Home Made Pasta
  Re: (...)
Let's talk homemade pasta - I have a pasta mahchine (you know the huge sucker that does the whole thing and extrudes whatever pasta shape you want - haven't used for years!) and the little machine that hooks to the counter and does the rolling and cutting. I haven't made pasta for probably 5 or 6 years, but I want to get back into it. (Mother Earth rides again! ) Two friends offered their methods and quantities for their dough - one has one egg and one calls for two eggs - same amount of flour.

a friend offered his way of making pasta:

My pasta is simple, 1 egg to 1 cup flour. Mix well and divide into 4 balls (saran wrap what you're not working with). I have an imperia pasta machine and I start with the thickest setting and run it through once. Then tri-fold and turn 90 degrees and repeat 2 more times. Then reduce your setting by half of your desired and repeat. You may have to split the second result in half to accomodate you machines width. Yes, you tri-fold and turn on this setting as well. Now the pasta dough is nice and mixed you set it for your final thickness. Run your dough and it will stretch into one long piece. I usually run it through twice to make sure it's even. Then you can run that through your cutter to make whatever you desire be it spaghetti or some type of noodles. Let it air dry on a rack or I usually make it and drop it into the pot for cooking. Takes seconds to cook fresh, and tastes soooo goood.

As far as thickness, look at the size of commercial products and that should be your initial guide.

another friend's advice:
My recipe's rule of thumb is :

1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2 eggs
good pinch of salt

I prefer not to add oil to my egg noodles, but add it to pasta made with durum semolina flour which usually makes stiffer dough.

All members answering have given excellent advice, particularly the recommendation to practice and the multiple mentions of wrapping your dough in platic wrap to retard drying.

I usually mix the dough and knead by hand until fairly smooth - 5 minutes or so - Then I pass it through the Old Imperia's rollers at the widest setting 8 times folding in half after each pass - After 8 passes the dough should be velvetty smooth. I then reduce the width by one notch and pass the dough thru once, reduce a notch and roll, so on but I stop at the next-to-the-last setting for Fettucine - I use the thinnest setting for Ravioli and Tortellini, Angel hair, etc.

I cut my noodles by hand usually but I also occaisionally use the roller cutters on the Imperia - and I cut them as soon as they are rol (I guess that means ready to roll...)
-----

Do any of you make your pasta? and what is your recipe and do you do anything out of the ordinary with it? I've made some spinach and carrot over the years - always wanted to try squid ink pasta, but haven't yet.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Home Made Pasta by cjs (Let's talk homemade ...)
One simple question Jean....ARE YOU KRAZY? They make pasta just fine at the store, cut it and dry it too! Works every time!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Home Made Pasta by bjcotton (One simple question ...)
Billy, this is a great new year's promise to make to yourself - you'll never have better tasting pasta, ever!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I have only made pasta twice with my KitchenAid attachments. It was great. I made Fettuccine and cheese ravioli. I just used the recipe in the book.

4 large eggs
1 Tbsp water
3 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt.

Yields 1 1/4 pounds dough.

Place ingredients in the mixer bowl. Attach bowl with flat beater. Turn to speed 2 and mix 30 seconds.

Exchange flat beater for dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and knead 2 minutes. Remove dough from bowl and hand knead for 1 to 2 minutes. Let it rest for 20 minutes. Divide dough into 4 pieces before processing with pasta sheet roller attachments.

There are also recipes in the book for Semolina egg pasta, Light wheat pasta, Whole wheat pasta, and Spinach pasta.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
I love the basic pasta recipe from CAH Issue 31. I made the three mushroom ragu with pappardelle from the same issue, and I loved it. I've been meaning to make the cannelloni (again from the same issue) for years, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

The fresh pappardelle was amazing. lol...however, I used the same recipe (I think!) to make a huge spaghetti dinner for a large group of people...it didn't taste any different than the box! Oh, well...at least the pappardelle was worth it.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Home Made Pasta by cjs (Billy, this is a gre...)
This is one item I have never tried to make from scratch. DH is not a big pasta fan sooo if I get the craving (rarely) I just throw a derving in from the box or 'fresh' from the market.

I have thought about making it---maybe this nudge will inspire me--have to get the equipment (gadgets again).

Any favorites you might have and why---comments please??
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy