Joy and Marilee's Vegetable Soup
  Re: (...)
The entire pot of soup equals 5 points on the Weight Watcher scale....if you add the chicken. Without the chicken is is 1 point on the scale.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Joy's and Marilee's Vegetable Soup

Recipe By :Joy Mariner and Marilee Frigaard
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Soups-Stocks-Sandwiches

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cubes Knorr Tomato Bouillon with Chicken
1 head cauliflower
3 stalks broccoli
1 large sweet onion -- chopped
4 medium carrots -- chopped
2 tablespoons chopped garlic -- or to taste
32 ounces *chicken broth (98% fat free)
2 small zucchini -- optional

*Use either the chicken broth or water as you please. Marilee likes garlic, so she adds lots, do as you like.

Separate cauliflower and broccoli into flowerettes; chop onions and carrots.

Start the carrots simmering in the broth/water. Meanwhile saute the onions in a small amount of oil/butter until transparent; add the garlic and cook until fragrant, then add to the carrots.

Roughly chop the broccoli and cauliflower and add to the carrots. Peel the broccoli stems, chop and add to the mixture. Add the bouillon cubes and stir to dissolve. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Simmer until the vegetables reach the desired doneness. Some like the vegetables to cook until they begin to break down, others like them more al dente. Add the zucchini (if using) just before you take it off the heat.

Variations:
1. Add chunked chicken to taste.
2. Add a can of Mexican Salsa to taste.
3. Add 1 (or more) cubes of Knorr Chipotle bouillon.

What you add to the soup and how you season it, depends on the mood of the day.

Yield:
"6 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Joy and Marilee's Vegetable Soup by bjcotton (The entire pot of so...)
Thanks for sharing this recipe, Billy. I love veggie soups and this sounds very good---will have to think about those bouillon cubes, not available here but I can come up with an alternative
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Joy and Marilee's Vegetable Soup by Roxanne 21 (Thanks for sharing t...)
Roxanne, I wouldn't worry about the cubes. Just taste the soup and add salt until it suits you.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Joy and Marilee's Vegetable Soup by Roxanne 21 (Thanks for sharing t...)
Roxane, PM me your snailmail addy and I'll send you a couple of boxes...some of the chipotle bouillon too.

Marilee took the last of her soup to work this morning, so I just finished making a new batch. I must say, it is very tasty.

Billy
  Re: Re: Joy and Marilee's Vegetable Soup by bjcotton (Roxane, PM me your s...)
Another sub for the bouillon cubes, try a can of Rotel tomatoes, or any can of diced tomatoes, and a can of diced jalapenos to taste. If you don't want to add the chicken, another variation is to add 4 oz. of cubed Velveeta, but of course you have to add the points/calories.

Pretty tasty soup and very helpful with after holidays damage control.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Joy and Marilee's Vegetable Soup by bjcotton (Roxane, PM me your s...)
OHHHH--you are so very sweet and thoughtful, Billy. I'm afraid that the post charges would be X3 the actual item!!! LOL!!! I will pick some up when back in Mass with my Mom in March---boy, that list is getting extremely LONG!! Thanks, Billy!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Joy and Marilee's Vegetable Soup by Mare749 (Another sub for the ...)
Have you tried the Rotel tomatoes with green chiles Maryann? That's some spicy meatball.

Billy
  Re: Re: Joy and Marilee's Vegetable Soup by bjcotton (Have you tried the R...)
Yes, that's actually what I use. Guess I just worded it wrong. Wasn't sure if Roxanne could get Rotel. Now that I'm thinking about it, fresh tomatoes and chilis are probably more available to her and would be even better!

I know the Velveeta isn't exactly "gourmet" but it gives the soup a slightly richer flavor if you don't mind the calories.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Joy and Marilee's Vegetable Soup by Mare749 (Yes, that's actually...)
Maryann - you just get that word "gourmet" right out of your life!!!

If it's good, use it! So there.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Joy and Marilee's Vegetable Soup by cjs (Maryann - you just g...)
I'm with Jean, Maryann! If you like something, that's good enough for me. Some people raise their noses at using the canned Kirkland White Chicken from Costco. Not me, I like it and use it frequently, good stuff!

Billy