recipes and not paying attention to the foodie/chef/cook, I can usually tell if it's Jean's and I know I'll like it...from soup to nuts!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.