Guess Where I Been....
  Re: (...)
I got some Walnut oil, some salt packed capers, some Rogue River Blue from the Rogue Creamery, Boschetto Al Tartufo, Gouda with Mustard Seeds, Gouda with Basil and Garlic, Sheep Queso Romero which is packed in Rosemary, a bottle of Prosecco, a box of Diamond Kosher Salt, 4 Organic Meyer Lemons and some Parmigiano Reggiano rinds for my niece to make some Minestrone soup with.....where I be? WHOLE FOODS, that's where! Such fun! They opened a new store South of Portland right off Interstate 5.

Oh yeah, they were having a "live" cheese tasting and the cheese they chose was the Rogue Blue. The cheese itself was delicious...the first flavor that hit my mouth was "Aaah, apples" and then the blue cheese hit, yum! I bought two small packages to see if the apple flavor was true or just an impression. Now, on to the "toast" they served it on. Most of these "toasts" I am NOT impressed with! This was NO exception. It was a brown bread, thinly cut with lots of seeds...IMO, it tasted like a very stale mistake someone meant to throw away. It wasn't, but that was my impression of it. The cheese, luckily, was tasty enough to make the stale bread a vague memory.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Guess Where I Been.... by bjcotton (I got some Walnut oi...)
How lucky you are! We have whole foods here but only up in Bellevue or Seattle. Not really on my daily travels!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Guess Where I Been.... by esgunn (How lucky you are! ...)
The only time I'm lucky Erin is when I come visit my sister. There are 3 of them in the Portland area...that's 175 miles one way.

Billy
  Re: Guess Where I Been.... by bjcotton (I got some Walnut oi...)
When we moved to Denver 30 years ago we had two similar stores that evolved out of the hippie culture in Boulder - Alfalfas and Wild Oats. Alfalfas was wonderful. They had an Amish Apple Sausage that was like a desert sausage and a Lentil Walnut Pate that I eventually learned to make myself. Alfalfas was eventually acquired by Wild Oats and those products disappeared. Then we got a Whole Foods less than a mile from our house. I really like their bulk foods and cheese sections and the olive bar. They have a Swiss Emmantaler cheese that is outstanding. The olive bar was excellent, but then went downhill. The new cheese manager has revived the olive bar. They have olives that are stuffed with anchovies that my wife even likes and she won't touch anchovies normally. They had a cheese tasting a year ago that had brie served on toasts with a cranberry chutney. Sorry to say I had to go back and try it several times. I've learned to make the cranberry chutney and found out it is also good on chicken and pork.
  Re: Re: Guess Where I Been.... by aardvarknav (When we moved to Den...)
Way to go Aardvaark! You're my kind of person. Tasting something several times just to make sure you like it is the way to go. I'm glad you experimented and got to where you could make it yourself too. I like to hear that! Now, about those recipes

Billy
  Re: Re: Guess Where I Been.... by bjcotton (The only time I'm lu...)
Sorry Billy - I realized that after I wrote the message! Oops. But I am sure you enjoyed it and got some real treasures. I was feeling pretty adventurous today because I bought some smoked Mozzarella. I have never tried it before. I have seen a few recipes lately for smoked cheese - of course I couldn't remember if it was smoked mozzarella or smoked gouda. Oh well - Nicky - one of my sons and I decided it was worth trying. We just heard on tv about a pizza and Nicky yelled out - It has smoked mozzarella - that's what we bought today. A real foodie in the making at 4 1/2 years.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Guess Where I Been.... by aardvarknav (When we moved to Den...)
Yes, please share!
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Guess Where I Been.... by esgunn (Yes, please share!...)
I need a Whole Foods fix...and a Smart & Final (or Cash & Carry) fix...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Guess Where I Been.... by cjs (I need a Whole Foods...)
I was at Cash & Carry the other day, I was a little disappointed. They had changed the whole store around and couldn't find some items they'd had in the past such as parchment paper. They did have a great big pizza knife though!

We went to the new Whole Foods and I was a little disappointed in it too. About 1/3 of the store was given over to various deli type counters and cafeteria type areas. They did have a sushi bar though. The grocery items were intersperced among the deli bars which made shopping kinds of a task. I liked the old store where all the deli type places were in one area instead of here and there throughout the store.

Billy
  Re: Re: Guess Where I Been.... by bjcotton (I was at Cash & Carr...)
Nice shopping BJ!

We have a Whole Foods about an hour away and they are building a Trader Joes in somewhat the same area (the rich part ).
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.